UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
TeddyRaspin

Re: UHD drives

Post by TeddyRaspin »

If you do a firmware dump (1.02) I can create a fully working 1.01 in order to downgrade your device and make it UHD friendly again. :wink:
fixodent66

Post by fixodent66 »

I ordered the LG WH16NS40 a few weeks ago and as my luck would have it arrived with with 1.03 firmware :( :( . After reading on several ways to downgrade to 1.02 I choose DOSflasher method and it worked great. Now the question is I'm ordering the same drive again for the future so can I use the same DOSflasher USB on this drive also and keep calibration data.
met_fan

Post by met_fan »

fixodent66 wrote:I ordered the LG WH16NS40 a few weeks ago and as my luck would have it arrived with with 1.03 firmware :( :( . After reading on several ways to downgrade to 1.02 I choose DOSflasher method and it worked great. Now the question is I'm ordering the same drive again for the future so can I use the same DOSflasher USB on this drive also and keep calibration data.
So does LG firmware 1.02 work on some drives, but not on others? It seems like it's a problem on the external drive but not with the internals?
fixodent66

Post by fixodent66 »

I ordered my LG drive based on the UHD friendly list. As far as I know firmware 1.02 should be fine.
met_fan

Post by met_fan »

fixodent66 wrote:I ordered my LG drive based on the UHD friendly list. As far as I know firmware 1.02 should be fine.
With mine, it spins for five or ten seconds and then ejects the disc.
fixodent66

Post by fixodent66 »

What type of drive are you using. Do you have the proper firmware and did to have to reflash your drive to obtain the correct firmware? Sounds to me either wrong firmware, drive and or defective drive. Im sure you have made sure it's not the disc itself.
met_fan

Post by met_fan »

fixodent66 wrote:What type of drive are you using. Do you have the proper firmware and did to have to reflash your drive to obtain the correct firmware? Sounds to me either wrong firmware, drive and or defective drive. Im sure you have made sure it's not the disc itself.
My drive is a LG BE16NU50 and it came with 1.02. I haven't done anything to the original firmware. It works fine with HD blu ray discs and the only UHD disc I've had to try so far just gets ejected, though it works in my Oppo player. Obviously, I'd like to test another disc, but I don't have one at the moment.
Ignoranus

Post by Ignoranus »

Code: Select all

UHD friendly drives:

LG BE16NU50
    LG WH16NS40
    LG BH16NS40
    ASUS BW-12B1ST
    ASUS BC-12D2HT
    ASUS BW-16D1HT
    ASUS BW-16D1HT-PRO 
    LG BH16NS55
    LG WH16NS58

UHD official drives:

LG WH16NS60
    LG BU40N
    LG BU50N
I have an LG BD-RE WH14NS40. Is this compatible with UHD Blu-Ray's? I looked at the manual but it doesn't explicitly say so, it just says it supports 128GB Blu-Ray.
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

If it has SVC Code NS50 reported on the label stick, it handles UHD read capabilities. :wink:
jmonier

Post by jmonier »

Ignoranus wrote:I have an LG BD-RE WH14NS40. Is this compatible with UHD Blu-Ray's? I looked at the manual but it doesn't explicitly say so, it just says it supports 128GB Blu-Ray.
I have one and it can be used the same as a 16NS40 in all cases under the same conditions. If it is flashed with the Asus firmware it behaves identically to a 16NS40 under the same conditions.
booned

Post by booned »

jmonier wrote:If it is flashed with the Asus firmware it behaves identically to a 16NS40 under the same conditions.
So to use this drive it needs both service code NS50, and flashed to Asus firmware?
I also have one, though it has a SVC code of NS40 - manufactured Feb 2015. Am I out of luck?

If I bought a new Asus BW-16D1HT, would it have a firmware that still works?
Bibio

Post by Bibio »

i have just copied Guardians of the Galaxy 4k using an LG-WH14NS40, Rom:1.02, SVC:NS50 manufactured October 2016.

the drive is a bit slow (it always has been) but it does copy 4k.
booned

Post by booned »

Bibio wrote:i have just copied Guardians of the Galaxy 4k using an LG-WH14NS40, Rom:1.02, SVC:NS50 manufactured October 2016.

the drive is a bit slow (it always has been) but it does copy 4k.
With mine being NS40 (and also firmware 1.03... hmm I don't remember updating!) I'm probably out of luck. I don't have a disc to try, though, so can't confirm.

Does anyone know if the Asus BW-16D1HT still comes with a usable firmware, or is downgradable? It looks like this is the recommended drive to get.
aprosak

Post by aprosak »

kingston12 wrote:
stuckinkodiagain wrote:
koenkooi wrote:LG BE16NU50 with the 1.01 firmware. 1.02 breaks it, so get one and check the underside to see which version it has. The august 2017 batch works, 1.02 was released in december.
Appreciate the advice! Are there any other models that fit the same bill, since ordering and returning the BE16NU50 in the hopes of not getting a version with 1.02 firmware could be a hassle. I’d just check the bottom of the box in stores, but it doesn’t appear to be available in retail by me.
Just to update this, I received the BE16NU50 and it works fine with my Mac and MakeMKV.

I did have to open the box to find out the details of the drive. The outer box was not sealed anyway, despite looking as though it was definitely a brand new one that hadn't been opened before.

The manufacture date on mine is June 2017 and it has the rev 1.01 firmware. I only have a small collection of UHD discs so far, but it has ripped five of them without issue.

I am pleased with the upgrade from my Samsung SE506. There LG is a much bigger drive, and needs to be plugged into a power outlet, but it rips a standard Blu-ray in under half the time of the Samsung. It runs at 5-6x whilst the Samsung always seemed to be about 2x. I has put thousands of discs through the Samsung anyway, so I'd probably have to have bought a new drive sooner rather than later even if it wasn't for UHD compatibility.
Is this currently the only UHD friendly external drive available? I'm running a laptop with no ability to expand it and buying a desktop is not an option.
jmonier

Post by jmonier »

booned wrote:
jmonier wrote:If it is flashed with the Asus firmware it behaves identically to a 16NS40 under the same conditions.
So to use this drive it needs both service code NS50, and flashed to Asus firmware?
I also have one, though it has a SVC code of NS40 - manufactured Feb 2015. Am I out of luck?

If I bought a new Asus BW-16D1HT, would it have a firmware that still works?
It DOES have to be NS50. It does not need the Asus firmware, but I believe that it will have better performance with it.

The new Asus may or may not have firmware that works, but it can be downgraded. Downgrading involves a special procedure, see other topics in this section.