UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
xenphor

Re: UHD drives

Post by xenphor »

what are the possibilities newer UHD blurays come out and block this exploit and can't be read by makemkv?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

The very short version: They are not subject to AACS 2.0 cert revocation. Mike literally states this in the first post of this thread. The UHD Friendly drives use AACS 1.0. UHD disks use AACS 2.0. The loophole allows for the mismatch.

For the long version: There are detailed technical articles that can be found on Google that explain their function, strengths, differences, revocation, and/or loopholes in fair detail.

I’m not saying it’s not possible. Anything is possible. But AACSLA could possibly cause more problems then what they are trying to fix. Not only for us, but for the regular Joe using the drive and drive manufacturers.

So I sit here not worrying about it and just enjoying the ride. 8)
B17NNS

Post by B17NNS »

st4evr wrote:There are a select few drives that can rip UHD disks and certain specific and IMPORTANT requirements have to be met. This is discussed in detail in the original post in this thread as well as several other discussions across the web.

Examples:

https://www.myce.com/news/the-ultimate- ... ive-83254/

https://club.myce.com/t/the-ultimate-ul ... /399725/15

As it's discussed in the posts above yours, you either have to buy a UHD friendly external drive from the list or buy an internal drive and then an enclosure.
Thanks Steve, I've read this thread and several others on other the forums. From what I can see the only two externals are the LG BE16NU50:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-BE16NU50-AU ... g+be16nu50

And the Asus BW-16D1H-U PRO:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-331099-As ... 6D1H-U+PRO

My question is anybody using one of these drives successfully with a Mac. And is so what firmware version do I need to make sure it is before purchase.

Thanks.
B17NNS

Post by B17NNS »

I've subsequently been told by a guy on AVForums that the LG BE16NU50 does indeed work.

Just need to find out the firmware the Amazon one is running now. His shipped with 1.01 and works fine.
B17NNS

Post by B17NNS »

It seems the Amazon one ships with 1.02.

Amazon answer:

"It would seem to be 1.02 as it identifies itself as HL-DT-REBE16NU50 1.02. This is the version I hoped for BUT it does not 'recognise' UHD discs as being present if inserted. I hope that this answers your question."
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

B17NNS wrote:It seems the Amazon one ships with 1.02.

Amazon answer:

"It would seem to be 1.02 as it identifies itself as HL-DT-REBE16NU50 1.02. This is the version I hoped for BUT it does not 'recognise' UHD discs as being present if inserted. I hope that this answers your question."
You may have better luck getting an ASUS drive with the correct firmware at this level in the game.

LG has really gone out of their way to update their drives/firmware to fix the loophole. They have even gone as far as opening their current stock of drives, updating the firmware, and repackaging them. I have seen this first hand as a month ago I received what was supposed to be a brand new LG UHD friendly drive that had been manufactured over a year ago, but already had been patched and had been repackaged (the packaging was completely different from the original.).

On the other hand ASUS has been slower in this process, as they seem not to be in any rush or plainly not care enough about the loophole to spend the extra money is patching and repackaging their current stock of drives. Still as their drives sell and old stock with the required firmware is depleted your window closes.
B17NNS

Post by B17NNS »

st4evr wrote:You may have better luck getting an ASUS drive with the correct firmware at this level in the game.
Cheers Steve, I'm a typical Mac user (pretty clueless about computers).

Could I trouble you to link to a drive and enclosure you know would work? I'm in the UK.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Sorry, but I have not used any enclosures for optical drives in many years. I now solely use PC towers for such tasks and buy/install internal drives without the need of enclosures.

Looking around in Amazon UK for reviews or Googling optical drive enclosure reviews may be your best bet. Maybe some experienced soul in this forum can also recommend something they have experience with.

Good luck! :)
B17NNS

Post by B17NNS »

Thanks, I've ordered one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BW-16D1HT-Inte ... ag=av0c-21

And one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OWC-Mercury- ... rmvSB=true

Fingers crossed the firmware on the BW-16D1HT is old enough.
xenphor

Post by xenphor »

I got the Asus BW-16D1HT drive along with the Vantec enclosure. It came with 3.00 firmware and seems to have ripped Interstellar UHD okay although I haven't watched the whole thing yet.

I've noticed that the drive doesn't seem to fail gracefully like my other Asus external bluray SBC-06D2X-U drive does. I'm having issues ripping a regular Star Wars Attack of the Clones bluray, which gives errors in the external drive, so I thought the BW-16D1HT might have better luck. Unfortunately it seems to be even worse at ripping the disc. When ripping, instead of getting an error it will just endlessly try to access the disc. I have to actually restart the computer because I can't kill the makemkv converter task through task manager. It's also interesting that my external bluray drive makes it much further into the ripping process before failing. The BW-16D1HT always fails within the first minute of ripping.

Another issue is that the BW-16D1HT seems to lock its ripping speed no higher than 4x or 5x. This happened both hooked up through the enclosure or when connected to the motherboard. The SBC-06D2X-U did this as well but I thought it was because it was a cheap external drive.

I guess as long as it can rip UHD's consistently then it will have been worth it but I was expecting much better from an 80 dollar drive.

edit:

I've noticed on the deuhd website that they actually recommend UHD official drives, but in this thread it is said that they are not able to decrypt the disc, only the friendly drives. Is this a limitation of makemkv?

From their website: "DeUHD tool works directly with the drive to decrypt both drive and AACS2 layers of encryption." I guess they are obtaining leaked keys or something?
Skopin

Post by Skopin »

xenphor wrote:I got the Asus BW-16D1HT drive along with the Vantec enclosure. It came with 3.00 firmware and seems to have ripped Interstellar UHD okay although I haven't watched the whole thing yet.

I've noticed that the drive doesn't seem to fail gracefully like my other Asus external bluray SBC-06D2X-U drive does. I'm having issues ripping a regular Star Wars Attack of the Clones bluray, which gives errors in the external drive, so I thought the BW-16D1HT might have better luck. Unfortunately it seems to be even worse at ripping the disc. When ripping, instead of getting an error it will just endlessly try to access the disc. I have to actually restart the computer because I can't kill the makemkv converter task through task manager. It's also interesting that my external bluray drive makes it much further into the ripping process before failing. The BW-16D1HT always fails within the first minute of ripping.

Another issue is that the BW-16D1HT seems to lock its ripping speed no higher than 4x or 5x. This happened both hooked up through the enclosure or when connected to the motherboard. The SBC-06D2X-U did this as well but I thought it was because it was a cheap external drive.

I guess as long as it can rip UHD's consistently then it will have been worth it but I was expecting much better from an 80 dollar drive.

edit:

I've noticed on the deuhd website that they actually recommend UHD official drives, but in this thread it is said that they are not able to decrypt the disc, only the friendly drives. Is this a limitation of makemkv?

From their website: "DeUHD tool works directly with the drive to decrypt both drive and AACS2 layers of encryption." I guess they are obtaining leaked keys or something?
Try upgrading the BW-16D1HT to the 3.02 firmware found at https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopi ... =75#p59568.

Also attached here for convenience.
ASUS_BW-16D1HT_302.ZIP
(2.96 MiB) Downloaded 506 times
xenphor

Post by xenphor »

But doesn't this thread specifically say not to update the firmware? If it doesn't increase compatibility then I don't think it's worth it. At this point I'll only use it for ripping UHD and my other one for regular blurays. If I upgrade the firmware I'll never be able to get back to 3.00 because my motherboard doesn't support IDE mode.
Skopin

Post by Skopin »

xenphor wrote:But doesn't this thread specifically say not to update the firmware? If it doesn't increase compatibility then I don't think it's worth it. At this point I'll only use it for ripping UHD and my other one for regular blurays. If I upgrade the firmware I'll never be able to get back to 3.00 because my motherboard doesn't support IDE mode.
You can update up to 3.02 (the one listed here, not the official one, because they've made some changes that removes the UHD compatibility). Some people have had issues like you described where some discs were failing, but after updating to 3.02, were able to rip those discs successfully.

I can say that the 3.02 firmware I attached in my previous post does work, but I definitely understand not wanting to take the chance, especially if your mobo doesn't support IDE for flashing back.
xenphor

Post by xenphor »

Skopin wrote:
xenphor wrote:But doesn't this thread specifically say not to update the firmware? If it doesn't increase compatibility then I don't think it's worth it. At this point I'll only use it for ripping UHD and my other one for regular blurays. If I upgrade the firmware I'll never be able to get back to 3.00 because my motherboard doesn't support IDE mode.
You can update up to 3.02 (the one listed here, not the official one, because they've made some changes that removes the UHD compatibility). Some people have had issues like you described where some discs were failing, but after updating to 3.02, were able to rip those discs successfully.

I can say that the 3.02 firmware I attached in my previous post does work, but I definitely understand not wanting to take the chance, especially if your mobo doesn't support IDE for flashing back.

Well failing to rip the regular bluray disc I'm assuming is becasue of the disc and not the player considering my other external player can't rip it either. It was just weird how the BW-16D1HT did not actually trigger an error message from Makemkv and simply kept on accessing the disc, making some strange sounds.

Unless there are examples were the BW-16D1HT can't rip a UHD unless it's on 3.02 firmware then I wouldn't update it. Although even then I'm not sure if I would take the chance unless I had to have a rip of it.
XDUDE3D

Post by XDUDE3D »

Just received a ASUS BW-16D1HT but manufactured January 2018 (3.02).....

Anyway I can salvage this? Or is another buy'n'hope it?.... :(