BW-16D1HT Not reading UHD

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
d4thev

BW-16D1HT Not reading UHD

Post by d4thev »

Ok so I just bought a BW-16D1HT and also a Vantec NST-536S3-BK because I have a small form factor PC with no spot for a disk drive. These are specs for drive:

OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.02
Serial number: SIK91I2NJ373
Firmware date: 2117-11-15 17:16:
Bus encryption flags: 1F

I only have one UHD, The Greatest Showman, and MakeMKV does not read it. I have found some instructions on what to do but they have been for a drive installed internally. Is there someone that can point me in right direction of a thread where this issue has already been dealt with?
alexcoluzzi32

Re: BW-16D1HT Not reading UHD

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

d4thev wrote:Ok so I just bought a BW-16D1HT and also a Vantec NST-536S3-BK because I have a small form factor PC with no spot for a disk drive. These are specs for drive:

OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.02
Serial number: SIK91I2NJ373
Firmware date: 2117-11-15 17:16:
Bus encryption flags: 1F

I only have one UHD, The Greatest Showman, and MakeMKV does not read it. I have found some instructions on what to do but they have been for a drive installed internally. Is there someone that can point me in right direction of a thread where this issue has already been dealt with?
Hi,

User smartieyoung was ripping that with the same drive this morning I believe. Did you grab the hashed key file and place it in the right directory?

Instructions are the same for external/internal drives, they're all the same inside. I've learned the hard way, the UHD disc has to be SPOTLESS, no dust, fingerprints, smudges, nada. Even if it looks clean it may not be, I was told wash it with water and dish soap then dry across the grain, not in concentric circles, with "microfiber cleaning cloths".

Basically I buy a disc, open it carefully, put it right into the makemkv setup, rip the shit out of it, disc back in the pack, files on a USB stick and watch them from the soundbar USB port to get the surround sound the end.

Just going by memory here, very helpful folks on this forum.
d4thev

Post by d4thev »

I mean as far as the hashed keys are concerned I am simply putting the text file of the hashed keys in the folder where MakeMKV has designated the data directory right? In my case the data directory is "D:/Program Files (x86)/MakeMKV" so I just have the txt file of the hashed keys in there. Cleanliness of the disk it is brand new, just opened, looks spotless, but I guess I can try cleaning it.

How do I check with smartieyoung to see what he did?
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

Your firmware version indicates 3.02, however my drive had 3.02 also but a manufacture date of February 2018 where ASUS had plugged in the AACS loophole, so I had to downgrade it to the friendly 3.02 firmware.

What is the manufacture date of your drive? It can be found on the label underneath the drive. Perhaps it needs to be downgraded to a UHD friendly firmware for your drive too. Please look at the firmware downgrading thread on how to do that (http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 16&t=17058)
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

d4thev wrote:I mean as far as the hashed keys are concerned I am simply putting the text file of the hashed keys in the folder where MakeMKV has designated the data directory right? In my case the data directory is "D:/Program Files (x86)/MakeMKV" so I just have the txt file of the hashed keys in there. Cleanliness of the disk it is brand new, just opened, looks spotless, but I guess I can try cleaning it.

Does "View -> Preferences -> General" show the above data directory? Mine was set in Users .. hence the question ...
datadir.PNG
datadir.PNG (14.01 KiB) Viewed 26885 times
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

1st post says 'Firmware date: 2117-11-15 17:16: ' which is:

- either a typo & actually 'Firmware date: 2017-11-15 17:16: '
- time travel?

Another question... what version of MakeMKV? When v1.12.1 was quickly followed by v1.12.2 because of a similar issue.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 12&t=17401
d4thev

Post by d4thev »

fljoemon wrote:Your firmware version indicates 3.02, however my drive had 3.02 also but a manufacture date of February 2018 where ASUS had plugged in the AACS loophole, so I had to downgrade it to the friendly 3.02 firmware.

What is the manufacture date of your drive? It can be found on the label underneath the drive. Perhaps it needs to be downgraded to a UHD friendly firmware for your drive too. Please look at the firmware downgrading thread on how to do that (http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 16&t=17058)
The problem with those instructions is that are they not assuming internal drive? I mean it mentions "A motherboard having SATA controller set as IDE (not AHCI !!!)" but I am connecting via USB 3.0

I am also running the 1.12.2 version of MakeMKV
Attachments
My drive label
My drive label
IMG_20180423_215407.jpg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 26882 times
d4thev

Post by d4thev »

fljoemon wrote:
d4thev wrote:I mean as far as the hashed keys are concerned I am simply putting the text file of the hashed keys in the folder where MakeMKV has designated the data directory right? In my case the data directory is "D:/Program Files (x86)/MakeMKV" so I just have the txt file of the hashed keys in there. Cleanliness of the disk it is brand new, just opened, looks spotless, but I guess I can try cleaning it.

Does "View -> Preferences -> General" show the above data directory? Mine was set in Users .. hence the question ...
The attachment datadir.PNG is no longer available
Mine just appears to be where MakeMKV is installed. Again so I am simply putting the text file of the hashed keys in there?
Attachments
MakeMKV data directory.jpg
MakeMKV data directory.jpg (42.16 KiB) Viewed 26881 times
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Manufacturing date is Feb 2018, so I'm guessing this case applies:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 414#p62461

& you'll need to find a way to downgrade the FW. A friend with a PC w/ SATA ports?
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

If you do not have access to a PC to downgrade the firmware, you best bet would be to return this drive and get one from a forum member who sells these.
Last edited by fljoemon on Wed May 02, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

fljoemon wrote:If you do not have access to a PC to downgrade the firmware, you best bet would be to return this drive and get one from Alex (http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/memberlis ... le&u=22939). Just PM him and he will set you up with a drive that can rip UHD 4K discs.
Hey kids, do you like violence? Wanna see me stick Nine Inch Nails into each of my eyelids?

I'd like these marked as exhibits A through C: [Images redacted.]
Last edited by alexcoluzzi32 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

I talk too much.
Last edited by alexcoluzzi32 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

d4thev wrote:Mine just appears to be where MakeMKV is installed. Again so I am simply putting the text file of the hashed keys in there?
If it shows the install directory, you should change it to something else - that directory is not normally writable.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

alexcoluzzi32 wrote:
fljoemon wrote:If you do not have access to a PC to downgrade the firmware, you best bet would be to return this drive and get one from Alex (http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/memberlis ... le&u=22939). Just PM him and he will set you up with a drive that can rip UHD 4K discs.
Yes redacted, because sometimes I am a complete moron. [Images redacted.]