100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
jonghotti

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by jonghotti »

Yeah I've got a couple units I need to send in for service and it won't look real good if they show up with 3.01 loaded on em so I was wondering how do I get them back to factory default. I quickly looked on the website and didn't see a firmware update utility but that's gotta be me not seeing it.

This might be a totally stupid question but I have the original firmware dump can I just use the dos flasher and write that back to the drive or does the original dump need to be blended with anything to make a complete firmware file?

Sometimes it surprises me how dumb I actually am :)
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:51 am
jonghotti wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:59 am
Hey is there a clean ASUS 3.03 around?
I don't have one and I haven't seen one around. Just did a quick search on here and google. No luck.

Could you create one yourself by getting a 3.03 and hexing in the sections from a clean 3.02. (basically the reverse of what the EEPROM data mover does)???
May not be that simple unfortunately.
Last edited by st4evr on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

jonghotti wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:01 am
Yeah I've got a couple units I need to send in for service and it won't look real good if they show up with 3.01 loaded on em so I was wondering how do I get them back to factory default. I quickly looked on the website and didn't see a firmware update utility but that's gotta be me not seeing it.

This might be a totally stupid question but I have the original firmware dump can I just use the dos flasher and write that back to the drive or does the original dump need to be blended with anything to make a complete firmware file?

Many have updated from 3.01/3.02 to 3.03 willingly or accidentally. Using ASUS standard firmware update process should allow you to return it to stock.

Regardless, ASUS usually does not give as much of a shit as LG about this kind of stuff. Sending the drives back with 3.01 or 3.02 shouldn’t be a problem IMO. Their RMA techs may either not give a shit or simply not know the difference.

If they give you shit? Lie. Lol.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jonghotti wrote:

Try here https://www.asus.com/Optical-Drives-Sto ... _Download/

Just select your os.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Thanks, I was getting nothing after selecting my OS yesterday, works fine now.

And Steve, my bad, I did not mean "clean" 3.03 I was just looking FOR 3.03 lol. Thanks for keeping it real up in here.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jonghotti wrote:

you can just flash back the original if you have it no need to merge it with anything it has the original calibration data.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:04 am
jonghotti wrote:

you can just flash back the original if you have it no need to merge it with anything it has the original calibration data.
As Billy said, or you can just use the official ASUS updater. LOL, I think Alex was having a brain fart moment!!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:04 am
Thanks, I'm not used to going back to where I started.
CyberGoth

Post by CyberGoth »

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask this here or not, If not please delete.

Is there anyone in the South London, UK area that can help me out by downgrading my Asus BW-16D1HT drive?
Rickyrockard

Post by Rickyrockard »

Hi Teddy,

I've just followed your very helpful FreeDOS instructions to downgrade. I'm not able to PM you (too new to the site) so I've attached my my backup copy of my firmware which you say that you'll kindly edit....?!

Are you able to do so for me?

Many thanks.
Attachments
BW_BACKU.BAK.zip
(31.07 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Rickyrockard wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:26 pm
Hi Teddy,

I've just followed your very helpful FreeDOS instructions to downgrade. I'm not able to PM you (too new to the site) so I've attached my my backup copy of my firmware which you say that you'll kindly edit....?!

Are you able to do so for me?

Many thanks.
im 99% sure you dumped it wrong. most zipped fws are about 1.3 MB yours is 31 kb no way that is the firmware.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
FatMike

Post by FatMike »

Thanks Teddy for the awesome work and to everyone else for the tips and tricks. I read up on all the relevant threads while waiting for my drive to come in the mail and finally downgraded a BW-16D1HT to 3.01 using the methods provided in this thread. Thanks also to giomania for the great notes. And thanks to Mike for the great and powerful MakeMKV.

I successfully ripped 3 UDH films from my collection on the first try. Now to get my storage situation in order...
apw63

Post by apw63 »

Hello I'm new to the forum. I'm trying to downgrade my BW-16D1HT. Ive been able to dump my firemare ver 3.03. The dump file is 2048 kb. I have tried to follow the windows instructions for HEX editing the clean firmware. When I flash the modified firmware i get write errors and the drives does not function. I can re flash the drive back to FW 3.03 no problems, drive returns to normal function. I must be doing something wrong witht the HEX editing. I'm using HxD as the editor. I have attached both my dump and modified files. Could some one take a look and see what ive done wrong.

Thank you
Attachments
TEST.rar
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 541 times
3.03.rar
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 515 times
Rickyrockard

Post by Rickyrockard »

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:52 pm
im 99% sure you dumped it wrong. most zipped fws are about 1.3 MB yours is 31 kb no way that is the firmware.
Nuts!!! My USB stick had run out of space. lol

Lets try again (attached).
Attachments
ASUSFIRM.BAK.zip
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 519 times
Rickyrockard

Post by Rickyrockard »

Actually, not to worry. Now that I have the full file I was able to make the changes myself.

Brilliant guide Teddy. Thank you to you and all who contributed.