UHD Backups Stall at About 50%

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Chipless

UHD Backups Stall at About 50%

Post by Chipless »

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue I've encountered with several different UHD discs where the backup speed stalls to 0.0X about 50% of the way through (usually right around the 30GB mark). My latest failure occurred with the UHD disc of Black Panther, which I tried to create a backup of almost a dozen times, but was unsuccessful every time due to the aforementioned issue. I've successfully backed-up several UHD discs, some of them on the same day other discs have failed. I believe Hacksaw Ridge was another one that kept stalling, but eventually, and after 6+ attempts, I finally was able to create a backup.

I've tried the following drive on a Windows machine, as well as on a Mac, but the results are the same with either:

LG WH16NS40
ROM VER: 1.00
SVC CODE: NS50

Is this a drive issue? Or, is it a disc issue? Any suggestions?
Woodstock

Re: UHD Backups Stall at About 50%

Post by Woodstock »

Do "regular" BDs fail around the 25GB mark as well?

The size is suspiciously close to where the data changes layers. The laser has to refocus at that point.

A contributing factor can be that "chemical haze" I've mentioned in other topics. When it is present, the laser light is diffused, so focus is affected.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chipless

Post by Chipless »

Woodstock wrote:Do "regular" BDs fail around the 25GB mark as well?

The size is suspiciously close to where the data changes layers. The laser has to refocus at that point.

A contributing factor can be that "chemical haze" I've mentioned in other topics. When it is present, the laser light is diffused, so focus is affected.
Thanks for the response. I've had zero issues with the 50+ normal Blurays I've ripped. I thought the stall point was suspicious as well, but it only stalls out on certain discs, which might support your "chemical haze" theory. Do you think getting a different drive could solve this issue? The Asus BW-16D1HT is tempting as an experiment, but I'd have to buy an external enclosure for it, as well as possibly downgrade the firmware :|

Update: Decided to order the Asus BW-16D1HT with a VANTEC CB-ST00U3 NexStar USB 3.0 To SATA adapter. I will update with results later this week.
rivey

Post by rivey »

Chipless wrote:
Thanks for the response. I've had zero issues with the 50+ normal Blurays I've ripped. I thought the stall point was suspicious as well, but it only stalls out on certain discs, which might support your "chemical haze" theory. Do you think getting a different drive could solve this issue? The Asus BW-16D1HT is tempting as an experiment, but I'd have to buy an external enclosure for it, as well as possibly downgrade the firmware :|

Update: Decided to order the Asus BW-16D1HT with a VANTEC CB-ST00U3 NexStar USB 3.0 To SATA adapter. I will update with results later this week.
The chemical haze issue can be resolved by cleaning the disc. All you need to do is use a spray bottle with a 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol. Spray the mixture on a clean microfiber cloth and clean the disc. Since I have been doing this, most all problems have gone away. I do this on every new disc (standard blu-ray and UHD blu-ray's) I buy. Try this and let us know if it helps. Good luck.
Chipless

Post by Chipless »

rivey wrote: The chemical haze issue can be resolved by cleaning the disc. All you need to do is use a spray bottle with a 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol. Spray the mixture on a clean microfiber cloth and clean the disc. Since I have been doing this, most all problems have gone away. I do this on every new disc (standard blu-ray and UHD blu-ray's) I buy. Try this and let us know if it helps. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion. I cleaned the disc per your instructions, and instead of stalling this time, I received the following:

Hash check failed for file 00045.m2ts at offset 27695769600, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00045.m2ts at offset 27709925376, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00045.m2ts at offset 27721918464, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00045.m2ts at offset 27747280896, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00045.m2ts at offset 27755145216, file is corrupt.
Too many hash check errors in file 00045.m2ts.
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:LOGICAL UNIT HAS NOT SELF-CONFIGURED YET' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00045.m2ts' at offset '28844027904'
Encountered 6 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/read/
Encountered 36 errors of type 'HashCheck Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/hashcheck/...
Backup failed

I tried it again, and the backup finished, but with the following caveats:

Hash check failed for file 00045.m2ts at offset 27218208768, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00045.m2ts at offset 27219388416, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00045.m2ts at offset 27322607616, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00045.m2ts at offset 31206795264, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00045.m2ts at offset 31420508160, file is corrupt.
Too many hash check errors in file 00045.m2ts.
Hash check for /BDMV/STREAM/00045.m2ts : 0.00% corrupt, 99.99% correct, 99.99% checked.
Encountered 26 errors of type 'HashCheck Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/hashcheck/...
Backup done but 1 files failed hash check

Is it safe to assume it's a drive issue?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Not necessarily. Although this is a weird error message:

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:LOGICAL UNIT HAS NOT SELF-CONFIGURED YET' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00045.m2ts' at offset '28844027904'
I've seen where a drive will appear to be off-line to the operating system (and MakeMKV by extension), if it is in a retry loop attempting to read a bad sector, but the "has not self-configured" is a new one.

I'm assuming this is an internal drive, so it wouldn't have power issues. If it's a USB drive that gets its power from the USB port, there are other issues that can pop up.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chipless

Post by Chipless »

Woodstock wrote:Not necessarily. Although this is a weird error message:

Code: Select all

I've seen where a drive will appear to be off-line to the operating system (and MakeMKV by extension), if it is in a retry loop attempting to read a bad sector, but the "has not self-configured" is a new one.

I'm assuming this is an internal drive, so it wouldn't have power issues. If it's a USB drive that gets its power from the USB port, there are other issues that can pop up.
Thanks for the input. It is an internal drive (by model), but I run it externally using a power supply in conjunction with a SATA to USB adapter.

I tried the Blank Panther UHD disc a third time, and got the "too many hash check errors" message again. At least it's not stalling at all now, so I guess that's an improvement. I will attempt later this week once the Asus drive arrives as well as the new power supply/SATA to USB combo unit. Here's to hoping the Asus comes with the old firmware.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Update the firmware on that ancient piece of shit. Why do you think LG was shipping that 1.02 for years?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Chipless

Post by Chipless »

jonghotti wrote:Update the firmware on that ancient piece of shit. Why do you think LG was shipping that 1.02 for years?
Thanks for the suggestion. With all of the problems with new firmware closing the AACS loophole, I've been wary of messing with it. Should I update to 1.02-A0 via https://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-WH16NS40?
BlueMac77

Post by BlueMac77 »

Chipless wrote:
I've tried the following drive on a Windows machine, as well as on a Mac, but the results are the same with either:

LG WH16NS40
Hi Chipless. Just an off topic question. You mentioned the LG WH16NS40 can also read a UHD 4K disc on a Mac OSX. Were you able to actually do the backup of the UHD disc on the Mac OS? What version of the Mac OSX are you using? From what I understand, UHD discs can only be read and ripped in Windows 10 and not on a Mac OSX. Thanks
Chipless

Post by Chipless »

BlueMac77 wrote:
Chipless wrote:

LG WH16NS40
Hi Chipless. Just an off topic question. You mentioned the LG WH16NS40 can also read a UHD 4K disc on a Mac OSX. Were you able to actually do the backup of the UHD disc on the Mac OS? What version of the Mac OSX are you using? From what I understand, UHD discs can only be read and ripped in Windows 10 and not on a Mac OSX. Thanks
I have successfully been able to both create backups and MKV files of UHD discs via Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. I can also verify that the UHD MKV files play back successfully via an Oppo 203 connected to an LG C7. HDR and sound formats intact 8)
BlueMac77

Post by BlueMac77 »

Chipless wrote:
BlueMac77 wrote:
Chipless wrote:

LG WH16NS40
I have successfully been able to both create backups and MKV files of UHD discs via Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. I can also verify that the UHD MKV files play back successfully via an Oppo 203 connected to an LG C7. HDR and sound formats intact 8)
Hello Thanks for the helpful feedback. I also have a LG WH16NS40 with a Firmware 1.00. In Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9, Yosemite 10.10 or Windows 7, I inserted a 4K UHD Wonder Woman disc but could not be read. Maybe a newer OS in Sierra has better support on UHD. I’ll give it a try when I get the chance to upgrade to Sierra 10.12. The LG drive is fine as I tested it with other discs and on other computers. Thanks. :)