UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
pegasus21

Re: UHD drives

Post by pegasus21 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:09 am
I take it, you have already tried a UHD disc with that firmware?

I'm pretty sure I have read somewhere that firmware BW50 works. Maybe that was for a BU50N drive. I can't remember.

Anyway, you can use a SATA / USB adapter (you will also need a SATA / slimline ATA adapter) to flash the drive, but you might be better off using SATA and the old Dosflash method to extract that firmware first.

What I would do:

1. Use SATA connection and old Dosflash method to extract firmware BW41 from your drive.
2. Reboot.
3. Use the modified or patched windows flasher to flash the drive using a SATA / USB adapter to 1.00 and see if it works.

Then, if the drive doesn't work with 1.00, then you can use the old Dosflash method to restore your BW41 firmware.
I haven't got any UHD discs to test yet but I'll give what you suggested a go first. Thanks for the suggestion.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

pegasus21 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:13 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:09 am
I take it, you have already tried a UHD disc with that firmware?

I'm pretty sure I have read somewhere that firmware BW50 works. Maybe that was for a BU50N drive. I can't remember.

Anyway, you can use a SATA / USB adapter (you will also need a SATA / slimline ATA adapter) to flash the drive, but you might be better off using SATA and the old Dosflash method to extract that firmware first.

What I would do:

1. Use SATA connection and old Dosflash method to extract firmware BW41 from your drive.
2. Reboot.
3. Use the modified or patched windows flasher to flash the drive using a SATA / USB adapter to 1.00 and see if it works.

Then, if the drive doesn't work with 1.00, then you can use the old Dosflash method to restore your BW41 firmware.
I haven't got any UHD discs to test yet but I'll give what you suggested a go first. Thanks for the suggestion.
No worries. Yeah, I'd try a UHD disc first, just in case BW41 is actually compatible. You won't know until you try!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Use the DE_LG_BU40N_100.bin that's packaged with the updated flashers these guys have been so awesome to share with us. MakeMKV now prints a log message that implies it's looking for a libre drive when it encounters a drive with the old school firmware on it.So it's DE or MK firmware foe me!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
pegasus21

Post by pegasus21 »

jonghotti wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:50 am
Use the DE_LG_BU40N_100.bin that's packaged with the updated flashers these guys have been so awesome to share with us. MakeMKV now prints a log message that implies it's looking for a libre drive when it encounters a drive with the old school firmware on it.So it's DE or MK firmware foe me!
Thank you for confirming that it should work. Now I just need to get a set up that can flash the firmware since the usb adapter doesn't seem to be recognized by the flasher. Probably check if one of my laptops can get it flashed.
maxblack

Post by maxblack »

jonghotti wrote:
Which fw do you use to flash the BU40N that you sell? And this ASUS flash tool I presume?

Thanks.
mostlife

Post by mostlife »

I want to order QXL uhd friendly drive.
I live in Europe.
Can someone help me with that?
I can send money using paypal,
but private message has been disabled.

I have seen on Ebay, that some folks sell uhd friendly drives. If you do,
be sure to checkout firmware version and ratings...
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

mostlife wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:02 am
I want to order QXL uhd friendly drive.
I live in Europe.
Can someone help me with that?
I can send money using paypal,
but private message has been disabled.

I have seen on Ebay, that some folks sell uhd friendly drives. If you do,
be sure to checkout firmware version and ratings...
There's an entire subforum dedicated to this:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

Gotta do your part and read. Several sellers list detailed contact information in their respective posts.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

maxblack wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:09 pm
jonghotti wrote:
Which fw do you use to flash the BU40N that you sell? And this ASUS flash tool I presume?

Thanks.
I was using the original 1.00 but have switched to the 1.00 DE. As the BU40N is an LG drive I'd stick to the LG flasher.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jonghotti wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:18 am
maxblack wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:09 pm
jonghotti wrote:

Thanks.
I was using the original 1.00 but have switched to the 1.00 DE. As the BU40N is an LG drive I'd stick to the LG flasher.
Alex, you do know that either flasher can flash both LG and ASUS drives (plus other branded clones), don't you?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:18 am
Alex, you do know that either flasher can flash both LG and ASUS drives (plus other branded clones), don't you?
I do yes, but I still like to "brand match" whenever possible.
Sure wish we had a flasher for the BP50NB40....
Falloutboy

Post by Falloutboy »

I have an LG Drive which reports the following under MakeMKV.

Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE-BH14NS40
Revision: 1.00
Serial Number <Redacted :)
Firmware date: 2112-06-16 18:23
Bus Encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 64.

Now I have seen my model mentioned and just wanted to make sure I understood things correctly - the revision is the Firmware revision? and if this is the case from what I have seen I should not need to do anything in order to read a UHD disk on this - is that correct or have I gotten something confused despite all my reading?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Falloutboy wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:07 pm
I have an LG Drive which reports the following under MakeMKV.

Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE-BH14NS40
Revision: 1.00
Serial Number <Redacted :)
Firmware date: 2112-06-16 18:23
Bus Encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 64.

Now I have seen my model mentioned and just wanted to make sure I understood things correctly - the revision is the Firmware revision? and if this is the case from what I have seen I should not need to do anything in order to read a UHD disk on this - is that correct or have I gotten something confused despite all my reading?
'Firmware date: 2112-06-16 18:23' indicates a mfgring date prior to ~2015 (svc code NS40, printed on physical label). Old hardware. Incompatible with UHD.

Discussion of similar drive/issue:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 832#p58594
Last edited by d00zah on Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falloutboy

Post by Falloutboy »

[/quote]'Firmware date: 2112-06-16 18:23' indicates a mfgring date prior to 2015 (svc code NS40, printed on physical label). Old hardware. Incompatible with UHD.

Discussion of similar drive/issue:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 832#p58594
[/quote]

Thanks for the response, upon checking my drive shows July 2012 and does not show the code NS50.... It was worth a shot :)
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

It's always safer to ask. There are numerous threads where people have blindly flashed these drives & while recovery is possible, it's a PITA (for those who didn't read up/ask in the 1st place).
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Nevermind....