Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
jonghotti

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by jonghotti »

XrayDoc88 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:27 pm
Sorry to offend you st4evr. I did read this entire thread a few weeks ago. That's what made me decide to purchase an "official" UHD drive in the first place. I read LOTS of forum threads. I simply didn't remember that my question might have already been addressed. It doesn't make me a bad, slothful person. Perhaps you could be a little more tolerant and less critical? Just a thought. We're all at different stages in ripping our movie collections. Let's help each other.
He’s right Steve, New Years resolution time buddy :-)
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
grexe

Post by grexe »

I am also on the verge of moving up to 4k ripping my shiny new 4k discs, but sadly the WH16NS60 is not even available in the EU yet (e.g. amazon.de).
So the good part is I am happy to wait for support by MakeMKV :?
Wish you all happy backup and a great movie time in 2019, and many thanks to Mike for making it happen also on Linux!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

grexe wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:49 pm
but sadly the WH16NS60 is not even available in the EU yet (e.g. amazon.de).
It is BH16NS60 in Europe.
yorick

Post by yorick »

There's a BH16NS55 - but I think that's "UHD friendly", not UHD native, right?

The BH16NS60 I see for sale in Russia, Korea, Japan. Can't find it in Germany via Geizhals or Amazon (see https://geizhals.de/?fs=BH16NS60&in=)
Hunts778

Post by Hunts778 »

mike admin wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:37 pm
As of today, MakeMKV does not support any of "official" UHD drives for reading UHD discs. From the day one, we promised that these drives will eventually be supported - this day is coming. It is planned that in about two weeks MakeMKV would support LG "official" UHD drives, namely WH16NS60 and BU50N. If you are in a market for a new drive, given the holiday shopping season is going on, you may as well buy a "real UHD" drive. All firmware versions will be supported. For some newer drives a firmware "upgrade" will be required. If the firmware upgrade would be needed, it could be done using official LG flasher - no need for DOS boot or "hacky" methods.

UPDATE: Several forum members asked for clarifications for "friendly" drives with "locked" firmware, namely ASUS with FW3.03 and LG drives with FW1.01 . These will be supported the same way as "real" UHD drives with FW 1.01 - either natively, or they might require a firmware "update" with official vendor flasher. They might be enabled a little bit later than "official" UHD drives.

The current option to downgrade the FW is always available, but please make sure you know what you are doing..
Can you tell me if it will support BP60NB10? I have just purchased this drive and it appears as Firmware rev.1.00
jkeener88

Post by jkeener88 »

Owner of a ASUS BW-16D1HT, on its way, should have it next week! :mrgreen:
ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Question for Mike. I want to first clarify my ask is NOT a "when" kind of question. Just curious if there's any fundamental issues holding up release for the support of these drives. A few pages back you mentioned something about coordination with others being the cause for delay. Is that still ongoing or is something else preventing release? Thanks for any insight you can provide!
archermoo

Post by archermoo »

Is there anything those of us who have "official" drives can do to be of assistance? I have a BU50N.
FatMike

Post by FatMike »

Fantastic news. I grabbed my WH16NS60 about a month and a half ago. Was considering crossflashing into a "UHD friendly" drive but I think now I'll just leave that one as is for whatever Mike has on the horizon.

I ordered an ASUS friendly drive, that'll be my test unit to play around with in the meantime.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Malkana

Post by Malkana »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:31 pm
Question for Mike. Is that still ongoing or is something else preventing release? Thanks for any insight you can provide!
An update would be good for those of us waiting so we can decide if we want to explore other avenues. We are nearly into February... There is obviously a major hiccup in the works somewhere. The lack of a response suggests it’s a ways off yet, if even possible.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Malkana wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:18 am
An update would be good for those of us waiting so we can decide if we want to explore other avenues. We are nearly into February... There is obviously a major hiccup in the works somewhere. The lack of a response suggests it’s a ways off yet, if even possible.
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. The lack of response may just mean Mike is busy. We just wait for either a new release or some info on what's happening with it. Patience.
archer

Post by archer »

I think Mike made some big investments in LG during the holidays and preyed upon our craving for this feature. We purchased a ton of LG drives, Mike profits and never has to write a line of code again... :wink:
Malkana

Post by Malkana »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:39 am

The lack of response may just mean Mike is busy.
Mike is active in other areas of this forum :wink:
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Come on you guys, Mike’s just a man, with a man’s courage. You know he’s nothing but a man, and he will never fail. No one but Mike, with the pure of heart, can code the fuckin’ holy grail. Yeah Mike!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Malkana wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:31 am
SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:39 am

The lack of response may just mean Mike is busy.
Mike is active in other areas of this forum :wink:
Which would indicate that he's busy. ;)