Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
bobby121418

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2020

Post by bobby121418 »

Hi,
I am looking to get a slim drive to flash myself. I was going to get LG BP60NB10 but it is now out of stock. Which other would the experts recommend?
Thanks
jonghotti

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2020

Post by jonghotti »

bobby121418 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:55 am
Hi,
I am looking to get a slim drive to flash myself. I was going to get LG BP60NB10 but it is now out of stock. Which other would the experts recommend?
Thanks
LG BU40N with Vantec enclosure
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Olds69Hrst

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2021

Post by Olds69Hrst »

I'm running into the following error when trying to flash my drive (WH14NS40 SVC CODE:NS50)

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> cd..
PS C:\WINDOWS> cd..
PS C:\> cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV"
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV> .\makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -d E: rawflash enc -i C:\Users\Ed\Desktop\WH16NS60-1.02.bin
C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\makemkvcon64.exe: unrecognized option `--all-yes'
Use: makemkvcon [switches] Command [Parameters]

Commands:
info <source>
prints info about disc
mkv <source> <title id> <destination folder>
saves a single title to mkv file
backup <source> <destination folder>
backs up disc to a hard drive

Source specification:
iso:<FileName> - open iso image <FileName>
file:<FolderName> - open files in folder <FolderName>

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
disc:<DiscId> - open disc with id <DiscId> (see list Command)
dev:<DeviceName> - open disc with OS device name <DeviceName>

Switches:
-r --robot - turn on "robot" mode, see http://www.makemkv.com/developers
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV>
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Olds69Hrst wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:45 am
I'm running into the following error when trying to flash my drive (WH14NS40 SVC CODE:NS50)

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> cd..
PS C:\WINDOWS> cd..
PS C:\> cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV"
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV> .\makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -d E: rawflash enc -i C:\Users\Ed\Desktop\WH16NS60-1.02.bin
C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\makemkvcon64.exe: unrecognized option `--all-yes'
Use: makemkvcon [switches] Command [Parameters]

Commands:
info <source>
prints info about disc
mkv <source> <title id> <destination folder>
saves a single title to mkv file
backup <source> <destination folder>
backs up disc to a hard drive

Source specification:
iso:<FileName> - open iso image <FileName>
file:<FolderName> - open files in folder <FolderName>

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
disc:<DiscId> - open disc with id <DiscId> (see list Command)
dev:<DeviceName> - open disc with OS device name <DeviceName>

Switches:
-r --robot - turn on "robot" mode, see http://www.makemkv.com/developers
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV>
1. Make sure you have at least MakeMKV version 1.15.1. The newer the better.
2. Use sdftool.exe instead of makemkvcon.exe

The rest of your command looks fine.

You could always use my SDFtool Flasher GUI. https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=22896
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
jesperb

Post by jesperb »

Dear All.

First of all, thank you so much for this thread. It is sad that we have to work so hard to backup our legally obtained movies but here we are.

I'm looking for an external drive with which to backup UHD movies (and Blurays and DVDs but that not as much of a problem) and I have been going through the list at the top of the thread but finding a drive and an enclosure in Sweden has been a bit problematic.

I did find the ASUS BW-16D1H-U PRO but as an external drive, not the internal version that is listed here and I'm wondering if you know if this would work.

It looks like this:

Article number: 90DD01L0-M69000

I cannot see a firmware version as the shops typically do not list them.

I have also contacted Alex about a pre-flashed version but he understandably has a lot to do and if I could get something myself that would make it easier than international shipping.

I also found the LG BU40N but not the only slim enclosure that is recommended here.

Thank you all again
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

jesperb wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:08 pm
I did find the ASUS BW-16D1H-U PRO but as an external drive, not the internal version that is listed here and I'm wondering if you know if this would work.
Short answer: No, it won't.

Longer answer: This is not a UHD-capable drive. It works fine from lesser things, but not UHD.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jesperb

Post by jesperb »

Thank you so much. I'm a bit confused as some drives that are not marked UHD can still be used, but maybe there is a way to tell that I have not figured out.

Nevertheless, I found that I could import the Buffalo BRUHD-PU3-BK UHD BD from Germany and that one should be flashable *fingers crossed*.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

jesperb wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:51 pm
Thank you so much. I'm a bit confused as some drives that are not marked UHD can still be used, but maybe there is a way to tell that I have not figured out.

Nevertheless, I found that I could import the Buffalo BRUHD-PU3-BK UHD BD from Germany and that one should be flashable *fingers crossed*.
Of course, you could remove all doubt... Drives for sale, Flashing Services, where to buy...
ZmYkR

Post by ZmYkR »

Hey people.
I'm new to all this, so I have a few questions if you don't mind.

So first of all I checked which drives from the recommended list are available for me at a good price. Turns out there are 3 that I can get at pretty much the same price new.
LG BH16NS55
ASUS BW-16D1HT
LG BU40N
There is no “Best Drive” They are all made by LG and rebranded the drives just fit different use cases.
I get that, but can you tell me what the differences are between these drives (other than the BU40N being slim)?
I'd like to use my drive in an external enclosure, so the BU40N would be nice for that. But is it slower than the big boys, or worse in any other way?

Does it matter what enclosure I use? I understand that the Vantec ones are recommended here, but they don't seem to be available in the EU. What are other options, are there enclosures that straight up do not work, or would they just be slower or something like that?

If I buy one of the mentioned drives, I'll be guaranteed to get it working if I do everything right, or are there drives/versions of these drives, that can not be made suitable?

That's all for now. Thanks :)
kichilron

Post by kichilron »

hej everyone,
I have been using MakeMKV for a while now and just bought it as well. Though I never tried UHD disks, I would love to now that LOTR came out on 4K.

I have an ASUS BC-12D2HT and heard it's possible to flash it to be UHD Friendly. I can't make much of the tutorials provided.
Which is why I wanted to ask if anyone offers remote flashing (am willing to pay via PayPal)?

I don't have permission to PM anyone yet, as I'm new to the forum as it seems.

Would be glad about any replies, thank you.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

ZmYkR wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:26 pm
Hey people.
I'm new to all this, so I have a few questions if you don't mind.

So first of all I checked which drives from the recommended list are available for me at a good price. Turns out there are 3 that I can get at pretty much the same price new.
LG BH16NS55
ASUS BW-16D1HT
LG BU40N
There is no “Best Drive” They are all made by LG and rebranded the drives just fit different use cases.
I get that, but can you tell me what the differences are between these drives (other than the BU40N being slim)?
I'd like to use my drive in an external enclosure, so the BU40N would be nice for that. But is it slower than the big boys, or worse in any other way?

Does it matter what enclosure I use? I understand that the Vantec ones are recommended here, but they don't seem to be available in the EU. What are other options, are there enclosures that straight up do not work, or would they just be slower or something like that?

If I buy one of the mentioned drives, I'll be guaranteed to get it working if I do everything right, or are there drives/versions of these drives, that can not be made suitable?

That's all for now. Thanks :)
Anything works for Makemkv. If you want to use AnyDVD as well you will have to get one of the full size drives. No slim.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

kichilron wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:42 pm
hej everyone,
I have been using MakeMKV for a while now and just bought it as well. Though I never tried UHD disks, I would love to now that LOTR came out on 4K.

I have an ASUS BC-12D2HT and heard it's possible to flash it to be UHD Friendly. I can't make much of the tutorials provided.
Which is why I wanted to ask if anyone offers remote flashing (am willing to pay via PayPal)?

The vendors like Billycar offer remote flashing. Check here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

kichilron wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:42 pm
hej everyone,

I can help as well my contact info in my signature thank you.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
myklj

Post by myklj »

The SDFtool Flasher worked great! I downgraded my LG WH16NS40 from 1.03 to 1.02. The new results show it now as WH16NS60 at 1.02 (no longer S40). Looking at the video it shows using a MK bin file. I did not find that MK file but I seen an update previous (pg 10 - 2/7/20) where he recommends:
"flash HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin and be done with it, you fix not being able to downgrade, you get faster ripping and no sleep bug."
I did find that file! It ran all ran well. The MakeMKV immediately recognized ID changes but Win Device Mgr had to be rescanned a few times to catch it.
Great tools...Thanks!
Samazar

Post by Samazar »

From the recommended drives in the OP, is there one now that is reliable and super fast - I guess speed is an advantage.

I'm an Apple user, is the Mac version of Make MKV just as good as the windows version. If not, I suppose I could look into a used windows laptop.

How long does it take to RIP one disc (2k and 4K)?