UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Billycar11
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by Billycar11 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:50 pm

ik_ei wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:38 am
Hi,

Sorry if this is a dumb question where can i find the BU40N 1.00 firmware for the archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD?

thanks!
In mine or Marty's firmware pack linked in the pinned uhd guide
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto self flash kit Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com

RobbieT1974
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 31, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by RobbieT1974 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:10 pm

I have just received my Archgon MD-8107S-U3YS-UHDB drive.

Out of the box it came with firmware 1.01.

Sticking to what was said here: "If it came with 1.01, install DE BU40N 1.00,
else install BU40N 1.02-MK or BU40N 1.03-MK. (then if you want to, you can downgrade to 1.00)" I have flashed it with 1.00.

Works like a charm.

The only remark I have is that it never finished the progress bar during flashing.
The progress bar went to about 90% and then stopped, even after 10 minutes no change.

So I then decided to put in a disc and start MakeMKV to see if it was back awake and properly flashed.
That worked fine.

A bit odd that it doesn't finish the progress bar, I guess something like the drive not reporting back to the updater that the update was processed succesfully.

I think testing if it was back alive before stopping the updater by putting a disc in was a safe thing to do.

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 1189
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by MartyMcNuts » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:09 am

RobbieT1974 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:10 pm
I have just received my Archgon MD-8107S-U3YS-UHDB drive.

Out of the box it came with firmware 1.01.

Sticking to what was said here: "If it came with 1.01, install DE BU40N 1.00,
else install BU40N 1.02-MK or BU40N 1.03-MK. (then if you want to, you can downgrade to 1.00)" I have flashed it with 1.00.

Works like a charm.

The only remark I have is that it never finished the progress bar during flashing.
The progress bar went to about 90% and then stopped, even after 10 minutes no change.

So I then decided to put in a disc and start MakeMKV to see if it was back awake and properly flashed.
That worked fine.

A bit odd that it doesn't finish the progress bar, I guess something like the drive not reporting back to the updater that the update was processed succesfully.

I think testing if it was back alive before stopping the updater by putting a disc in was a safe thing to do.
Glad you got it sorted. They are a very nice drive!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD capable drives in AUS & NZ: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747

Aaron35
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:37 pm

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by Aaron35 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:01 pm

I bought this drive. It had 1.01 firmware so I used to the tool to go to 1.00. It worked, however, I had a similar experience. The progress bar never completed. It went almost all the way to the end (about half a bar from completion) then stopped. I waited about ten minutes then noticed previous posts discussing similar experiences. I reopened MakeMkv and placed in a disc and it read the disc. I haven't tried to rip anything or play anything but the firmware flasher appear to work so far.

mrdrummond
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by mrdrummond » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:11 pm

Just bought one of these drives second disk i put in, it destroyed. Ripped the surface off of it. Looked inside the drive and the dust from the surface was on the edge near the laser lens. Im assuming it has a manufacturing flaw. Really disappointed in this.

Billycar11
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by Billycar11 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:09 pm

mrdrummond wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:11 pm
Just bought one of these drives second disk i put in, it destroyed. Ripped the surface off of it. Looked inside the drive and the dust from the surface was on the edge near the laser lens. Im assuming it has a manufacturing flaw. Really disappointed in this.
I have only ever see a BU40N do that if it was moved while ripping
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto self flash kit Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com

mrdrummond
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by mrdrummond » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:01 am

Fair reply but no it was sitting alone on the desk.

Billycar11
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by Billycar11 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:16 am

mrdrummond wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:01 am
Fair reply but no it was sitting alone on the desk.
The laser does have the ability to move up and down I guess yours moved to far up might be best to get a replacement and see if LG will do anything about your disc but I don't think they will
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto self flash kit Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com

mrdrummond
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by mrdrummond » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:19 pm

i bought the drive from amazon and they bought me a new disk and offered a refund on the drive (wouldnt replace it so i had to rebuy it). So overall pretty good service by amazon i think. (i didnt even buy the 4k from them it came from JB (another retailer))

1nky2000
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:09 pm

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by 1nky2000 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:15 pm

I recently bought this drive from Amazon UK. IT arrived with revision 1.01, but flashed via USB with the modified ASUS flasher and file DE_LG_BU40N_1.00 in windows.

As per others experiences the progress bar only progressed to 90% in about 10 seconds, but never finished.I left it ten minutes just to make sure, then I popped a disc in and started MakeMKV and it seemed to be working FINE with 1.00 firmware now installed as per others previous experiences.

I just wanted to take the time to thank others for their effort in making LibreDrive, as well as MakeMKV and other members for their contributions taking the time to report back thanks so MUCH! :P :o

truthy
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:49 pm

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by truthy » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:05 pm

Hello, I just ordered this drive via Amazon Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (MD-8107S-U3YC-UHDB-S). It's not here yet, but I already have a question regarding which firmware to flash. As far as I've read here, it is recommended to use DE_LG_BU40N_1.00.bin. However I would like to use the MK-Firmware. Can anyone confirm that
BU40N-N-Main\HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.04-NM00500-212005061142
is the newest correct one? In the GOT UHD thread someone used HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 1189
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by MartyMcNuts » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:38 pm

truthy wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:05 pm
Hello, I just ordered this drive via Amazon Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (MD-8107S-U3YC-UHDB-S). It's not here yet, but I already have a question regarding which firmware to flash. As far as I've read here, it is recommended to use DE_LG_BU40N_1.00.bin. However I would like to use the MK-Firmware. Can anyone confirm that
BU40N-N-Main\HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.04-NM00500-212005061142
is the newest correct one? In the GOT UHD thread someone used HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934
Why use the MK firmware? 1.00 is still libredrive enabled with no firmware changes. It also has wider range of software compatibility.
If you really want to use the MK firmware, go with 1.03 MK. Do not use 1.04 as it is garbage.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD capable drives in AUS & NZ: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747

SamuriHL
Posts: 1775
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by SamuriHL » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:44 pm

1.00 is the way to go. Mine came with 1.01 and I still downgraded it to 1.00.

truthy
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:49 pm

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by truthy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:58 am

@MartyMcNuts/SamuriHL
Thx. If there is no advantage with 1.03 MK, I'll stick with 1.00.

telex
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:02 pm

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by telex » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:46 am

which is the right firmware for MD-8107S-U3YC-UHDB-S ?

HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-U100-3M01801-211910161036.bin
or
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.01-RM00000-211712221221.bin
or
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-U101-MM01201-211711301153.bin
or
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.01-RM01801-211910161032.bin

I cant see a "1.00" ....

Post Reply