NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
jerryfudd81
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by jerryfudd81 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:23 pm

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:15 pm
3.01 and 3.02 are both UHD friendly. He included them for completeness, but, quite frankly a few of us have found that MK 3.10 to be the overall best firmware for this drive so far. That being said, 3.02 works very well. I used it on mine for over a year without issue.
is it only MK 3.10 that has the sleep bug fixed? I'm guessing this is what I'm experiencing with 3.01 that if I leave the disc in after a rip for an extended period the drive makes a god awful noise and pressing eject does nothing however ejecting via MakeMKV pops it out ok.

SamuriHL
Posts: 1105
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by SamuriHL » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Yup...that's the sleep bug and yes, MK 3.10 is the firmware that fixes it.

VarHD
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:40 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by VarHD » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Hi! I'm new here and I only registered to just say THANK YOU for this.

I bought the ASUS BW-16D1HT drive today, manufactured in October 2018, it came with firmware 3.03 and couldn't read or even recognize UHD discs. I used this tool to downgrade it to 3.02 and now it reads the UHD disc so again, thanks a lot! Warranty void, but functionality added ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:05 am

VarHD wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:04 pm
Hi! I'm new here and I only registered to just say THANK YOU for this.

I bought the ASUS BW-16D1HT drive today, manufactured in October 2018, it came with firmware 3.03 and couldn't read or even recognize UHD discs. I used this tool to downgrade it to 3.02 and now it reads the UHD disc so again, thanks a lot! Warranty void, but functionality added ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You're welcome.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

jerryfudd81
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by jerryfudd81 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:03 am

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:30 pm
Yup...that's the sleep bug and yes, MK 3.10 is the firmware that fixes it.
I applied the MK 3.10 from the link below, but still get the sleep bug - am I using the right file?
https://www.makemkv.com/download/mk-fir ... 190319.zip from the first post on https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 113#p71880

also, it makes the same annoying seeking/grinding noise when trying to read a triple layer disc (in this instance Blade Runner 2049), with intermittent spin up and down. If it does get as far as the track select then starting the rip it has an eta of over 2hrs with the same noise still spinning up and down which obviously isn't right. Othertimes it just reports a SCSI error (see below).

Image

I've got a replacement '2049' disc on the way just to rule that out and not aware of any other triple layer titles in my collection (all of which work perfectly). I have however also got The Last Jedi coming today, not sure if that is a triple layer title.

thanks.

sl1pkn07
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:04 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by sl1pkn07 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:32 pm

Hi

i have a little qestion about the modified flasher

i tried to launch in linux with mono (https://www.mono-project.com) but seems your method for modify the flasher is uncompress(?) other flasher into the temporal folder and launch front here

Code: Select all

┌─┤[$]|[sl1pkn07]|[sL1pKn07]|[/tmp]|
└───╼  sha256sum ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer.exe 
ed51645f8078f6a2b0b6a6cfc766b8c185e68fc32fb148156b4e1790149a2311  ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer.exe
┌─┤[$]|[sl1pkn07]|[sL1pKn07]|[~/Descargas/(Modified) ASUS ODD FW Changer + UHD Friendly Firmwares]|
└───╼  sha256sum ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_\(Modified\).exe 
3dbf2c5bf60eb0ffd59175d87f0c762bb3c56ad38a05170d7e1d012ffdbea6ea  ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe
but due a KDE desktop KIO sandbox, is refuse to load (see the pic in here: https://i.ibb.co/CHWDv7t/Screenshot-20190405-225922.png)

is possible modify again the flasher, and uncompress it in the same folder like the modify flasher and launch from it?

greetings

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:16 am

sl1pkn07 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:32 pm
Hi

i have a little qestion about the modified flasher

i tried to launch in linux with mono (https://www.mono-project.com) but seems your method for modify the flasher is uncompress(?) other flasher into the temporal folder and launch front here

Code: Select all

┌─┤[$]|[sl1pkn07]|[sL1pKn07]|[/tmp]|
└───╼  sha256sum ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer.exe 
ed51645f8078f6a2b0b6a6cfc766b8c185e68fc32fb148156b4e1790149a2311  ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer.exe
┌─┤[$]|[sl1pkn07]|[sL1pKn07]|[~/Descargas/(Modified) ASUS ODD FW Changer + UHD Friendly Firmwares]|
└───╼  sha256sum ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_\(Modified\).exe 
3dbf2c5bf60eb0ffd59175d87f0c762bb3c56ad38a05170d7e1d012ffdbea6ea  ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe
but due a KDE desktop KIO sandbox, is refuse to load (see the pic in here: https://i.ibb.co/CHWDv7t/Screenshot-20190405-225922.png)

is possible modify again the flasher, and uncompress it in the same folder like the modify flasher and launch from it?

greetings
PM sent.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

minos1067
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:47 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by minos1067 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:56 am

Sorry I'm late to the game here but the MediaFire link isn't working. Can anybody else post or share the link please?

Not working https://www.mediafire.com/file/axxwfwr6 ... mwares.zip

(Modified) ASUS ODD FW Changer + UHD Friendly Firmwares.zip

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:46 am

minos1067 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:56 am
Sorry I'm late to the game here but the MediaFire link isn't working. Can anybody else post or share the link please?

Not working https://www.mediafire.com/file/axxwfwr6 ... mwares.zip

(Modified) ASUS ODD FW Changer + UHD Friendly Firmwares.zip
It seems to time out. Not sure what is going on there. I've uploaded it elsewhere and add a link. OP has also been updated.

https://dailyuploads.net/9mon7ptz5o6i

EDIT: Mediafire link is working again.
Last edited by MartyMcNuts on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

minos1067
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:47 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by minos1067 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:13 am

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:46 am
minos1067 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:56 am
Sorry I'm late to the game here but the MediaFire link isn't working. Can anybody else post or share the link please?

Not working https://www.mediafire.com/file/axxwfwr6 ... mwares.zip

(Modified) ASUS ODD FW Changer + UHD Friendly Firmwares.zip
It seems to time out. Not sure what is going on there. I've uploaded it elsewhere and add a link. OP has also been updated.

https://dailyuploads.net/9mon7ptz5o6i
Works wonders. Just bought the Asus BW-16D1HT Ver 3.03 Oct (or Nov) 2018 from Amazon.
Only downgraded to DE 3.02 using the exe on Win 10 Pro 64. Took maybe 15-seconds. So far 3 for 3. Gonna pu a license now finally :P Thanks for all of the hard work to everyone.

jerryfudd81
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by jerryfudd81 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:55 pm

jerryfudd81 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:03 am
SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:30 pm
Yup...that's the sleep bug and yes, MK 3.10 is the firmware that fixes it.
I applied the MK 3.10 from the link below, but still get the sleep bug - am I using the right file?
https://www.makemkv.com/download/mk-fir ... 190319.zip from the first post on https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 113#p71880

also, it makes the same annoying seeking/grinding noise when trying to read a triple layer disc (in this instance Blade Runner 2049), with intermittent spin up and down. If it does get as far as the track select then starting the rip it has an eta of over 2hrs with the same noise still spinning up and down which obviously isn't right. Othertimes it just reports a SCSI error (see below).

I've got a replacement '2049' disc on the way just to rule that out and not aware of any other triple layer titles in my collection (all of which work perfectly). I have however also got The Last Jedi coming today, not sure if that is a triple layer title.

thanks.
Replacement Blade Runner 2049 disc turned up yesterday and had no problems at all :evil:

Mtenga
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 10:32 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by Mtenga » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:55 pm

Just wanted to say many thanks to the OP for making this tool available. Just easily flashed my ASUS 16D-1HT drive down to 3.02 and it works without fuss. Great stuff :D

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 am

Mtenga wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:55 pm
Just wanted to say many thanks to the OP for making this tool available. Just easily flashed my ASUS 16D-1HT drive down to 3.02 and it works without fuss. Great stuff :D
You're welcome! Have fun backing up your 4K movies!!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

larsgj
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:03 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by larsgj » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:09 am

Just registered to thank MartyMcNuts for a working solution - and to provide some rest assurance for others who are confused like I was at first.

I researched options to play back 4k discs on my pc (Windows 10) and bought the ASUS BW-16D1HT which oc came with the 3.03 firmware. At first I was perplexed and disappointed as I couldn't get it to work. There were promises of dvdfab working on a solution, options for sending my drive to some guy on ebay who could downgrade for 15£. It all seemed pretty cumbersome. But lo and behold. The right forum and the right guy provided a solution where I just spent 1 minute to download and flash. Good stuff!

Thanks a lot! I can now rip and watch 4k movies on my pc :)

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:10 am

larsgj wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:09 am
Just registered to thank MartyMcNuts for a working solution - and to provide some rest assurance for others who are confused like I was at first.

I researched options to play back 4k discs on my pc (Windows 10) and bought the ASUS BW-16D1HT which oc came with the 3.03 firmware. At first I was perplexed and disappointed as I couldn't get it to work. There were promises of dvdfab working on a solution, options for sending my drive to some guy on ebay who could downgrade for 15£. It all seemed pretty cumbersome. But lo and behold. The right forum and the right guy provided a solution where I just spent 1 minute to download and flash. Good stuff!

Thanks a lot! I can now rip and watch 4k movies on my pc :)
You're very welcome. Have fun!!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

Post Reply