LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Revali
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:24 am

LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by Revali » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:30 am

First time UHD ripper here. I have LG WH16NS40 and I'm running MakeMKV v1.12.0. Got the hashed keys and put them in the data folder, but MakeMKV will show the spinning disc animation for a while and then eventually show "no disc" when I put the disc in. the UHD disc is from best buy's steelbook. What could be going on here?

Am I out of luck if I don't have "SVC code: NS50"?

st4evr
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by st4evr » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:27 am

Read this post and follow the links provided. They provide detailed explanations and instructions.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 9&start=30

If you do NOT meet those requirements then it is a simple yes, you are SOOL. The requirements on drives that are capable of ripping UHD are there for a reason and need to be met.

Liquidmetal
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:46 am

Re: LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by Liquidmetal » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:58 pm

Your WH16NS40 almost has to have a newer firmware that is causing problems. My older WH16NS40 reads The Last Jedi UHD disc just fine. That doesn't do much good when the keys for this movie aren't available yet!

Go ahead and look into downgrading your WH16NS40 firmware, like the other guy said. A lot of people have been successful with it, from what I gather.

I submitted an AACS dump for this disc, so hopefully it will be possible to rip in the near future.

Kevinicus
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:26 am

Re: LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by Kevinicus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:12 am

Liquidmetal wrote:Your WH16NS40 almost has to have a newer firmware that is causing problems. My older WH16NS40 reads The Last Jedi UHD disc just fine. That doesn't do much good when the keys for this movie aren't available yet!

Go ahead and look into downgrading your WH16NS40 firmware, like the other guy said. A lot of people have been successful with it, from what I gather.

I submitted an AACS dump for this disc, so hopefully it will be possible to rip in the near future.
There was a key for it as of the 21st (or maybe 25th?). I have started the conversion, though my drive has had trouble with some Disney discs (Trying my 2nd disc of TLJ, and still getting errors about halfway through, about the same place as I have trouble with Guardians of the Galaxy - layer change?).

Note: It is under "The Last Jedi" and not "Star Wars."

st4evr
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by st4evr » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:25 am

The first key for the UHD BD of TLJ (Region A) was added on 3/14/18.

There is a discussion on Myce that tracks key additions for MakeMKV and that addition was confirmed on that day. I also checked myself upon announcement. Someone with early access to the disc submitted the dump.

Other regions should begin to appear as it becomes available in those regions.

Metallikahn
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Re: LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by Metallikahn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:32 pm

Ripped TLJ on Tuesday and had zero issues. Same drive. Revision 1.02 Firmware date: 2117-03-10 16:50

No problems with any other recent Disney movies I can think of, either. Thor ripped perfect as well.

Liquidmetal
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:46 am

Re: LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by Liquidmetal » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:31 am

This is my first UHD rip as well. It turns out that I put the hashed key file in the MakeMKV folder under Program Files instead of the data directory. That was why it seemed like keys weren't available for my disc. :oops:

I put the key file in the proper location, and of course it works now... to some extent.

I found some medium-sized specks of some sticky substance (not sure how it got there) on the edge of the disc and cleaned it off, since it was causing the rip to fail. In spite of this, the rip is still failing. I carefully wiped it with a microfiber cloth and tried again. After several rounds of this, I finally got past the 25GB mark... when MakeMKV froze and became unresponsive at 27GB.

This disc is obviously under the influence of the dark side. :lol:

I'll give it another try tomorrow and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I will look in to my options.

Edit: I just noticed that other people on this forum have mentioned hash check issues when ripping this movie. That still doesn't explain why MakeMKV froze at 27GB, but it does tell me there is probably more going on than just grime on the disc.

Metallikahn
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Re: LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by Metallikahn » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:09 pm

Could just be a bad disc, as well. Take it back to where you bought it and exchange it for another. 99% of retailers will do this no questions asked.

Liquidmetal
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:46 am

Re: LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by Liquidmetal » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 am

Metallikahn wrote:Could just be a bad disc, as well. Take it back to where you bought it and exchange it for another. 99% of retailers will do this no questions asked.
I have not attempted to clean the disc again since I tried ripping it a few times last night. I tried making a decrypted backup earlier this afternoon, and it worked without errors! It REALLY bugs me that it just suddenly worked for no obvious reason. It could be luck, or it could be a dying drive.

Whatever the case, I will still be exchanging the movie at Best Buy. I want to be 100% sure it is the disc and not the drive.

I'm getting off-topic at this point, though. I'll make another thread if I feel like discussing my issues more.

Anyway, best of luck to OP. I know how aggravating it can be to buy something that is more work than you anticipated.

spear
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:29 am

Re: LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by spear » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:38 am

(Same drive and FW.) I'm not quite sure what's going in my system but both of my first two UHD rips (Coco and TLJ) have the same problem -- the initial attempts fail (eg. hash check errors in BDMV/STREAM/00018.m2ts for TLJ). However, if I read through the offending file (using "dd" in Linux), there are no errors. If I then try to rip again, it works.

I'm not complaining since it eventually works, but does anyone know what's going on? Should I be doing something different?

met_fan
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Re: LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by met_fan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:31 pm

Liquidmetal wrote:This is my first UHD rip as well. It turns out that I put the hashed key file in the MakeMKV folder under Program Files instead of the data directory. That was why it seemed like keys weren't available for my disc. :oops:

I put the key file in the proper location, and of course it works now... to some extent.

I found some medium-sized specks of some sticky substance (not sure how it got there) on the edge of the disc and cleaned it off, since it was causing the rip to fail. In spite of this, the rip is still failing. I carefully wiped it with a microfiber cloth and tried again. After several rounds of this, I finally got past the 25GB mark... when MakeMKV froze and became unresponsive at 27GB.

This disc is obviously under the influence of the dark side. :lol:

I'll give it another try tomorrow and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I will look in to my options.

Edit: I just noticed that other people on this forum have mentioned hash check issues when ripping this movie. That still doesn't explain why MakeMKV froze at 27GB, but it does tell me there is probably more going on than just grime on the disc.
My copy of The Last Jedi craps out at 27 GB, too. I'm using a different drive, though - an ASUS BW-16D1HT.

met_fan
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Re: LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by met_fan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:33 pm

spear wrote:(Same drive and FW.) I'm not quite sure what's going in my system but both of my first two UHD rips (Coco and TLJ) have the same problem -- the initial attempts fail (eg. hash check errors in BDMV/STREAM/00018.m2ts for TLJ). However, if I read through the offending file (using "dd" in Linux), there are no errors. If I then try to rip again, it works.

I'm not complaining since it eventually works, but does anyone know what's going on? Should I be doing something different?
What do you mean by "However, if I read through the offending file (using "dd" in Linux), there are no errors. If I then try to rip again, it works."?

violaian
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:39 pm

Re: LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by violaian » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:39 am

[quote=Am I out of luck if I don't have "SVC code: NS50"?[/quote]

Unfortunately, yes. the NS50 is required.

spear
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:29 am

Re: LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by spear » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:20 am

met_fan wrote:[...]
What do you mean by "However, if I read through the offending file (using "dd" in Linux), there are no errors. If I then try to rip again, it works."?
After the rip fails, I run something like this on a shell command line (I'm on a Linux system) to read through the file where MakeMKV stopped:

Code: Select all

# dd if=/path/to/BDMV/STREAM/00018.m2ts of=/dev/null bs=1M
It completes without error, which means it was able to read every byte of that file from disc. Then I run MakeMKV to rip again, and this time it works.

Liquidmetal
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:46 am

Re: LG WH16NS40 can't read The Last Jedi

Post by Liquidmetal » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:55 pm

spear wrote:
met_fan wrote:[...]
What do you mean by "However, if I read through the offending file (using "dd" in Linux), there are no errors. If I then try to rip again, it works."?
After the rip fails, I run something like this on a shell command line (I'm on a Linux system) to read through the file where MakeMKV stopped:

Code: Select all

# dd if=/path/to/BDMV/STREAM/00018.m2ts of=/dev/null bs=1M
It completes without error, which means it was able to read every byte of that file from disc. Then I run MakeMKV to rip again, and this time it works.
Interesting... and very odd. Whatever this problem is, I guess my drive isn't going bad after all!

I was able to rip successfully after I decided to try to do a full decrypted backup of the disc. It failed when I tried to do a full, non-decrypted backup before that. I know that is not the same as doing a raw image of the disk with DD, but it seemed to have a similar effect on my rip. No idea why decrypted worked and non-decrypted did not, though. :?

Hopefully some of these random discoveries can help OP out when he gets the drive issue taken care of.

Post Reply