UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
bodieiv

Re: UHD drives

Post by bodieiv »

Can ASUS BW-16D1HT internal drive be outfitted as external and be compatible for MAC? It only shows windows.

Thanks
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Absolutely yes, PM sent.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
jhughy2010

Post by jhughy2010 »

I'm trying to find a retailer that'll have some of these drives in stock but it's proving to be difficult unless I'm willing to spend a little more than I want to. Any ideas?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

jhughy2010 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:53 pm
I'm trying to find a retailer that'll have some of these drives in stock but it's proving to be difficult unless I'm willing to spend a little more than I want to. Any ideas?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17829
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Hey, everyone! I'm new here, but I have a quick question.

I plan on getting a WH16NS40 for 4K ripping/playback, but if the newer models have an SVC code of NS50, will I still have to worry about potentially downgrading from firmware 1.03, or is that only a concern for the older SVC codes?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

MacManiac wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:18 pm
Hey, everyone! I'm new here, but I have a quick question.

I plan on getting a WH16NS40 for 4K ripping/playback, but if the newer models have an SVC code of NS50, will I still have to worry about potentially downgrading from firmware 1.03, or is that only a concern for the older SVC codes?
You are misunderstanding/confusing yourself on how this currently works. Let’s clearly break it down a bit for you:

1.If you are going to buy one of the LG drives you NEED one with SVC NS50. ALL new LG drives that are UHD Friendly WILL have this code. It’s one of the clear requirements as stated over and over in this thread/post for LG UHD Friendly drives. OLDER drives that are incompatible for this purpose are the ones that do NOT have a SVC NS50.

2. Since the discovery of the loophole manufacurers of these UHD Friendly drives have begun to sell them with patched firmware. In your case for that LG drive it would be with 1.03. LG has been quick and adamant about this. You are kinda late to this game, but there are people in this forum that can help. Example:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17831

So keep on reading and doing your research to ensure you take the correct steps in all this.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

st4evr wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:59 pm
1.If you are going to buy one of the LG drives you NEED one with SVC NS50. ALL new LG drives that are UHD Friendly WILL have this code. It’s one of the clear requirements as stated over and over in this thread/post for LG UHD Friendly drives. OLDER drives that are incompatible for this purpose are the ones that do NOT have a SVC NS50.

2. Since the discovery of the loophole manufacurers of these UHD Friendly drives have begun to sell them with patched firmware. In your case for that LG drive it would be with 1.03. LG has been quick and adamant about this. You are kinda late to this game, but there are people in this forum that can help. Example:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17831

So keep on reading and doing your research to ensure you take the correct steps in all this.
Thank you so much for clearing that up. I figured I had to have been missing something.
powderkeg

Post by powderkeg »

Just bought an Asus BW-16D1H-U PRO and it spits out UHD disks, unable to read them at all, just like my other drives. Have I wasted my money or is there a way to get it working?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The Asus BW-16D1H-U is listed as not supporting UHD on the first page of this topic. I know, I reported it.

The drive in the USB3 enclosure is not one of the BDXL-compatible units Asus sells, despite having a similar catalog number.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bw001

Post by bw001 »

powderkeg wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:59 pm
Just bought an Asus BW-16D1H-U PRO and it spits out UHD disks, unable to read them at all, just like my other drives. Have I wasted my money or is there a way to get it working?
Woodstock wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:28 pm
The Asus BW-16D1H-U is listed as not supporting UHD on the first page of this topic. I know, I reported it.

The drive in the USB3 enclosure is not one of the BDXL-compatible units Asus sells, despite having a similar catalog number.
If you can't return that drive, you can replace the drive inside with a compatible UHD friendly drive (ASUS BW-16D1HT or LG WH16NS40) after flashing the correct firmware to the new drive.

You can sell the incompatible drive (as an internal Blu-ray drive) after removing it.

To remove the drive from that enclosure, peel back the 2 rubber feet on bottom toward the rear of the drive and remove the 2 screws under those feet. It will then be easy to take apart the enclosure and remove the drive. It's also easy to get it back together.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

I just received a WH16NS40 from jonghotti, but what SATA to USB 3.0 cord do I need? The 2.5" or the 3.5"?
tvguy7

Post by tvguy7 »

I have a ASUS BW-16D1HT drive that has worked for me for over a year and now discs do not show up in windows. My assumption is that something went wrong with the optical laser. I've tried all sorts of things to get it to work with no luck. Has any ever replaced the laser diode in one of these drives. I have tried to use DVD cleaners in hopes there was just some dust on the laser element. I have tried to remove the drive completely from windows and reinstall. I have tried to blow air inside hoping to dislodge some dust. Nothing has worked. Any other suggestions out there? Any help would be appreciated. Are there any "friendly" drives left that are easy to get?
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

MacManiac wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:53 pm
I just received a WH16NS40 from jonghotti, but what SATA to USB 3.0 cord do I need? The 2.5" or the 3.5"?
Neither, check your email please, your enclosure will be there Sunday morning :-)
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

tvguy7 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:00 am
Are there any "friendly" drives left that are easy to get?
These guys may be able to help with a new drive:

jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

st4evr wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:18 am
tvguy7 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:00 am
Are there any "friendly" drives left that are easy to get?
These guys may be able to help with a new drive:

Those guys ARE able to ship up to 19 drives from the West coast fulfillment center alone, by the close of business today, 31 August 2018.