Beginner Questions About Pioneer UHD Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Apollo11

Beginner Questions About Pioneer UHD Drives

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi,

I’m new to ripping Blu-Rays and I’ve doing my best to understand which drive to get for ripping UHD discs.

Since most of the ones listed on this forum are either too expensive for me or internal drives (I want an external one) I’ve been zeroing in on a BDR-XD08UMB-S.

I know it’s not sold inside the EU but B&H Photo Video sells one for 140 USD + 21 USD shipping to Sweden where I live:
BDR-XD08UMB-S from B&H

My version of MakeMKV is 1.17.3 and I’ve paid for the license. My PC runs Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Below are the questions that have arisen for me and which I do not have an answer:
  1. If I go with the BDR-XD08UMB-S will I need to do any firmware flashing or will it work out of the box for UHD ripping?
  2. Since B&H ships from the US will I have to worry about region-locking? Or does some part of MakeMKV take care of that?
If my questions make it seem like I haven’t understood things properly please do be patient as as said earlier I’m new to ripping UHD discs.
PC:
- Desktop: i7-9700K with RTX 2080 8GB w/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

- Laptop 1: i7-12700H with RTX 3060 w/ Debian 12 Bookworm + GNOME.

- Laptop 2: i5-7300HQ with GTX 1050 4GB w/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Blu-Ray drive: Pioneer BDR-UD04 v1.14 Firmware.
Konten

Re: Beginner Questions About Pioneer UHD Drives

Post by Konten »

I have this drive and as long as it comes with firmware 1.01 or lower, it will work with MakeMKV out of the box. Just don't update to 1.02.

I have mine set to DVD Region 2 and MakeMKV has no issues with my R1 DVDs. All my Blu-rays work as well.

It's a very nice little drive. Built-quality is not quite as good as the BDR-XS07TUHD but I am very satisfied with it.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Konten wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:38 pm
I have this drive and as long as it comes with firmware 1.01 or lower, it will work with MakeMKV out of the box. Just don't update to 1.02.

I have mine set to DVD Region 2 and MakeMKV has no issues with my R1 DVDs. All my Blu-rays work as well.

It's a very nice little drive. Built-quality is not quite as good as the BDR-XS07TUHD but I am very satisfied with it.
I asked the B&H support and they said this:
Question: I am wondering which firmware version the BDR-XD08UMB-S Blu-Ray drive ships with presently?

------------Begin Transcript------------
Whitney H: Hello, my name is Whitney H. I am reviewing your opening comments and I will be with you in a few moments.
Whitney H: This would ship with the original firmware.
Whitney H: https://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/i ... #firmware1
Whitney H: Firmware updates can be provided once you have received the drive, and you can locate your firmware via the link above.
Whitney H: Located under Slim Portable BD/DVD/CD.
Apollo11: Ok, thanks! I see it now.
Whitney H: You're very welcome and Thank you for choosing B&H.
------------End Transcript------------
From what I can tell it comes with 1.01; would you draw the same conclusion?
PC:

dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

One of the things LibreDrive does is ignore region locking.

Internal drives can still be used as external drives by putting the drive in an enclosure. I have 3 internal drives, all in enclosures and sitting on my desk, all connected to my computer via USB. The Flashing Guide lists some enclosures that will work. I have two OWC Mercury Pro enclosures and one Vantec enclosure. My Pioneer drive doesn't fit in the OWC Mercury Pro enclosure, but it does fit in the Vantec. Hopefully something is locally available to you for a reasonable price.
Konten

Post by Konten »

Not really. It'll just come with whatever the latest available firmware was on the day it was manufactured.

I think that Pioneer usually put that date on the box but logistically it'll be tough to impossible to get this confirmed by any of the big mail-order retailers...

As 1.02 was released only on March 16th, I think you have a good chance that any new stock hasn't made it into the channel yet but I would order soon. And if you don't get lucky, you should hopefully be able to return the drive.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Konten wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:35 am
Not really. It'll just come with whatever the latest available firmware was on the day it was manufactured.

I think that Pioneer usually put that date on the box but logistically it'll be tough to impossible to get this confirmed by any of the big mail-order retailers...

As 1.02 was released only on March 16th, I think you have a good chance that any new stock hasn't made it into the channel yet but I would order soon. And if you don't get lucky, you should hopefully be able to return the drive.
Is there any reliable place to get the compatible Pioneer firmware for flashing?

EDIT: Could I get the 1.01 firmware version for the BDR-XD08UMB-S via the way described here?:
viewtopic.php?p=118903#p118903

I hope so but I need some help to construct the correct URL.
Last edited by Apollo11 on Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC:

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

the pioneer flasher is not public only a select few have it i have it and can sell you a flashed and tested pioneer drive if your in the USA.
marty is in the AU
asmcom is in UK and does all of Europe/ rest of world

i know we sound mean for not releasing the pioneer flasher but its not up to us and not our choice.
i think it will be released eventually
plus Mike the makemkv developer is coming up with his own downgrade solution soon
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Konten

Post by Konten »

Is there any reliable place to get the compatible Pioneer firmware for flashing?
You don't need to do any flashing. You will either get the drive with firmware 1.0 or 1.01 and all will be fine. Or you'll get it with 1.02 and then I think you will be out of luck for the moment.

I understand that if and when this changes and downgrade utilities become publicly available for Pioneer drives, it will be announced on the forum but there are others here who would know more about that than me.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

EDIT: After checking what's on offer from this forum I'm looking at this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266144803060

Is there a seller of this model with the right firmware that ships from inside the EU or without any customs fees etc. to Sweden?
Last edited by Apollo11 on Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC:

Konten

Post by Konten »

the pioneer flasher is not public only a select few have it i have it and can sell you a flashed and tested pioneer drive
Billy beat me to it... :)

Yes, if you want to be 100% certain and don't want the hassle of potentially having to return a drive overseas, you can always get one from these guys who all have great reputations!! Tested, guaranteed to work with LibreDrive and no DOAs which is rare but has happened to me...
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Konten wrote:

We can supply you with a Pioneer drive. If you are in the USA or Australia, Billy or Marty can supply you with a drive, and for the rest of the world, I "Asmcom" can supply you with a Pioneer drive.

Asmcom UK, WORLD & Europe
viewtopic.php?t=19387

Billy USA
viewtopic.php?t=17831

Marty Australia
viewtopic.php?t=18747
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Konten

Post by Konten »

asmcom wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 10:45 am
Konten wrote:

We can supply you with a Pioneer drive. If you are in the USA or Australia, Billy or Marty can supply you with a drive, and for the rest of the world, I "Asmcom" can supply you with a Pioneer drive.

Asmcom UK, WORLD & Europe
viewtopic.php?t=19387

Billy USA
viewtopic.php?t=17831

Marty Australia
viewtopic.php?t=18747
Thanks, my problem is I'm looking for a BDR-XS07TUHD and they don't seem to be available anywhere... At least not with firmware 1.01 or 1.02 as 1.03 locks it down... Or am I looking in the wrong places maybe?
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

We can supply you with a BDR-XS07TS Cross-Flashed to BDR-XS07TSUHD on firmware 1-02.

The performance is identical to the original BDR-XS07TUHD, the only difference being is the Crypto Chip which is not a big issue with LibreDrive taking care of this and the unofficial 4K Playback. In addition the colour of this model is silver.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266144759391

Please contact us if you are interested at email below.

uhdfriendlydrives@gmail.com

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Konten

Post by Konten »

asmcom wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:27 pm
We can supply you with a BDR-XS07TS Cross-Flashed to BDR-XS07TSUHD on firmware 1-02.

The performance is identical to the original BDR-XS07TUHD, the only difference being is the Crypto Chip which is not a big issue with LibreDrive taking care of this and the unofficial 4K Playback. In addition the colour of this model is silver.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266144759391

Please contact us if you are interested at email below.

uhdfriendlydrives@gmail.com

Asmcom :mrgreen:
I understand and thanks so much but for a few different reasons it's the original BDR-XS07TUHD I need to find at the moment. If this changes, I will definitely get back to you on the other model.