Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
SamuriHL

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Guide Updated 2020

Post by SamuriHL »

I'm aware but if you don't put up the no trespassing signs, people use it as an excuse to f*** up their s***. :D
icourt

Post by icourt »

Fortunately there are people around who see the fixing of the mistakes of others as a challenge, right? :)

Whether it’s people erroneously updating the firmware, or buying a drive that’s already been updated.

Or if it’s the drive manufacturers themselves, putting out badly broken firmware updates... ;)

A successful result is a satisfying one.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Ouch! Icourt for the triple burn ladies and gentlemen, yes, that’s Icourt!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
icourt

Post by icourt »

Yep, that’s me! :lol:
filmgeek47

Post by filmgeek47 »

Hey guys,
If I have a drive that ships with official UHD firmware (ie. bu40N) and I flash it for ripping purposes, will it still work with official disc playback on a PC via powerDVD, or would I need to flash it back to the official firmware?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

filmgeek47 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:42 pm
Hey guys,
If I have a drive that ships with official UHD firmware (ie. bu40N) and I flash it for ripping purposes, will it still work with official disc playback on a PC via powerDVD, or would I need to flash it back to the official firmware?
It will still work
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Fearless Leader

Post by Fearless Leader »

Holy crap!

I know this is anecdotal evidence and isn't proof of anything, but I post this in case it helps someone else.

I bought Avengers Endgame UHD right when it came out. It never successfully ripped. I can play the disc on a standalone player. Yes, makemkv could open it and start ripping it, but eventually it would come to a sector that the drive couldn't read. Re-running it many times showed no progress. So I just assumed bad disc, and ripped the blu-ray version instead, which worked fine.

As more versions of makemkv came out, I would sometimes re-try the Endgame UHD. Never worked.
Last night, I tried to re-rip Frozen II to try various things to deal with atmos problem (even with lastest makemkv, there is still a problem to be solved...but that is not the point here). Frozen II suddenly showed a sector that couldn't be read. This made me think the drive was failing, because it would be unlikely for a new disc like that to go bad (considering I handle my discs carefully). I re-tried a few times, still didn't work.

I started thinking the drive is failing. If was dying, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try cross-flashing to LG to overcome the sleep bug with my Asus.
After a successful flash, suddenly Frozen II ripped without the read sector problem. On a lark, I decided to try Endgame again. Holy crap, it worked this time!

Again, this is not evidence or proof of anything. It possible I just got really really lucky this time. But I feel like it helped me. Maybe it could help someone else.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

UHD is picky. That's why I keep 1 ASUS and 1 LG drive on hand. The NS60 has been the most stable drive for me but there are those oddball discs that can only be read in the ASUS from time to time. Highly annoying.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I posted this just a few minutes ago in another forum.

I have two LG BH16NS55. One flashed to ASUS 3.10MK, the other to 3.02.
3.10 rips fast. 3.02 stays longer at low read speeds if errors occur and was therefore succesful when 3.10 would fail.

Always clean problematic discs with liquid soap and water and wipe with a microfiber cloth. The last is what SamuriHL is always recommending. If it's enough then OK. If not, wash them like I do.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Coopervid wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:32 pm
3.02 stays longer at low read speeds if errors occur and was therefore succesful when 3.10 would fail.
1.15.2 has (would have once released) speed control feature that, among other things, would put the drive to the lowest speed in case of read errors and put back to maximum (possibly above riplock) once reading stabilizes.
This worked exceptionally well on all drives that I have.
Just a teaser... :)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mike admin wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:00 pm
1.15.2 has (would have once released) speed control feature that, among other things, would put the drive to the lowest speed in case of read errors and put back to maximum (possibly above riplock) once reading stabilizes.
This worked exceptionally well on all drives that I have.
Just a teaser... :)
Stop teasing and get to it. Chop chop! LMAO :D :D :D
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Mike you surely have some sadistic humor torturing us with these teasers. :D
azeili

Post by azeili »

Hello

You offered to support UHD Drive firmware downgrade by remote session.
I would be delighted if you can help me with my WH16NS60 with current firmware version 1.03.

When I try to flash I get an checksum mismatch error. In my BIOS I cannot switch SATA configuration to IDE.

Many thanks in advance for your support, azeili
RedRaptor

Post by RedRaptor »

Could use a hand, tried to sideflash my lg wh16ns40 1.04 to the firmware that the guide says and got error #4. Did i read the guide wrong and this is unflashable?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

RedRaptor wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:10 pm
Could use a hand, tried to sideflash my lg wh16ns40 1.04 to the firmware that the guide says and got error #4. Did i read the guide wrong and this is unflashable?
you read it wrong read the newer oem firmware section
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com