Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MartyMcNuts

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2021

Post by MartyMcNuts »

zittrig wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:41 am
Thanks for answer. :)

With the flashing tool: "Command produced error code 0x8f056103"

Tried the 1.03MK and the 1.04MK, both enc and without.

Read the actual firmware without any problems.
I'm wondering if it is the enclosure you have that is not passing the full commands through to the drive??

Can you try another enclosure or better yet, connect the drive via SATA or USB directly? (You would need a slim SATA adapter to do this)
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
zittrig

Post by zittrig »

Hmm, what do you mean, directly?
It's an USB-drive, connected to 3.0.
I can try another port.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

zittrig wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:40 am
Hmm, what do you mean, directly?
It's an USB-drive, connected to 3.0.
I can try another port.
Well, what would normally happen is the enclosure that the drive is in receives the flashing commands from the flasher and passes them through to the drive itself. Now, not all enclosures are "flashing compatible" so I am wondering if the enclosure your drive is in is not passing through the commands properly...

Q1. Are you able to remove the drive from the enclosure?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
zittrig

Post by zittrig »

Aah, ok, now I've unterstood!

Ok, I've changed my way to rip 4K Blu-ray and bought a drive from ASMCOM. So I can sell my drive without opening the enclosure before.

But thank you very much for your support!!! :)
Cynyster

Post by Cynyster »

Hello, I am interested in your remote flashing service.

While not computer stupid, I think it would be a better for me to see it done once.
I have read the requirements and I think my drive meets them. Here is the info from MakeMKV INFO(licensed version)
The drive is a Archgon MD-8107-U3 branded drive

Drive Information
OS device name: G:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.01
Serial number: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Firmware date: 2117-12-22 12:21
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 70

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.01
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

Please let me know if you are interested and how I should proceed.

Thank you.

========EDIT================
After viewing a video by "TroyPoint" I decided to give updating the firmware myself a try.
Using the "The all you need firmware pack" and "sdftool_flasher"
First I created a backup (from within the tool)
The I tried to flash and it said it failed...
I immediately tried to recover... and that failed too.
Restarting MakeMKV.... it showed that the firmware was patched (yeah!)
and I just tested it by ripping Alita Battle Angel 4k (the drive would not read the disk prior)

MakeMKV info now shows
Drive Information
OS device name: G:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: **************
Firmware date: 2118-10-24 19:34
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 70

LibreDrive Information
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
Last edited by Cynyster on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cerus

Post by Cerus »

Just wanted to verify that I did everything correctly when flashing my LG WH16NS40 that came with 1.05. Read tons of posts, watched the HAXOR v2 video and was still kinda confused.

So I took the easier way and used the sdftool_flasher and the mk-firmware-pack-20200720.

Ran the tool and flashed to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS40-NS50-1.05-NM00900-212005061440 from the "HL-DT-ST" folder with the enc option checked (after forgetting to click it the first time)

Then flashed to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936 from the "old" folder without enc checked.

No errors and drive seems to be working fine. Is 1.02 still the best firmware to be on or should I flash to the DE 1.00 or MK 1.01? I only use MakeMKV for ripping.

MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Cerus wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:42 pm
Just wanted to verify that I did everything correctly when flashing my LG WH16NS40 that came with 1.05. Read tons of posts, watched the HAXOR v2 video and was still kinda confused.

So I took the easier way and used the sdftool_flasher and the mk-firmware-pack-20200720.

Ran the tool and flashed to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS40-NS50-1.05-NM00900-212005061440 from the "HL-DT-ST" folder with the enc option checked (after forgetting to click it the first time)

Then flashed to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936 from the "old" folder without enc checked.

No errors and drive seems to be working fine. Is 1.02 still the best firmware to be on or should I flash to the DE 1.00 or MK 1.01? I only use MakeMKV for ripping.

All good. Enjoy!!
CoooL

Post by CoooL »

Just bought a drive from the list an flashed it.. VERY easy!
Thankyou so much for all the work done here to everyone involved!
fly_scuba

Post by fly_scuba »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:57 pm
Cerus wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:42 pm

All good. Enjoy!!
I just used this method for my drive WH16SN40 and these instructions were easy and effective. I'm a noob, but this made it so easy!! I am now ripping "Angel has Fallen" from the 4K UHD disk. Thanks to all you guys for your contributions here!
jmaster167

Post by jmaster167 »

I'm interested in a remote flash. I flashed a HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 (not SVC NS50) to a driver from LGs website that required NS50.....found the forum while searching how to undo it, and realized my error. Spent a couple hours watching the youtube posts, and unsuccessfully trying to load the bootable windows from one of the youtube vids [got it installed on the USB, but my comp wouldn't load it from the boot menu], and decided I need some help.

My original firmware was 1.01 (on the label), and it could not read blu ray. Updated to latest firmware (dumb/stupid/idiot) to be able to read blu ray, and now it reads nothing.

Would greatly appreciate some outside help. Thanks,
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jmaster167 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:11 pm
I'm interested in a remote flash. I flashed a HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 (not SVC NS50) to a driver from LGs website that required NS50.....found the forum while searching how to undo it, and realized my error. Spent a couple hours watching the youtube posts, and unsuccessfully trying to load the bootable windows from one of the youtube vids [got it installed on the USB, but my comp wouldn't load it from the boot menu], and decided I need some help.

My original firmware was 1.01 (on the label), and it could not read blu ray. Updated to latest firmware (dumb/stupid/idiot) to be able to read blu ray, and now it reads nothing.

Would greatly appreciate some outside help. Thanks,
There is no remote flash option for this issue.

You need to use the old dosflash method to recover your drive. To use dosflash, your PC must be able to be switched to IDE mode in the bios and the drive must be connected to SATA port 0 or 1 of the motherboard.

Otherwise, might be time to get a new drive!
phyco88

Post by phyco88 »

THIS GUIDE WAS GREAT!!

Super easy and had me ripping my 4k UHD Blu Rays in 5 minutes.

Some of these guys are selling pre-flashed drives with a $55 markup. I guess I cant knock the hustle but there is literally no work involved, MakeMKV gives you all the info you need about your drive and you literally run two commands. I'm in the bay area and central computers stocks most of the supported Blu-ray drives, enclosures and adapters you need.

THANK YOU MAKEMKV FOR AN AMAZING PRODUCT + EASY & CLEAR GUIDES!!
dooferorg

Post by dooferorg »

Can confirm the flash files and instructions were *ace* for the LG WH16NS60 I recently got. :D

Firmware on original drive was 1.03, SVC NS60 and drive platform MT1959.

Flashed and is extracting a UHD movie disc right now.

Thanks!
mm8718

Post by mm8718 »

Hi

I have the Asus BW 16D1HT and flashed it some time ago to 3.10 and i can see MKV recognising it as patched.

However for the last week or so it w ill just refuse to read any discs. last week i was able to copy Tenet in UHT and Solo a Sar Wars story - but i have tired 3 different UD disks recently Back to the future trilogy and a 1080p BluRay of Irishman but with no luck. Windows itself refuses to acknowledge the disc. The drive works and i can hear the disc spinning but it just does not register.

Has any one else seen this? I had failures before but this is 4 discs in a row!!!

Thanks

Here's is my drive info:

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number: KLLK3TB0450
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

phyco88 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:32 am
THIS GUIDE WAS GREAT!!

Super easy and had me ripping my 4k UHD Blu Rays in 5 minutes.

Some of these guys are selling pre-flashed drives with a $55 markup. I guess I cant knock the hustle but there is literally no work involved, MakeMKV gives you all the info you need about your drive and you literally run two commands. I'm in the bay area and central computers stocks most of the supported Blu-ray drives, enclosures and adapters you need.

THANK YOU MAKEMKV FOR AN AMAZING PRODUCT + EASY & CLEAR GUIDES!!
You should remember, it's just not the cost of the drive. There are also packaging & postage costs (sometimes twice) plus an hour of time for flashing and testing purposes.