LG BH16NS55 Firmware

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
2BNierAuotmata

Re: LG BH16NS55 Firmware

Post by 2BNierAuotmata »

Sorry, about being vague. To clarify., I bricked the first WH14NS40 and so I had UPS pick it up today and it's being returned to Amazon. So, they sent me a new one. The new one is identical to the first one I had received so, anything I say/said about one can apply to the other as well.. I think maybe you got the "40" part off of the end of the Product #. The service number is SS50 (Apr20). The drive has the latest firmware 1.04.

So, when I use the firmware flash and pick the applicable model, it simply freezes at 0% indefinitely. When I hook it up directly to an SATA port (which I don't like doing because my PC seems to be very touchy and something seems to go wrong almost every time I mess with the cables - and yes I do use a wrist electro-static grounder). Anyway, I digress. When I tried it with the SATA, it simply popped up a message (I should have written it down but, I was distracted). The part in which it was getting stuck on 0% would just flash and disappear. Then nothing was accomplished. I tried this with a few models I knew for certain that were not slim types. I thought of trying on an Asus firmware but, I've read that it can sometimes brick an LG. Anyway, I read the guide and have been going through the forums and I'm confused on what steps I should try besides the haphazard approach I seem to be doing. It would appear though that the USB X SATA adapter, despite being powered isn't friendly to firmware transfers. Any help would be greatly appreciate. If I overlooked something obvious, I apologize in advance. I haven't gotten much sleep in the last few days.

I was also wondering about how much of a risk am I taking by doing this firmware change? Thank you for your patience. I'm a newb at this.
d00zah

Re: LG BH16NS55 Firmware

Post by d00zah »

A GOOD SATA connection is preferred, as your USB2SATA adapter appears to be incompatible.

3 Options:

- Troubleshoot "very touchy" SATA connection.
- Use another PC w/ a GOOD SATA connection.
- Acquire a 'recommended' USB adapter/enclosure (see Guide).

My recommendation. How you proceed is your call. Be methodical.

- Download latest MK firmware. Link at the bottom of 1st post.
- Extract MK\HL-DT-ST\WH14NS40-NS50\HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH14NS40-NS50-1.04-NM01201-211901041351.bin
- Download ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified) (24.08.2019).zip (or any other flash tool linked in the Guide... generally speaking, they all work the same).
- Extract 'ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe' to same folder containing 'HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH14NS40-NS50-1.04-NM01201-211901041351.bin' .
- Launch 'ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe', select 'HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH14NS40-NS50-1.04-NM01201-211901041351.bin' when prompted, make sure your optical drive is selected & hit 'Start'.
- If successful, reboot PC.

Notes:
- If it fails, try launching 'ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe' by right-clicking & selecting 'Run as administrator'. (Don't recall if this was necessary?).
- If anything is unclear, follow general instructions detailed in this 'HOW TO' video to flash drive.

IF you encounter a failure, a precise error msg/ concise recounting of what you tried, specific FW image, flash tool, etc. will help anyone attempting to assist.