Pioneer BDR-212DBK, works for rip UHD discs?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
ziggyspider

Pioneer BDR-212DBK, works for rip UHD discs?

Post by ziggyspider »

A friend has a BDR-212DBK for sale just for $17 bucks, they used a couple of times and never used anymore.

Works for UHD discs? now with Libre...
Coopervid

Re: Pioneer BDR-212DBK, works for rip UHD discs?

Post by Coopervid »

Let him run makemkv and it will tell if the drive is supposed to be ever supported by LibreDrive. I doubt it...

On the other side: Pioneer drives are very good burners. If you want to backup discs on discs this is the burner to go for. But most likely you need a different drive to read UHD discs.

Good luck!
ziggyspider

Post by ziggyspider »

Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:16 pm
Let him run makemkv and it will tell if the drive is supposed to be ever supported by LibreDrive. I doubt it...

On the other side: Pioneer drives are very good burners. If you want to backup discs on discs this is the burner to go for. But most likely you need a different drive to read UHD discs.

Good luck!
thank you!
BlueMac77

Post by BlueMac77 »

ziggyspider wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:40 pm
A friend has a BDR-212DBK for sale just for $17 bucks, they used a couple of times and never used anymore.

Works for UHD discs? now with Libre...
As far as I know Pioneer BD Drives like the BDR-212UBK does not support 4K UHD ripping and may not yet be LibreDrive enabled. This was mentioned by the developer and I have the older model, Pioneer BDR-211UBK and this drive cannot rip 4K UHD via MakeMKV. Though Pioneer is excellent in ripping standard blu-rays using MakeMKV. I rarely get error reads with Pioneer drives on blu-ray ripping and Pioneer drives are usually durable. Maybe verify with your friend on the model BDR-212UBK at $17. The brand new BDR-212UBK sells for $139+ if your friend is actually selling it at $17

https://www.newegg.com/pioneer-bdr-212u ... 6827129081

ziggyspider

Post by ziggyspider »

my friend item is this exactly this: https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA ... BDR-212DBK

don't say anything about ultrahd on white on the front, is pure black on the front.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Let him run makemkv and look at the result what it says about the drive. At $17 I guess it's a DVD drive and not a BD / UHD drive.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Coopervid wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:40 pm
Let him run makemkv and look at the result what it says about the drive. At $17 I guess it's a DVD drive and not a BD / UHD drive.
The BDR-212DBK is a standard BD/DVD/CD Writer. It doesn't work for UHD.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
GrampaD

Post by GrampaD »

Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:16 pm
... Pioneer drives are very good burners. If you want to backup discs on discs this is the burner to go for.
Good luck!
...Yep. My brand new Pioneer UHD4K drive is a REALLY good burner. Can burn 100GB discs all day. Just can't rip discs. But - why do I need it when I have a 24 TERABYTE data puddle? It's a really good paperweight. But not a brick. Sigh, I'm an idiot. LOL