SATA > USB data cables and external power adapters

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
jonghotti

SATA > USB data cables and external power adapters

Post by jonghotti » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:43 pm

Feel free to delete this but would someone please explain why for the love of all things good and kind am I unable to get one of these drives working properly using either the Sabrent model USB-DSC9 + power supply
or a combination of USB 3.1 Type A + external power supply or Type C + PSU these gems being made by Xtreme PRO.

I get lights camera and no action meaning I can’t eject the fucking tray no matter what I do? MakeMKV eject button doesn’t do it nor does pressing, hitting, punching, standing on, or hitting with a sledgehammer I’ve even gone so far as to ask it nicely.

jonghotti

Re: SATA > USB data cables and external power adapters

Post by jonghotti » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:46 pm

I have now wasted an incalculable amount of time and an easily calculable amount of money trying to save someone $25 because they didn’t want to buy an enclosure and being the nice guy i am I figured a cable would do the trick.
I guess not.

Thank you for letting me vent I’ve got 6 people to apologize to regarding their late shipments.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:13 pm

Sincerely NOT trying to spin you back up after successful venting, but the Sabrent adapter bills itself as a "USB 3.0 TO SATA/IDE Hard Drive Converter". Although I didn't see it mentioned in manual (pretty picture book, actually... they don't make manuals like they used to), some of these adapters don't do ATAPI devices (ODDs), & I'll wager this is one of 'em. When shopping, look for specific mention of ATAPI/ODD support & save yourself an ulcer.

jonghotti

Post by jonghotti » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:20 pm

Ah ha now see right on the front of the box which is in pieces on the floor it clearly states quickly access 2.5/3.5” sata/ide hard drives *and* 5.25” SATA/IDE CD/DVD-RW Drives.

Granted it said nothing about 4K UHD Friendly optical drives which can also read CDs, DVDs and possibly the New York Times.

Lemme find my blood pressure meds be right back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jonghotti

Post by jonghotti » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:42 pm

Oh Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick nowhere does this mention ATAPI support.
That’s why this shit doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Fair cop... no 2 docs alike. UHD should still speak ATAPI. Bad drive? Bum connection? Solar flares?

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:50 pm

jonghotti wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:42 pm
Oh Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick nowhere does this mention ATAPI support.
That’s why this shit doesn’t work.
'CD/DVD-RW Drives' = ATAPI, but maybe they don't label it as such nowadays? Might be showing my age... sigh.

jonghotti

Post by jonghotti » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:54 pm

I've said it once and I'll say it again people, reading IS fundamental!

Please don't delete this thread yet Woodstock :)

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Most of the adapters I've played with suck in one way or another. I've used USB2 and USB3 to eSATA, USB2 to SATA and IDE, and even eSATA to USB, and all of them had quirks that made things worse.

I now use hot-swap tray-less SATA drive bays, and have extension cables that let me plug 5.25" devices in to them.

Which reminds me, I was going to order another hot-swap bay for the "handbrake" machine I'll be building when FedEx decides to deliver my new motherboards...
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8