UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
jmonier

Re: UHD drives

Post by jmonier »

sofakng wrote:Is the ASUS BW-16D1HT still the best drive to buy?

I'm tempted by the WH16NS40 for only $50 (and it has a faster BD-ROM readspeed)...
Note that the BW-16D1HT and the W/BH16NS40 are exactly the same hardware (except for the bezel and labels). You can load the Asus firmware (up to 3.02) into the LG and you then have the same thing as the Asus.

Note also that when you buy buy the Asus you will probably get a manufacture date of Dec 2016 or Jan 2017. With the LG it will be much more recent.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Thanks much for the information.

Should I just go for whichever is cheaper then? I thought with the LG you need to get a specific revision as well...
jmonier

Post by jmonier »

sofakng wrote:Should I just go for whichever is cheaper then? I thought with the LG you need to get a specific revision as well...
I believe (but don't know for sure) that you need the "NS50" version (not to be confused with the "NS40" in the model no. - they're not related). I believe that it refers to a hardware revision. Probably (but again I don't know for sure) only that version will accept the Asus firmware.

If I were you, I would definitely go for the LG. I already had an LG that I bought six months ago and that now works perfectly with he Asus firmware, so I could have saved the extra money that I spent on the Asus (which had a much earlier build date than the LG).

Whatever you do, don't upgrade the firmware of either to the .03 version (LG - 1.03, Asus - 3.03). That's the one that kills the drive for our purposes (and note that the Asus comes with that version on the enclosed disk).
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Hmmm... what are the chances of getting the correct revision of the LG drive?
Netmanca

Post by Netmanca »

sofakng wrote:Hmmm... what are the chances of getting the correct revision of the LG drive?
I'll let you know, mines due to arrive today from NewEgg
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

It is always possible to do a firmware downgrade, so I wouldn't worry about which revision/firmware comes on a new LG drive.
starmax

Post by starmax »

I think its the SVC code everyone's worried about.
Netmanca

Post by Netmanca »

Netmanca wrote:
sofakng wrote:Hmmm... what are the chances of getting the correct revision of the LG drive?
I'll let you know, mines due to arrive today from NewEgg

I can confirm I did get a sv50 unit with a date of manufacture of august 2017. looks like it might be refurb units mine came in bubble wrap only with no documentation
starmax

Post by starmax »

Netmanca wrote:I can confirm I did get a sv50 unit with a date of manufacture of august 2017. looks like it might be refurb units mine came in bubble wrap only with no documentation
Maybe, maybe not. Lots of "OEM" drives just come in a plastic bag. If you go by a place like Microcenter, they have a bin full of "new" DVD drives in plastic bags. Good to hear about the SVC code, thank you!!
rivey

Post by rivey »

TeddyRaspin wrote:It is always possible to do a firmware downgrade, so I wouldn't worry about which revision/firmware comes on a new LG drive.
My new LG WH16NS40 Service Code NS50 arrived today and it has ver. 1.03.
So the question is should I downgrade the firmware to 1.01 or 1.02 or crossflash to the Asus ver. 3.01 or 2.
Then the next question is how to do each one? Haven't found clear instructions on cross flashing or for that matter for downgrading the LG firmware.
Thanks in advance.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I'd recommend doing some test rips before getting into firmware flashing. My LG worked right out of the box, so I haven't worried about it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It's certainly not going to with 1.03 on it if you're looking to use it for UHD.
rivey

Post by rivey »

Woodstock wrote:I'd recommend doing some test rips before getting into firmware flashing. My LG worked right out of the box, so I haven't worried about it.
Tried that first. Will not see UHD discs. Does rip normal bluray of course. That is why I want to either cross flash or downgrade the LG to 1.02 or 1.01.
rivey

Post by rivey »

rivey wrote:
Woodstock wrote:I'd recommend doing some test rips before getting into firmware flashing. My LG worked right out of the box, so I haven't worried about it.
Tried that first. Will not see UHD discs. Does rip normal bluray of course. That is why I want to either cross flash or downgrade the LG to 1.02 or 1.01.
Tried reflashing the firmware from 1.03 down to 1.01 and it fails with this message "Checksum is mismatched. Drive will go to boot mode Please retry again".

Obviously this is a firmware issue, and I have tried to find out how to deal with it but nothing I have found works. Don't know if it matters, but the PC is win10. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
starmax

Post by starmax »