TeddyRaspin

Re: UHD drives

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Sure. :wink:
madfloyd

Post by madfloyd »

Just thought I'd share my experience.

I had been using an ASUS BW-16D1HT. It always sounded like it was working too hard when reading new discs and, surprisingly enough, ejecting (it would take about 10 seconds to eject a disc and make lots of grinding sounds).

That said, it worked pretty well but had trouble with a few UHDs. Between that and Mike saying my dumps weren't good I thought I'd give the LG BH16NS40 a shot. Mine came with firmware 1.02 but it failed to open discs. So even though the firmware was 1.02 I flashed it with 1.02 and that fixed it.

I've since ripped the discs that the ASUS had problems with. Not sure if my ASUS was a bit of a lemon, but I'm happy with the LG.
jfabianmedina

Post by jfabianmedina »

First post.

I just bought my first Asus BW-16D1HT. I am currently backing up some of my UHD Bluray movies.

UHD Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT
Manufactured: February 2017
Revision: 3.00
MakeMKV Ver: 1.12.0

UHD Movies Progress

Sing UHD/HDR - BackUp - Completed
The Secret Life of Pets/HDR UHD - BackUP - Completed
Alien Covenant UHD/HDR - BackUp - Completed
Suicide Squad UHD/HDR - Back Up - Completed
Life UHD/HDR - BackUp - Completed
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2/HDR - BackUp - Completed
Spider-Man Homecoming UHD/HDR - Back Up - Completed

Well it seems that it will work with the rest of my movies. Very Happy! Thank you all for all the great information.
RLacey

Post by RLacey »

This may be a slightly strange question - but does anyone else find the ASUS BW-16D1HT quite noisy? My drive seems to work perfectly for reading the discs, but makes a fairly harsh noise when reading off the disc every now and again (I presume something to do with the laser moving, like a seek noise?). Certainly, it's much louder than my old Blu-Ray drive, and I'm wondering if this is normal for this drive or whether I have some sort of fault going on.

I'm running firmware 3.02. It produces the noise when you first insert a disc, and when reading ultra HD discs, though in standard blu-ray playback the noise doesn't crop up (so I'm guessing may be speed related). As I say, the actual reading of discs is fine.

Any thoughts?
preserve

Post by preserve »

I'd swear that I didn't have that issue at first, over the last couple months ago from the time I first got my drive and ripped only about a dozen UHDs, but I did today when I ripped my latest UHD.

Running 3.00 firmware.

Exactly the same as you - kind of harsh / excessive noise when first insert the disc and when MakeMKV is loading the disc - but when actually reading / ripping the disc, it's fine.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
hart2hart

LG WH14NS40 UHD Friendly ?

Post by hart2hart »

I had purchased a WH14NS40 with 1.02 firmware to build a PC for a friend last year but ended up installing a drive they had instead so its been on my work bench. Just installed it in my PC and am ripping a UHD as I write this. Apologies if this drive has been covered but wanted to get either a reason not suitable or a confirmation that it is good. I see lots of listing for the WH16NS40 but not this one.
jmonier

Post by jmonier »

WH14NS40 works fine for me. The Asus firmware can be loaded into it same as the WH16NS40.
Uruz7Laevatein

Post by Uruz7Laevatein »

I am currently using the UH12NS40 drive
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BDDVDRW UH12NS40
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: SIK9MG41I144
Firmware date: 2116-02-23 10:42:
Bus encryption flags: 16
Highest AACS version: 63

The UHD Disk I was able to successfully rip
Interstellar
John Wick
John Wick Chapter 2
Accel World Infinite Burst 4K
Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky 4K
hart2hart

Post by hart2hart »

jmonier wrote:WH14NS40 works fine for me. The Asus firmware can be loaded into it same as the WH16NS40.
Uruz7Laevatein wrote:I am currently using the UH12NS40 drive
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BDDVDRW UH12NS40
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: SIK9MG41I144
Firmware date: 2116-02-23 10:42:
Bus encryption flags: 16
Highest AACS version: 63

The UHD Disk I was able to successfully rip
Interstellar
John Wick
John Wick Chapter 2
Accel World Infinite Burst 4K
Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky 4K

Thanks for the confirmations.
clickmanf22

Post by clickmanf22 »

HELP !!!!!!!!!!. Pulling my hair out trying to get UHD 4k working. Now on my third BD drive.

Using MKV version 1.12

Originally had an Asus BW-16D1HT 1.01 (Feb 2014), this fails to read UHD/4K discs,shows no disc inserted in MKV.

Without reading MKV website, ordered and installed a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-S11 Revision: 1.02 (UHD official drive), this reads discs but will not work with MKV.

The my 3rd drive is a BD-RE BH16NS40 Revision: 1.03 does not appear to read 4K discs (explorer) shows no disc inserted in MKV.
Bought because Ebay seller stated reads 4K discs. Does not.

Can someone please suggest where to get a drive that is guaranteed to work. I cannot keep just buying drives.
bluntandrolla

Post by bluntandrolla »

clickmanf22 wrote:HELP !!!!!!!!!!. Pulling my hair out trying to get UHD 4k working. Now on my third BD drive.

Using MKV version 1.12

Originally had an Asus BW-16D1HT 1.01 (Feb 2014), this fails to read UHD/4K discs,shows no disc inserted in MKV.

Without reading MKV website, ordered and installed a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-S11 Revision: 1.02 (UHD official drive), this reads discs but will not work with MKV.

The my 3rd drive is a BD-RE BH16NS40 Revision: 1.03 does not appear to read 4K discs (explorer) shows no disc inserted in MKV.
Bought because Ebay seller stated reads 4K discs. Does not.

Can someone please suggest where to get a drive that is guaranteed to work. I cannot keep just buying drives.
Asus BW-16D1HT (Variant 1? - Manufactured no earlier than 2015) - 1.01 is bad
Asus BW-16D1HT (Variant 2? - Manufactured no earlier than 2015) - 3.00, 3.01, and 3.02 are all good, 3.03 is reportedly bad
LG WH16NS40 (SVC code NS50) - 1.02 is good and 1.03 is bad.
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 16&t=17058
met_fan

Post by met_fan »

I have a LG BE16NU50 drive that I'm trying out with a UHD disc for the first time. It has previously worked fine for HD blu ray discs. I put a UHD copy of It in the drive to try it out with MakeMKV, but the drive just spins for a few seconds and then ejects the disc. The disc works fine in my Oppo player. Is this the behavior one would see with a drive with the wrong firmware, or would this be something different? My firmware is 1.02 and seen conflicting reports on the forum about whether 1.03 is the firmware that breaks the drive, or if it's 1.02. I don't currently have any other UHD discs to try.
YourMJK

Post by YourMJK »

Please help me!

I purchased the LG BE16NU50 (the external one) which is in the "UHD friendly" list, but everytime I insert a UHD disc it just ejects the disc after a while (on macOS 10.13) or MakeMKV shows "No disc inserted" (on Windows 10).

On the back of the drive it says "ROM VER: 1.02" and MakeMKV also lists it as "BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE16NU50 1.02". Does only revision 1.01 of this drive work? Did they update the firmware to reject official UHD discs?

If that is the problem, is there a way to install the old 1.01 firmware onto this drive? Or do I have to buy a different one?
met_fan

Post by met_fan »

YourMJK wrote:Please help me!

I purchased the LG BE16NU50 (the external one) which is in the "UHD friendly" list, but everytime I insert a UHD disc it just ejects the disc after a while (on macOS 10.13) or MakeMKV shows "No disc inserted" (on Windows 10).

On the back of the drive it says "ROM VER: 1.02" and MakeMKV also lists it as "BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE16NU50 1.02". Does only revision 1.01 of this drive work? Did they update the firmware to reject official UHD discs?

If that is the problem, is there a way to install the old 1.01 firmware onto this drive? Or do I have to buy a different one?
This is exactly what I just experienced
YourMJK

Post by YourMJK »

met_fan wrote:
YourMJK wrote:Please help me!

This is exactly what I just experienced
Oh wow, I just saw. I tried two different discs, the martian and interstellar. Both failed. I'm fairly certain that the firmware is the problem.