Reverting MK Firmware Flash for BH16NS55

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Bronto45010

Reverting MK Firmware Flash for BH16NS55

Post by Bronto45010 »

Hello
I recently purchased an LG BH16NS55 that came with 1.04 Firmware, and have tested it with around 10 disks to ensure it is working correctly as well as checked the model number, firmware, SVC and drive platform and it all checks out fine.

Given everything everything continues to run well, I intend to keep MK firmware 1.04, however my only concern is, if I need to return it for warranty purposes, how do I restore the original firmware?

I have dumped the user data 'partition' as the firmware locked down the rest, but I know theoretically you can go back to the original firmware through a firmware .bin file, much like going to MK firmware.

So my question is, how would I go about putting the original firmware back on since LG hasn't released the firmware, and there is no way I can get a dump myself.

Would I be correct to assume that you would probably want the original firmware back on before returning, or would this not matter?

Thanks

P.S. I have not flashed yet, as this was my last concern before flashing.
mike admin

Re: Reverting MK Firmware Flash for BH16NS55

Post by mike admin »

Bronto45010 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:41 am
So my question is, how would I go about putting the original firmware back on since LG hasn't released the firmware, and there is no way I can get a dump myself.
Exactly.
However they recently started to release the new-generation firmwares, with encrypted downgrade check. For your drive this is 1.05 and you can flash it anytime (they don't provide flashers directly, but you can install their "auto flashing tool" and it will download the flasher and update your drive).
So, at any time, you can update to 1.05 with an official flasher. Should be good enough for a warranty return.
Bronto45010

Re: Reverting MK Firmware Flash for BH16NS55

Post by Bronto45010 »

That's true, I did read about that update recently, I didn't know the BH16NS55 had that firmware yet, but I assume it's only a matter of time if it doesn't. Yes that would bring it back to stock firmware again if needed and is definitely a solution.

Thanks Mike