LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Post Reply
Metallikahn
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:22 pm

LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by Metallikahn » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:45 pm

Trying to decide between these two drives. I've currently got two LG WH16NS40's (F/W 1.00 and 1.02) that I've ripped hundreds of UHD with (at least until I got the latest Star Wars 9 disc set... ugh) I run one drive on a Win 10 pro PC and the other on an unRAID server via linux docker (my primary ripper). In the past, any disc I had trouble on with the unRAID (f/w 1.02) would rip fine on the Windows drive (F/W 1.00) and vice versa. These latest discs are horrible... maybe I just got a REALLY bad set (I've got a replacement set coming tomorrow to try), but maybe these two drives are just too similar and keep hitting similar issues on these disc that a different model wouldn't.

If I were to purchase a third drive, which of the listed two would give me the most compatibility/diversity and best chance of ripping discs the other's struggle with and vice versa? (granted, that's not a very easily quantified stat, but, if you had to round out your drives for maximum compatibility...) :D

Billycar11
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by Billycar11 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:10 pm

BU40N

Metallikahn
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Re: LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by Metallikahn » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Isn't that a slim mount?

Billycar11
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by Billycar11 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:31 pm

Metallikahn wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:28 pm
Isn't that a slim mount?
Yes but it is so much more reliable than the desktop drives I have gotten over 50 defective desktop drives and I just gave up on them not 1 bad bu40n yet. Just get a USB version if your PC has no option for slim sata mount

Metallikahn
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Re: LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by Metallikahn » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:46 pm

Fair enough. The reliability is definitely a plus. I don't want a usb version, however. I don't want all the external wiring and whatnot. Got my server setup and running very well in a nice clean desktop tower (corsair 760t). I assume I could probably get 5.25" slim bay adapter for mounting in my case.

Any other specific benefits to that over the NS60?

Think I'm going to put one of each in my amazon cart and see how things play out over the next week or so. Someone suggested in another thread to to rip my problem discs to ISO first and then extract titles from there and, so far, that seems to be working... F&^%!!!!! Literally errored out as I was typing this!

Guess I'll see if my other drive has better luck, then I might be looking sooner than next week. lol

Edworld
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:50 am

Re: LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by Edworld » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:59 pm

where can i buy the BU40N? Cant find the USB version on amazon

Thanks

Billycar11
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by Billycar11 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:18 pm

Edworld wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:59 pm
where can i buy the BU40N? Cant find the USB version on amazon

Thanks
You put it in a USB case yourself trust me it's worth it

filmgeek47
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:31 am

Re: LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by filmgeek47 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:58 am

I can vouch for him. After a year of using the Bw-16D1HT and running into a handful of discs that wouldn’t rip, I swapped to the Bu40N, which flawlessly ripped a disc that would not rip at all on the other drive. Highly recommenddd.

oddeyeball
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:20 am

Re: LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by oddeyeball » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:55 pm

I'm currently using the LG WH16NS60 for around a year and after 500+ discs from my collection, it still runs like a champ.

asmcom
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by asmcom » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:31 pm
Metallikahn wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:28 pm
Isn't that a slim mount?
Yes but it is so much more reliable than the desktop drives I have gotten over 50 defective desktop drives and I just gave up on them not 1 bad Bu40n yet. Just get a USB version if your PC has no option for slim sata mount
Very interesting Billy. I have had 1 faulty BC-12D2HT other than that, I have had no faulty desktop drives and 10 faulty BU40N drives. It must be the luck of the draw. You have been very unlucky to have had twenty. I will cross my fingers or as they say touch wood no faulty desktop drives yet. The BW-16D1HT and the LG-WH16NS60 has been the most reliable drive I have sold. I have never had a return yet. I ordered a batch of 100 x BU40N recently and there was 10 faulty drives in the batch. I always process a full disc on every drive I sell, to make sure there is no read errors. :mrgreen:

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! https://bit.ly/2ybfMU1
The customer is always right :mrgreen:

Billycar11
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by Billycar11 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:42 am

asmcom wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Very interesting Billy. I have had 1 faulty BC-12D2HT other than that, I have had no faulty desktop drives and 10 faulty BU40N drives. It must be the luck of the draw. You have been very unlucky to have had twenty. I will cross my fingers or as they say touch wood no faulty desktop drives yet. The BW-16D1HT and the LG-WH16NS60 has been the most reliable drive I have sold. I have never had a return yet. I ordered a batch of 100 x BU40N recently and there was 10 faulty drives in the batch. I always process a full disc on every drive I sell, to make sure there is no read errors. :mrgreen:

Asmcom
That is quite instresting I have had the exact opposite experience I have had now only 1 bad bu40n and 50+ of the desktop drives.
But yes I too test all drives with a full BD 66 and BD 100 before sending it out.

asmcom
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by asmcom » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:24 am

Looks like me and Alex Coluzzi are lucky with desktop drives. :mrgreen:

Bye for now.

Kind Regards

Stay safe
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! https://bit.ly/2ybfMU1
The customer is always right :mrgreen:

jonghotti
Posts: 826
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

Re: LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by jonghotti » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:00 am

sup
Last edited by jonghotti on Wed May 20, 2020 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829

jonghotti
Posts: 826
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

Re: LG WH16NS60 or ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by jonghotti » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:04 am

asmcom wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:16 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:31 pm
Metallikahn wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:28 pm
Isn't that a slim mount?
Yes but it is so much more reliable than the desktop drives I have gotten over 50 defective desktop drives and I just gave up on them not 1 bad Bu40n yet. Just get a USB version if your PC has no option for slim sata mount
Very interesting Billy. I have had 1 faulty BC-12D2HT other than that, I have had no faulty desktop drives and 10 faulty BU40N drives. It must be the luck of the draw. You have been very unlucky to have had twenty. I will cross my fingers or as they say touch wood no faulty desktop drives yet. The BW-16D1HT and the LG-WH16NS60 has been the most reliable drive I have sold. I have never had a return yet. I ordered a batch of 100 x BU40N recently and there was 10 faulty drives in the batch. I always process a full disc on every drive I sell, to make sure there is no read errors. :mrgreen:

Asmcom
My God 10% of the batch was bad? I hope you raised holy heck with the distributor.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829

Post Reply