LG BE14NU40 for Ripping 4K UHD

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Sush1988

LG BE14NU40 for Ripping 4K UHD

Post by Sush1988 »

Guys,
I have the LG BE14NU40, I can rip regular Bluray discs with no issues.

I tried using the drive to RIP 4K UHD discs unsuccessfully.

I tried using the MAC and when I insert the disc it just gets ejected and the Makemkv drive doesn't read the disc.

I tried the windows OS (VMware VM on my mac) and also copied the hash text file yet Makemkv still doesn't read the disc.

Can you guys suggest me where am going wrong? I really appreciate your suggestions.
Last edited by Sush1988 on Thu May 17, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: LG BE16NU50 for Ripping 4K UHD

Post by Woodstock »

Does the label on your drive show a service code of "NS50"?

If it does not, it isn't capable of reading BDXL disks, which are the basis for UHD. It will behave as you describe - saying "no disk" when a UHD disk is inserted.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Sush1988

Post by Sush1988 »

The screenshot has everything. Svc code is not 50 but the LG website says it can read BDXL drives. Am confused.

http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg- ... -dvd-drive
Attachments
IMG_0715.jpg
IMG_0715.jpg (677.13 KiB) Viewed 25371 times
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Simple, you need to ensure you are on the correct firmware. There are literally hundreds of posts in this forum and around the web on this subject/issue. You need to do some further reading/research to ensure you have the correct firmware/hardware combo for proper UHD BD ripping.
Woodstock

Re: LG BE14NU40 for Ripping 4K UHD

Post by Woodstock »

Unfortunately, the NS40 service code is a no-go as far as BDXL, even though the website says it supports BDXL. I know; I have an NS40 drive, and it cannot read a UHD disk.

The difference seems to be BDXL data vs. video disks. The NS40 service code drives can deal with a triple-layer data disk, but not a triple-layer video disk. And the only place you see triple-layers right now is in video disks.

NS50 fixed that, and the difference apparently isn't just in the firmware.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Sush1988 wrote:The screenshot has everything. Svc code is not 50 but the LG website says it can read BDXL drives. Am confused.
What Woodstock said plus Read:

https://www.myce.com/news/the-ultimate- ... ive-83254/

You have an old version of the drive "pre-UHD Friendly" manufacture date.
Philnick

Post by Philnick »

My LG BE14NU40 has no service code. It's on the original unpatched 1.00 firmware from 2012, and gives the "No Disk" error for UHD disks but does rip BDs slowly (it said the BD I set it to reading last night as I went to bed would take four hours). It did complete successfully and the copy plays through Media Player Classic Home Cinema (x64). I didn't have to look for or enter any decryption key.

makeMKV says LibreDrive is not activated in the drive's firmware but is possible with its hardware.

I've downloaded the drive's 8/10/2016 1.03 firmware - which, like everything else about the drive, talks about Win XP, 7 and 8 but doesn't mention 10 at all. (I'm running x64 Win 10 Pro, version 1709.)

(1) Any reason not to run the 1.03 installer?

(2) Will it speed up BD reads with Libre?

(3) If it enables Libre, will that let it read UHD disks?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Philnick wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:00 pm

1. yes if it not the right firmware for the drive it wont read any disks

2. no

3. no
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Philnick wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:00 pm
My LG BE14NU40 has no service code. It's on the original unpatched 1.00 firmware from 2012, and gives the "No Disk" error for UHD disks but does rip BDs slowly (it said the BD I set it to reading last night as I went to bed would take four hours). It did complete successfully and the copy plays through Media Player Classic Home Cinema (x64). I didn't have to look for or enter any decryption key.

makeMKV says LibreDrive is not activated in the drive's firmware but is possible with its hardware.

I've downloaded the drive's 8/10/2016 1.03 firmware - which, like everything else about the drive, talks about Win XP, 7 and 8 but doesn't mention 10 at all. (I'm running x64 Win 10 Pro, version 1709.)

As Billycar11 said above, plus:

This drive will never, ever read UHD. It is far too old!! UHD friendly LG drives have SVC NS50 (or greater) code on them and were released from approximately October 2015.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Philnick

Post by Philnick »

It is specifically for my model drive, accord its readme file.

MakeMKV reports that its hardware is Libre drive compatible. Even

My main concern is Win 10 compatibility for the firmware updater. Much of my software I've had since the days of XP and 7. Can I assume that anything that runs under Windows 8 will run under 10?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Philnick wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:09 am
It is specifically for my model drive, accord its readme file.

MakeMKV reports that its hardware is Libre drive compatible. Even

My main concern is Win 10 compatibility for the firmware updater. Much of my software I've had since the days of XP and 7. Can I assume that anything that runs under Windows 8 will run under 10?
Libre drive UHD compatibility
what it means is you can read disks without needing an aacs key the movies are still encrypted and need a title key to be played
before Libredrive the drive would lock us out with no valid aacs key and we could not even read disk
friendly drives also got around this because they dont have aacs 2.x that uhd disks have
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
Philnick

Post by Philnick »

Did you read my first post? With the 2012 1.00 firmware and makeMKV I was able to read the Blu-ray disk and copy out the first version of the film without an encryption code, and the resulting file plays fine in Media Player Classic (and in Windows Media Player - I just checked). I didn't bother trying the other versions on the disk, which I assume are other languages.

The disk was the Blu-ray of Return of the Jedi.

makeMKV reports that the drive it's connected to has hardware that's compatible with LibreDrive, but firmware that's not.

I get that I won't be able to rip UHD disks. My objective is to speed up the process with Blu-rays.

Are you saying that the 2016 firmware issued for this drive by its own manufacturer will brick it?

Are you saying that the 2016 firmware will render it less compatible with makeMKV than the 2012 firmware?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Philnick wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:00 am
1. Did you read my first post? With the 2012 1.00 firmware and makeMKV I was able to read the Blu-ray disk and copy out the first version of the film without an encryption code, and the resulting file plays fine in Media Player Classic (and in Windows Media Player - I just checked). I didn't bother trying the other versions on the disk, which I assume are other languages.

2. The disk was the Blu-ray of Return of the Jedi.

3. makeMKV reports that the drive it's connected to has hardware that's compatible with LibreDrive, but firmware that's not.

4. I get that I won't be able to rip UHD disks. My objective is to speed up the process with Blu-rays.

5. Are you saying that the 2016 firmware issued for this drive by its own manufacturer will brick it?

6. Are you saying that the 2016 firmware will render it less compatible with makeMKV than the 2012 firmware?
1. i did read it i dont think you understand that makemkv decrypts the video thats one of the programs main features most movies dvd bluray hddvd uhd are encrypted. makemkv has the keys built in

2. that disk is encrypted in windows file explorer copy the files directly off the disk they will not play.

3. only mike knows what firmware for that drive would enable libredrive my guess is none of them makemkv is just stating it is possible not that it is enabled in a different newer version in fact most times you need to downgrade to enable libredrive

4. to speed up your rips you get a faster drive that is 16x not 14x but even the best bluray drive will only read bluray a 8x

5. no im saying if you put the wrong one on it will because lg have multiple revisions of the same drive different hardware that are not intercompatible i have seen so many ruined drives so many emails for help

6. no but i dont think it will make it more compatible
Philnick

Post by Philnick »

Ok, I'll just leave it as it is.

Thanks.