Guide for how to choose, not how to do?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
rconstantine1

Guide for how to choose, not how to do?

Post by rconstantine1 »

Hey guys, long-time lurker. I usually have been able to find answers over the years just with reading the forums. But as I've been going through this forum recently, one question keeps popping into my head that I can't find an answer to, or which I keep missing:

Q1 -- Given that one has purchased one of the recommended drives, how does one decide which firmware to apply?

I don't see a grid of features available from each firmware for each drive. I assume they aren't all the same. I've seen comments, for example, that some will disallow using other ripping or burning software while working better with makemkv. Others are possibly faster. I see too that some are identical to factory firmware except for allowing down or cross-grades. That's nice, but what features do the factory ones have in the first place? Has anyone compiled this information?

The reason I'm looking into this is that I have 4 discs which fail to rip, one of which fails to be read, but I have 15 others with no problems. I have a WH16NS40-NS50 using factory 1.02 FW downgraded from its original 1.03. I'm trying to decide whether to migrate to another FW.

Q2 -- How can we tell whether one of the keys in the keys_hashed.txt file goes with our particular disc or not? Like my copy of Bourne Identity fails with hash errors, yet there are 5 keys in the file for that, so I'd imagine mine should be one of those and so the failure is some other reason. IDK.

Regards.