Asus BW-16D1HT Firmware

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
CSmuggler

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT Firmware

Post by CSmuggler »

I gave a ASUS BW-16D1HT, with 3.01. It's worked fine with UHD, and other discs fine.

I haven't used it very much, perhaps two dozen discs have been in it since I purchased it about a year ago. (And downgraded the firmware.)

Now it seems to spin and eject any disc I put in it. I don't know what's changed, and fear a hardware failure.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm using it on a Mac with Mac OS Mojave. I did install the beta of Mac OS Catalina and now I've downgraded back to Mojave. It IS possible that it stopped working with the Catalina update, but that doesn't sound like something that would happen.

Again. Please, if you have any ideas, I'd love to know... (Prior to reporting it failing to ASUS, and likely getting a new one with an updated firmware.)

It closes the drawer, tries to read any disc, and then ejects the disc.

Help!

Thanks.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

CSmuggler wrote:I gave a ASUS BW-16D1HT, with 3.01. It's worked fine with UHD, and other discs fine.

I haven't used it very much, perhaps two dozen discs have been in it since I purchased it about a year ago. (And downgraded the firmware.)

Now it seems to spin and eject any disc I put in it. I don't know what's changed, and fear a hardware failure.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm using it on a Mac with Mac OS Mojave. I did install the beta of Mac OS Catalina and now I've downgraded back to Mojave. It IS possible that it stopped working with the Catalina update, but that doesn't sound like something that would happen.

Again. Please, if you have any ideas, I'd love to know... (Prior to reporting it failing to ASUS, and likely getting a new one with an updated firmware.)

It closes the drawer, tries to read any disc, and then ejects the disc.

Help!

Thanks.
You should flash the 3.10MK Firmware

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
CSmuggler

Post by CSmuggler »

I finally did the 3.10MK firmware update on the drive, and it still can't seem to read a disc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
ionblue

Post by ionblue »

I bought an Asus BW-16D1HT in an enclosure and preflashed to 3.10MK due to some issues with another drive that I flashed myself. At first it worked great, but now it’s acting pretty finicky and I don’t know if it’s the drive, the enclosure, or something else.

I’ve had it fail on a 4K rip and then wouldn’t eject the disc without turning it off, unplugging it, and plugging it back in. While it was stuck both the drive and enclosure lights were flashing and it sounded like it was spinning or something.

I’ve also had it fail to spin up properly in MakeMKV resulting in having to exit MakeMKV and try again. Then it read it just fine.

Yesterday I had the above happen and then after a successful rip the drive was left with the lights flashing and having to go through the procedure above to get the disk out. And then I did another with no issues at all.

Anybody have any ideas?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

ionblue wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:59 pm
I bought an Asus BW-16D1HT in an enclosure and preflashed to 3.10MK due to some issues with another drive that I flashed myself. At first it worked great, but now it’s acting pretty finicky and I don’t know if it’s the drive, the enclosure, or something else.

I’ve had it fail on a 4K rip and then wouldn’t eject the disc without turning it off, unplugging it, and plugging it back in. While it was stuck both the drive and enclosure lights were flashing and it sounded like it was spinning or something.

I’ve also had it fail to spin up properly in MakeMKV resulting in having to exit MakeMKV and try again. Then it read it just fine.

Yesterday I had the above happen and then after a successful rip the drive was left with the lights flashing and having to go through the procedure above to get the disk out. And then I did another with no issues at all.

Anybody have any ideas?
Sleep bug
Rip and eject the disk within 2 mins of putting the disk in and within 2 mins of the rip finishing other wise the drive will be slow to eject but it will eject on its own it's just slower and sounds horrible
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
ionblue

Post by ionblue »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:38 pm
ionblue wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:59 pm

Anybody have any ideas?
Sleep bug
Rip and eject the disk within 2 mins of putting the disk in and within 2 mins of the rip finishing other wise the drive will be slow to eject but it will eject on its own it's just slower and sounds horrible
Ah. Guess I missed that in my searching. I appreciate you letting me know. I’ll do my best to load and unload quickly! :D
Deniska

Post by Deniska »

If I have Asus BW-16D1HT firmware v1.01 is it possible to make support to UHD disk without jump to 3.X firmware and without loosing the drive :)))? May be there is a way to flash old ASUS to special firmware only for 1.01..?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

No need to post in every single thread. It will still brick the drive to try to flash it no matter how many threads you ask in.
thirdgen89gta

Post by thirdgen89gta »

Gotta say I'm not quite happy with my replacement BW-D1HT.

I bought one back in 2015, it was firmware 3.0 and ripped right out of the box. Speeds were fast. I'd se 25-35MB/s all the time. Sounded like a jet spinning the disc up.

Unfortunately the drive stopped reading discs. Something to do with the laser or sensor is my guess.

However, the replacement, came with 3.03 and couldn't read discs, which I was expecting. But after downgrading to 3.02, and trying 3.01 & 3.00, and even 3.10MK the read speeds are atrocious. The original unit would ramp up to max speed as soon as I put the disc in.

Does the Asus have a quiet mode like the LG firmwares. I can't find anything that says it does.

Code: Select all

Drive Information
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.01
Serial number: %%%%
Firmware date: 2117-03-31 14:26
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 3.01
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled

No disc inserted
IronMan2

Post by IronMan2 »

thirdgen89gta wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:19 pm

I bought one back in 2015, it was firmware 3.0 and ripped right out of the box. Speeds were fast. I'd se 25-35MB/s all the time. Sounded like a jet spinning the disc up.

Unfortunately the drive stopped reading discs. Something to do with the laser or sensor is my guess.

However, the replacement, came with 3.03 and couldn't read discs, which I was expecting. But after downgrading to 3.02, and trying 3.01 & 3.00, and even 3.10MK the read speeds are atrocious. The original unit would ramp up to max speed as soon as I put the disc in.

Does the Asus have a quiet mode like the LG firmwares. I can't find anything that says it does.

Drive Information

LibreDrive Information

No disc inserted
I just bought a new Asus BW-16D1HT (manufactured August 2019) and the read speeds are fine, no quiet mode. Came with 3.10, flashed to 3.10MK and no issues with that. I was expecting it to come with Riplock but read speed would suggest otherwise.
Maverick322

Post by Maverick322 »

IronMan2 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:19 pm
thirdgen89gta wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:19 pm

Drive Information

LibreDrive Information

No disc inserted
I just bought a new Asus BW-16D1HT (manufactured August 2019) and the read speeds are fine, no quiet mode. Came with 3.10, flashed to 3.10MK and no issues with that. I was expecting it to come with Riplock but read speed would suggest otherwise.
I have a BW-16D1HT coming. I am new to this so I was wondering what is the difference between 3.10MK firmware and DE 3.02 firmware? I know that you have to flash 3.10MK if you want to go to 3.02 but don't really know the difference. It seems most people just flash the 3.10 MK software and call it a day.
thirdgen89gta

Post by thirdgen89gta »

Well, doubley not pleased right now. The new Asus went out. Now does the same thing as my original drive that had been a few years old. Pop a disc in, any disc, CD, DVD, BR, 4K UHD, doesn't matter. About 30 seconds later it will either stop reading and say no disc, or spit the tray back out with the same message.

Ofcourse the 30day exchange period expired just last week.

It was reading just fine. Grrr. Sometimes the drive won't even show up as a device in BIOS. I took it out of its USB case, and dropped it into a machine with a direct SATA connection. Same problems.
stewart

Post by stewart »

I have a BW-16D1HT coming. I am new to this so I was wondering what is the difference between 3.10MK firmware and DE 3.02 firmware? I know that you have to flash 3.10MK if you want to go to 3.02 but don't really know the difference. It seems most people just flash the 3.10 MK software and call it a day.
[/quote]

Did it work for you? full speed?

/Stew
stewart

Post by stewart »

Thanks to jonghotti for this fabulous drive!

Here are some numbers to compare with my old Samsung
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 20.17.42.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 20.17.42.png (83.54 KiB) Viewed 58204 times
IMG_6178.JPG
IMG_6178.JPG (232.17 KiB) Viewed 58204 times
probedb

Post by probedb »

I'm now having similar issues, going to try and resolve through Alex as it's not even 6 months old.

At first I thought the drive was just being a bit funny with some 4K discs so thought it's OK, it then refused to read a standard BR disc, reads DVDs but now refuses to read any BR discs, just resulting in a No Disc error after a bit of churning and lights flickering.

Going to rip it out this weekend and see what I can see.