How to rip 4K UHD on BU40N

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
swthFR

How to rip 4K UHD on BU40N

Post by swthFR »

Hello everybody
I am new here and a complete beginner. I would love to rip a Bluray 4K I bought with the UHD player I just bought, but I'm a little confused. I need your help

I'm using an iMac on Mac OS 10.15.6 (I can use a Windows 10 PC if needed) and I'm going to plug my UHD BU40N drive with USB.

First of all and before asking the community, I looked at these topics but I do not understand the procedure for my player (Many readers are discussed but not mine specifically):
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18873#p70284
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113

I understood well that I had to modify the firmware of my BU40N player for rip 4K UHD movie but I do not know which firmware version I should use and with which software I should modify the firmware. (Nor where downloaded them)
I still tried to manage and on a topic I downloaded the MK firmwares. In the folder I downloaded I found a "bin" file named HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-FR07-JM02202-211801221536.bin.
How should I use it? Is this the right one for my reader?

Easier perhaps, on my Windows PC I installed DVDFab UHD Disk Tool in Free version. Do you think this tool can allow me to rip my 4K bluray with makeMKV or not after doing the firmware modification? I prefer MakeMKV to create rip.

Thank you very much for your patience,
It must be difficult for you to answer me but I would really like to understand and do things well.
Sorry for my English, I'm French :(
MartyMcNuts

Re: How to rip 4K UHD on BU40N

Post by MartyMcNuts »

swthFR wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:02 pm
Hello everybody
I am new here and a complete beginner. I would love to rip a Bluray 4K I bought with the UHD player I just bought, but I'm a little confused. I need your help

I'm using an iMac on Mac OS 10.15.6 (I can use a Windows 10 PC if needed) and I'm going to plug my UHD BU40N drive with USB.

First of all and before asking the community, I looked at these topics but I do not understand the procedure for my player (Many readers are discussed but not mine specifically):
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18873#p70284
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113

I understood well that I had to modify the firmware of my BU40N player for rip 4K UHD movie but I do not know which firmware version I should use and with which software I should modify the firmware. (Nor where downloaded them)
I still tried to manage and on a topic I downloaded the MK firmwares. In the folder I downloaded I found a "bin" file named HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-FR07-JM02202-211801221536.bin.
How should I use it? Is this the right one for my reader?

Easier perhaps, on my Windows PC I installed DVDFab UHD Disk Tool in Free version. Do you think this tool can allow me to rip my 4K bluray with makeMKV or not after doing the firmware modification? I prefer MakeMKV to create rip.

Thank you very much for your patience,
It must be difficult for you to answer me but I would really like to understand and do things well.
Sorry for my English, I'm French :(
I don't know what firmware that one is...

Ok, first of all, what firmware version is currently on your drive? Most people end up on DE_LG_BU40N_1.00.

Usually we start by trying to flash the MK version of the same firmware, so, if your drive comes with 1.02, flash BU40N_1.02 from the MK pack. Once this flash has completed, you can then flash DE_LG_BU40N_1.00 firmware.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
swthFR

Post by swthFR »

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer me.

Your explanation is really very clear and I understand the process better.
So I flash my player with the MK firmware corresponding to my version.
Then I flash again with the DE_LG_BU40N_1.00 firmware.

Small question, probably stupid. What software should I flash my drive with?
May be I should use this method with this great video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyQV1aPlbow
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

swthFR wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:25 am
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer me.

Your explanation is really very clear and I understand the process better.
So I flash my player with the MK firmware corresponding to my version.
Then I flash again with the DE_LG_BU40N_1.00 firmware.

Small question, probably stupid. What software should I flash my drive with?
May be I should use this method with this great video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyQV1aPlbow
You could use either of the windows flashers or the MakeMKV sdftool command line. You can find threads/links for everything in the first post here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

Personally, I usually use the modified ASUS flasher. The download link in the first post of thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18933 has the flasher and the latest firmware pack.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
swthFR

Post by swthFR »

Thank you very much for your explanations.

My version was 1.03 and I upgraded to 1.03MK thanks to the command line flash video. Everything is working perfectly now!

I would like to thank you and Billycar11 for your kindness and your explanations. It's a great community. Thank you again for your help.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

swthFR wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:46 pm
Thank you very much for your explanations.

My version was 1.03 and I upgraded to 1.03MK thanks to the command line flash video. Everything is working perfectly now!

I would like to thank you and Billycar11 for your kindness and your explanations. It's a great community. Thank you again for your help.
You're welcome! Enjoy!! :D