NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Billycar11

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by Billycar11 »

ibanezbass wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:51 pm
Is the BP50NB40 NB50 complete UHD unfriendly, or are we waiting on a firmware hack to be able to read UHD?
Unfriendly probably permanently
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts »

@Billycar11, @jonghotti, @SamuriHL,

I thought you guys might be interested in this.

@ibanezbass,

I dont' know if it will work (probably not!) for your BP50NB40 with 1.02 but please give this hybrid firmware a try. It won't hurt. It will either work or you will get the same error as before. If it manages to flash successfully then you will be good to go.

EDIT (03.09.2019):
I have created 2 modified (hybrid = HBD) firmwares solely for the BP50NB40. Firmware BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD will allow you to flash your BP50NB40 to BP60NB10. Firmware BP50NB40-NB50_1.01_MK_HBD will allow you to go back to BP50NB40_1.01_MK if you ever require it. See my original post for the firmware zip.

Cheers!
Last edited by MartyMcNuts on Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Woa. I'll have to take a look at that later. Neat!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:03 pm
@Billycar11, @jonghotti, @SamuriHL,

I thought you guys might be interested in this.

@ibanezbass,

I dont' know if it will work (probably not!) for your BP50NB40 with 1.02 but please give this hybrid firmware a try. It won't hurt. It will either work or you will get the same error as before. If it manages to flash successfully then you will be good to go.

EDIT (03.09.2019):
I have created a modified (hybrid) firmware that is based on BP60NB10_1.00_MK (with some BP50NB40 parts in it to still allow the drive to be flashed) solely to allow the BP50NB40 (NB50) to be flashed to a BP60NB10 and it now works with UHD discs. My original post has been updated with the "HBD" firmware.
Wow nice Marty your making me look bad lol just said it would probably stay unfriendly a few hours later you made a custom fw nice job
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
PrimoAngelo

Post by PrimoAngelo »

I have an LG BE16NU50 and LG BH16NS55 drives. Thanks to this guide I have succesfully flash a DE firmware and I can rip 4K and burn blank media.

Is it possible to crossflash these drives to enable scanning of burned bluray? (Qpxtools or Opti Drive Control).

Could this change possibly break the possibility of burning new discs?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

PrimoAngelo wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:27 am
I have an LG BE16NU50 and LG BH16NS55 drives. Thanks to this guide I have succesfully flash a DE firmware and I can rip 4K and burn blank media.

Is it possible to crossflash these drives to enable scanning of burned bluray? (Qpxtools or Opti Drive Control).

I have no idea. What are these tools used for? and Why would you want to?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
PrimoAngelo

Post by PrimoAngelo »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:17 am
PrimoAngelo wrote:

To be able to make qualitative scans of my burns and compare them over time (BIS/LDC/Jitter)
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

PrimoAngelo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:24 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:17 am
PrimoAngelo wrote:

To be able to make qualitative scans of my burns and compare them over time (BIS/LDC/Jitter)
Do these tools need a particular drive model or firmware to work?
TedBops

Post by TedBops »

I have just bought a 'new' Asus BW-16D1HT drive which was slightly cheaper as 'open box'. The firmware version shown on the label is 1.01 and it shows manufacture on 31/08/2015 so it's not new at all although in new condition as far as I can see. I installed it in my Windows 10 PC.
I tried to read a UHD disc but it didn't work but MakeMKV under LibreDrive Information says it is possible with a patched firmware update. So I downloaded thr modified Asus Flasher and firmwares, unzipped these into the same folder and ran the Flasher. I selected manually the DE_ASUS_BW-160D1HT_3.02 firmware for this drive but it keeps popping up a window telling me 'Your optical drive firmware is up to date'.
Is the drive I was sent too old. If so I'll send it back for a brand new one or am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

TedBops wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:57 pm
I have just bought a 'new' Asus BW-16D1HT drive which was slightly cheaper as 'open box'. The firmware version shown on the label is 1.01 and it shows manufacture on 31/08/2015 so it's not new at all although in new condition as far as I can see. I installed it in my Windows 10 PC.
I tried to read a UHD disc but it didn't work but MakeMKV under LibreDrive Information says it is possible with a patched firmware update. So I downloaded thr modified Asus Flasher and firmwares, unzipped these into the same folder and ran the Flasher. I selected manually the DE_ASUS_BW-160D1HT_3.02 firmware for this drive but it keeps popping up a window telling me 'Your optical drive firmware is up to date'.
Is the drive I was sent too old. If so I'll send it back for a brand new one or am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
Stop trying to flash it and READ this whole thread:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... ant#p72248

Applies to your case as well. Before you end up with a brick. There are hundreds of additional discussions on this topic already throughout the forum including this instructional sticky post:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634

Forum search function works, use it. It will help you save yourself headaches.
TedBops

Post by TedBops »

Apologies for being a newbie but I expected to get a new drive. Fortunately, it still works so I have already arranged a refund and return. I will source a new one from elsewhere and try to check that it is firmware 3.01 or above before I do anything. I'll also make sure I read everything possible on this thread.
Thanks
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

TedBops wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:55 pm
Apologies for being a newbie but I expected to get a new drive. Fortunately, it still works so I have already arranged a refund and return. I will source a new one from elsewhere and try to check that it is firmware 3.01 or above before I do anything. I'll also make sure I read everything possible on this thread.
Thanks
Yep, simply put, that drive is too old. I'm pretty sure that the UHD friendly models started being produced around October 2015 and the initial firmware was 3.00.

Return it for a new one!!
kitkimes

Post by kitkimes »

Hi Marty,

I followed these instructions:

>>Here is the link to the modified ASUS FW Flasher + Downgrade Enabled Firmware + the latest MK firmware pack:
>>
>>https://www.mediafire.com/file/rd1445ae ... 9.zip/file

I ran the flasher and chose the v3.02 firmware for my ASUS BW-16D1HT and got an error message: "Updating Failure #4".

Is there something I can do to get around this problem or am I doomed to stay on v3.03. (not BD rippable)?

Kit Kimes
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

kitkimes wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:18 am
Hi Marty,

I followed these instructions:

>>Here is the link to the modified ASUS FW Flasher + Downgrade Enabled Firmware + the latest MK firmware pack:
>>
>>https://www.mediafire.com/file/rd1445ae ... 9.zip/file

I ran the flasher and chose the v3.02 firmware for my ASUS BW-16D1HT and got an error message: "Updating Failure #4".

Is there something I can do to get around this problem or am I doomed to stay on v3.03. (not BD rippable)?

Kit Kimes
A few questions:

1. How is your drive connected to PC?
2. What OS are you using?
3. How old is your drive?
4. Are you sure it came with firmware 3.03 (and not 3.10)?
kitkimes

Post by kitkimes »

Hi Marty,

You ask:

A few questions:

1. How is your drive connected to PC?
2. What OS are you using?
3. How old is your drive?
4. Are you sure it came with firmware 3.03 (and not 3.10)?

I has a desktop tower with the ASUS mounted in a bay and connected to the MB with a SATA cable. I am running Win7 OS. I bought this drive early this year to replace an old one that went bad. As for the firmware, 3.03 is what MakeMKV displays so I believe that that is the firmware version on the drive.

Thanks,

KIt