BH16NS55 X-flashed to Asus. Writing BDs

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
dlbogdan

BH16NS55 X-flashed to Asus. Writing BDs

Post by dlbogdan »

Hello,

I've purchased after reading some of the threads here an LG BH16NS55 which came with fw. 1.03.
Crossflashed it in a jiffy to ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02 with the ASUS ODD FW changer modified tool.

Now, the main reason I bought this unit is to archive some very important files (personal pictures, movies and other stuff) on M-DISC Bluray Discs.
Very rarely I will need to backup a bluray movie be it a UHD one or not so I can have it stored on my server.

I've seen mentioned somewhere here that If I need the writing capabilities to be perfect, I need to stay on the Asus 3.02 firmware.
I've read that flashing DE_LG_WH16NS60_1.00 firmware will get rid of the sleep bug, which might bug me rarely if I want to watch a UHD movie and pause from time to time.

So, should I stay on the ASUS FW 3.02 so I will not have any problems writing BD-R, BD-XL media or is the writing ok on LG WH16NS60 1.0 as well ?
Can someone please please clarify this?
Thank you in advance.
MartyMcNuts

Re: BH16NS55 X-flashed to Asus. Writing BDs

Post by MartyMcNuts »

dlbogdan wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:57 pm
Hello,

I've purchased after reading some of the threads here an LG BH16NS55 which came with fw. 1.03.
Crossflashed it in a jiffy to ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02 with the ASUS ODD FW changer modified tool.

Now, the main reason I bought this unit is to archive some very important files (personal pictures, movies and other stuff) on M-DISC Bluray Discs.
Very rarely I will need to backup a bluray movie be it a UHD one or not so I can have it stored on my server.

I've seen mentioned somewhere here that If I need the writing capabilities to be perfect, I need to stay on the Asus 3.02 firmware.
I've read that flashing DE_LG_WH16NS60_1.00 firmware will get rid of the sleep bug, which might bug me rarely if I want to watch a UHD movie and pause from time to time.

So, should I stay on the ASUS FW 3.02 so I will not have any problems writing BD-R, BD-XL media or is the writing ok on LG WH16NS60 1.0 as well ?
Can someone please please clarify this?
Thank you in advance.
I had a BH16NS55 flashed to WH16NS60 1.00 and worked fine for reading and writing. I'm pretty sure the "writing issue" is only when you have an ASUS drive cross-flashed with the WH16NS60 firmware.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:01 am
I had a BH16NS55 flashed to WH16NS60 1.00 and worked fine for reading and writing. I'm pretty sure the "writing issue" is only when you have an ASUS drive cross-flashed with the WH16NS60 firmware.
Correct. A few of us with the NS60 tried crossflashing to the BW-16D1HT firmware and lost the ability to write BD-R and BD-RW discs. Flashing back to LG firmware worked fine. But not everyone ran into that problem.
dlbogdan

Post by dlbogdan »

Thank you.
I’ll try flashing DE_LG_WH16NS60_1.00 and see how writing goes.
dlbogdan

Post by dlbogdan »

Flashed DE_LG_WH16NS60_1.00 with the same app (asus modified updater) and restarted.
Tested ripping Terminator Salvation 4K HDR - works fine
Tested writing on BD-RE SL - works fine
Will test soon with all types of BD blanks (specially MDISC BD-XL and MDISC BD-R DL which I'll use more often)

I'm just going to update here so if anybody else has doubts like I did, this should clear it.
So my unit is sleep bug free, can rip blurays and uhd blurays, and it seems it writes just fine (on one type of blank disc for now)