ASUS BW-16D1HT - MakeMKV fails to get the audio track (sometimes)

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Surfal666

ASUS BW-16D1HT - MakeMKV fails to get the audio track (sometimes)

Post by Surfal666 »

I've got a brand new ASUS BW-16D1HT. It came with the 3.10 firmware so I flashed it to 3.10MK from the latest driver pack.

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number: XXX
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 65

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled
After that, I grabbed a couple discs that needed ripping (Along with the Gods:The Two Worlds- BD and Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days - BD) and everything seemed to go fine, until I went to actually play (VLC) the newly minted mkvs. There was no audio in any of the tracks ripped from either disc. VLC codec info didn't show any audio tracks. Mediainfo and ffmpeg reported the same. I had already closed MakeMKV so I don't have copies of those logs. I put the discs back into the drive and was able to play them back with Leawo Blu-Ray player without issue.

So I grabbed more discs:

FMW Total Carnage - audio is fine

MakeMKV v1.14.7 win(x64-release) started
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10' at offset '1048576'
Using direct disc access mode
Using LibreDrive mode (v05 id=0FA242DD4D0B)
Complex multiplex encountered - 15 cells and 7212 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #1 was added (15 cell(s), 1:52:00)
Title #2 has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #3 has length of 6 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #5 has length of 70 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #6 has length of 71 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Complex multiplex encountered - 1 cells and 160 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #7 was added (1 cell(s), 0:02:28)
Complex multiplex encountered - 1 cells and 474 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #8 was added (1 cell(s), 0:07:22)
Complex multiplex encountered - 1 cells and 194 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #9 was added (1 cell(s), 0:03:00)
Title #10 has length of 106 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #11 has length of 95 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
Saving 4 titles into directory E:/Data/DVD/TOTAL_CARNAGE
4 titles saved
Stacy - no audio (Japanese Zombie horror/comedy - highly recommended!)

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10' at offset '1048576'
Title #1 has length of 21 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 was added (17 cell(s), 1:20:04)
Title #3 was added (17 cell(s), 1:20:04)
Title #4 was added (2 cell(s), 0:02:00)
Title #5 was added (2 cell(s), 0:02:00)
Title 2 in VTS 2 is equal to title 1 and was skipped
Title 2 in VTS 3 is equal to title 1 and was skipped
Saving 2 titles into directory E:/Data/DVD/STACY
2 titles saved
God of Gamblers - no audio

Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Title #00003.mpls has length of 28 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00001.mpls was added as title #0
Title #00005.m2ts has length of 28 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00004.m2ts was added as title #1
Title #00006.m2ts has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00000.m2ts has length of 40 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Saving 2 titles into directory E:/Data/DVD/God Of Gamblers
AV synchronization issues were found in file 'God Of Gamblers_t00.mkv' (title #1)
Forced subtitles track #2 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
2 titles saved
Is there a way to get more information about what's going wrong here? Does this match any know failure modes? I tried google and searching the forums but it was not helpful.
Woodstock

Re: ASUS BW-16D1HT - MakeMKV fails to get the audio track (sometimes)

Post by Woodstock »

Do you have a preferred language set? If so, MakeMKV will ignore audio and subtitle tracks that are NOT in that language.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

until I went to actually play (VLC) the newly minted mkvs. There was no audio in any of the tracks ripped from either disc.
Always check (expand the title selection) what tracks are selected, maybe the wrong one, maybe some not, maybe some are not needed, maybe some has "no language" set ....
Good Luck :)

Post by Surfal666 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:02 pm
Do you have a preferred language set? If so, MakeMKV will ignore audio and subtitle tracks that are NOT in that language.
Well nuts! That was the problem, or should I say PEBKAC...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I actually don't consider this a PEBKAC - it's an under-documented side effect of the setting. I tripped over it early on, which is why I remember it.

I've also changed my methodology to select ALL audio/subtitle tracks, partly because some sources do not properly set language names. I sort the selections out later, when I run things through handbrake.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging