Post by subman »

jonghotti wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:06 pm
subman wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:24 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:33 am

@subman,

I'm pretty sure your current firmware (3.00) is UHD friendly. Just pop in a 4K UHD disc, open MakeMKV and see if you can back it up to your hard drive.

If it works,then you are all good. If not,then, yes, you can easily cross-flash it. Not sure about if it will write to Blu Ray discs after being flashed to BW-16D1HT.
thanks a lot for your reply
:idea: i would try to cross flash justo to be sure if it writes or not
you said " If not,then, yes, you can easily cross-flash it." my question is what method should i use :?:
added some photos of drive
What you need to do is return that piece of junk to wherever you purchased it and buy a real drive, in my opinion.
Thanks for your oustanding reply and show to us all why instead of sending me PM to “gladly” Sell me other preflashed drive ...
jonghotti

Re: UHD drives

Post by jonghotti »

You’re most welcome.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

@subman,

Have you been able to sort out your drive or restore back to 3.00? If not, please try this and let me know if it works for you.
ASUS ODD FW Changer For BC-12D2HT (3.00).zip
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 568 times
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
subman

Post by subman »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:08 pm
@subman,

Have you been able to sort out your drive or restore back to 3.00? If not, please try this and let me know if it works for you.

ASUS ODD FW Changer For BC-12D2HT (3.00).zip
Marty yes i did
Crossflash to bw-16d1ht 3.02
Mine was already on 3.00 i have de dump i’ll post it later picture file Is to big to post
Used to dump hirensbootcd 15.2 with DosFlash32_BH16NS40 on another computer then used in windows 10 the BH16NS40_EEPROM_Data_Mover and then the asus odd fw 3.02 updater for bw-16d1ht (patched)
Tested to write bd-r mediarange and no sucess on imgburn
Dvddl verbatin fine
I have to make another testing then i’ll post
havent tested uhd medias
Thanks to all who helped with info pics and usefull information
Attachments
copiafirmware.rar
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 434 times
Capturar1.PNG
Capturar1.PNG (537.82 KiB) Viewed 18152 times
Capturar.PNG
Capturar.PNG (664.99 KiB) Viewed 18152 times
Negatron

Post by Negatron »

Is it still the same that the 4k ripper drives will not work with MAKEMKV, so we need to get a 4k friendly ripper drive?
Negatron

Post by Negatron »

I have 2 LG BH16NS55 drives and they say they will play 128gb discs...can this have the firmware updated to rip 4k discs?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Good stuff @subman!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

well thats one drive saved by the new method good to see they go into recovery mode
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
wombats

Post by wombats »

I'm a bit confused. If I use an official LG drive and create an MKV file from a 4k UHD HDR Blu Ray, will I be able to play that file back in MP-HC using MadVR or not? I'm seeing conflicting information out there saying that only the "UHD Friendly" drives will work.
wombats

Post by wombats »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:18 pm
At the time of this writing no such certs are publicly available, and certainly MakeMKV doesn't have one. This means that at the moment MakeMKV cannot even make a non-decrypted full disc backup of an UHD disc from such drive.
Seeing as this post was in 2017 and the Official LG drives are listed as supported now, is this statement still true or not? I'm assuming the answer is yes and I can go ahead and get an LG WH16NS60 to play Blu Rays in MadVR. Correct?
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Negatron wrote:Is it still the same that the 4k ripper drives will not work with MAKEMKV, so we need to get a 4k friendly ripper drive?
I think you mean Official UHD drives (those rockin’ the UHD Blu Ray logo on the bezel) vs. standard bdxl Blu Ray drives that can be flashed into UHD friendly.
The line between the two has now blurred so much that the LG UHD Official drives can now be made into UHD Officially Friendly drives that will rip 4K UHD Blu Rays and play them
back with PowerDVD as well.

Yours truly being happy to hook up one and all with drives that fit this description.

Ask me for a 4K “UHD Friendly” Blu Ray drive to try before you buy!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
cipher

Post by cipher »

I've just been reading this thread, and others in the forum, and have narrowed down my choices to the following three drives:

-LG WH16NS40 (friendly)
-ASUS BW-16D1HT (friendly)
-LG WH16NS60 (official)

With the correct firmware, all three are able to rip Blu-rays/UHD's. However, is there any substantial differences in rip speed and noise between these three drives?

Also, are there any important feature differences that relate to ripping (Blu-Rays/UHD's) that I should be aware of?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I have a BW-16D1HT that I've been using for over a year with 3.02 on it and that works great. I opted to grab the WH16NS60 just to have an official drive, as well. The beauty of the NS60 is that it's official and can also be cross flashed to the ASUS 3.02 firmware which makes it friendly and rips slightly faster. IMO nice to have both official and friendly in one drive as you can't go the other way. E.G. Flashing the WH16NS60 firmware to the BW-16D1HT won't make it an official drive.
cipher

Post by cipher »

Hi SamuriHL,

Are you saying the LG WH16NS60 is faster than the WH16NS40 & BW-16D1HT? I'm trying to find out if there is substantial differences in ripping speeds with Blu-rays/UHD's between these three drives. As well, I'd like to know if any of them are quieter than the others or if they pretty much sound the same.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

cipher wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:08 am
Hi SamuriHL,

Are you saying the LG WH16NS60 is faster than the WH16NS40 & BW-16D1HT? I'm trying to find out if there is substantial differences in ripping speeds with Blu-rays/UHD's between these three drives. As well, I'd like to know if any of them are quieter than the others or if they pretty much sound the same.
I ran 3 UHD rip tests using my back-up drive (BH16NS55)and "The Predator"movie which is approx 53GB in size.

Test 1 - with BH16NS55 1.02. Rip took 52m35s
Test 2 - with ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02. Rip took 40m13s
Test 3 - with WH16NS60 1.00. Rip took 40m04s

The sound level is pretty much the same between all firmwares. The advantage of the WH16NS60 is that there is no sleep bug and it was slightly faster than the ASUS.