SDFtool Flasher

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Post Reply
MartyMcNuts
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

SDFtool Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:39 am

Hi everyone,

I have created a windows GUI for the MakeMKV sdftool command line flasher. The appearance (and use) is similar to the modifed ASUS flasher, which should make it a bit easier for those that are unsure about using the command line. The latest is version 1.2.0.

26/09/2020:
I have made a couple of minor code adjustments. Also, the "RECOVER Drive" option feature is now available. I have used it to recover a BH16NS55 that was flashed with BU40N firmware.


Requirements:
  • MakeMKV v1.15.1 (or higher) installed
  • .NET Framework 4.7.2

Usage:
  • Select a drive from the first drop down box.
  • Select either WRITE, READ or RECOVER option (write is default).

If you selected READ:
You can now press the START button to dump the firmware. The application will create a folder called "Firmware_Dumps" in the same directory as the sdftool flasher, if it does not exist and save the dump file there. It will do a full firmware dump if it is able to otherwise it will only dump the user data.


If you selected WRITE:
  • Click the second drop down box to select a firmware to flash.
  • Check the "enc?" checkbox only if your drive has an encrypted firmware on it (see list of encrypted firmware below).
You can now press the START button to flash the selected firmware to your drive. Once the firmware has been flashed successfully, the application will refresh the drive list shown in the drop down box.


If you selected RECOVER:
  • A "file browser" will open so you can select the drive's current (wrong) firmware. This is so the boot ID can be obtained.
  • Click the second drop down box to select the correct firmware to flash.
You can now press the START button to recover the drive and flashing the selected firmware to your drive. Once the firmware has been flashed successfully, the application will refresh the drive list shown in the drop down box.


Encrypted Firmware:
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BE16NU50-1.04-N000300-212005081025.bin
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BH14NS50-1.03-N000400-212004211008.bin
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BH16NS40-NS50-1.05-N000600-212005061331.bin
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BH16NS50-1.03-N000400-212004210958.bin
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BH16NS55-1.05-N000400-212004211049.bin
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BH16NS60-1.02-N000600-212005081014.bin
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.03-N000800-212005070917.bin
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP55EB40-NB50-1.03-N000800-212005070924.bin
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.02-N000800-212005070935.bin
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.04-N000500-212005061142.bin
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH14NS40-NS50-1.05-N000900-212005061444.bin
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS40-NS50-1.05-N000900-212005061440.bin
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.03-N000600-212005081010.bin
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WP50NB40-NB50-1.03-N000800-212005070929.bin
HL-DT-ST-BDDVDRW_CH12NS40-1.03-N000800-212005080957.bin
HL-DT-ST-BDDVDRW_UH12NS40-1.03-N000800-212005080959.bin


WARNING: Use at your own risk!!
Please be very careful using the recovery option. It should work for:
  • Desktop drive's flashed to slim drive firmware.
  • Slim drives flashed to desktop drive firmware.
  • Old LG/ASUS drives that have been flashed with newer LG NS50+/ASUS 3.xx firmware.

Here is the updated SDFtool flasher:

sdftool_flasher.zip
(20.67 KiB) Downloaded 1750 times

Just unzip it in the same directory as your firmware files or anywhere else you like.

As usual, any issues with the GUI, let me know.


PS: For your convenience, here are the firmware files to recover the old LG/ASUS drives:

DE_LG_WH16NS40_1.01.bin.zip
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 407 times
DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_1.01.bin.zip
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 247 times

Enjoy!! 8)
Last edited by MartyMcNuts on Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD capable drives in AUS & NZ: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747

SamuriHL
Posts: 1707
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by SamuriHL » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:50 am

Awesome work as always!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk


MartyMcNuts
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:28 am

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:50 am
Awesome work as always!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks SamuriHL! :D
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD capable drives in AUS & NZ: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747

Coopervid
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by Coopervid » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:33 pm

Fantastic! :D :D

Bluntman
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:30 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by Bluntman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:26 pm

MartyMcNuts wrote:Hi everyone,

I have created a windows GUI for the MakeMKV sdftool command line flasher. The appearance (and use) is similar to the modifed ASUS flasher, which should make it a bit easier for those that are unsure about using the command line.

Usage:
  • Select a drive from the first drop down box
  • Select either READ or WRITE option (write is default)

If you selected READ:
You can now press the START button to dump the firmware. The application will create a folder called "Firmware_Dumps" in the same directory as the sdftool flasher, if it does not exist and save the dump file there. It will do a full firmware dump if it is able to otherwise it will only dump the user data.


If you selected WRITE:
  • Click the second drop down box to select a firmware to flash
  • Check the "enc?" checkbox only if your drive has an encrypted firmware on it
You can now press the START button to flash the selected firmware to your drive. Once the firmware has been flashed successfully, the application will refresh the drive list shown in the drop down box.

Here is the SDFtool flasher:

sdftool_flasher.zip

Just unzip it in the same directory as your firmware files or anywhere else you like.

As usual, any issues with the GUI, let me know.

Enjoy!! 8)
Awesome Marty this is great!!! Thanks so much for the good work. I’ll definitely use this for the next drive I sell!

Thank again wow great!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:38 pm

You're welcome guys! Glad to help. :D
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD capable drives in AUS & NZ: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747

kastaway33
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:11 am

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by kastaway33 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:18 pm

If I accidentally flashed the 1.03MK firmware on my LG WH16NS60 drive can I use "SDFtool Flasher" to Flash the 1.02MK file (see screenshot)? Will I need to choose the ENC button since its 1.03?

Thank You
Attachments
Is this the correct version 1.02MK to flash?
Is this the correct version 1.02MK to flash?
mk firware list.jpg (292.15 KiB) Viewed 8506 times
My current settings of drive
My current settings of drive
LG drive screen shot v103.jpg (121.19 KiB) Viewed 8506 times

asmcom
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by asmcom » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:35 pm

Great work Marty as always.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! https://bit.ly/2ybfMU1
The customer is always right :mrgreen:

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:44 pm

kastaway33 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:18 pm
If I accidentally flashed the 1.03MK firmware on my LG WH16NS60 drive can I use "SDFtool Flasher" to Flash the 1.02MK file (see screenshot)? Will I need to choose the ENC button since its 1.03?

Thank You
It is my understanding that no MK firmware is encrypted,so your current firmware is not encrypted, therefore, no. Yes, that highlighted file is 1.02-MK.

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong..
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD capable drives in AUS & NZ: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747

kastaway33
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:11 am

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by kastaway33 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:26 am

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:44 pm
kastaway33 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:18 pm
If I accidentally flashed the 1.03MK firmware on my LG WH16NS60 drive can I use "SDFtool Flasher" to Flash the 1.02MK file (see screenshot)? Will I need to choose the ENC button since its 1.03?

Thank You
It is my understanding that no MK firmware is encrypted,so your current firmware is not encrypted, therefore, no. Yes, that highlighted file is 1.02-MK.

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong..
Thank you for replying to my question, so if my drive was flashed with 1.03mk, can I use SDFtool to flash to 1.02mk? And basicly no need to mark it "ENC"...

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:41 am

kastaway33 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:26 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:44 pm
kastaway33 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:18 pm
If I accidentally flashed the 1.03MK firmware on my LG WH16NS60 drive can I use "SDFtool Flasher" to Flash the 1.02MK file (see screenshot)? Will I need to choose the ENC button since its 1.03?

Thank You
It is my understanding that no MK firmware is encrypted,so your current firmware is not encrypted, therefore, no. Yes, that highlighted file is 1.02-MK.

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong..
Thank you for replying to my question, so if my drive was flashed with 1.03mk, can I use SDFtool to flash to 1.02mk? And basicly no need to mark it "ENC"...
Correct.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD capable drives in AUS & NZ: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747

allomere
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat May 30, 2020 3:44 am

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by allomere » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:08 pm

Thank you for this helpful tool! Quick question: Can it flash drives via USB, or do they have to be connected via a SATA cable?

SamuriHL
Posts: 1707
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by SamuriHL » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:16 pm

It can flash USB drives with the caveat that the case it's in (if it's in a case) supports the flashing commands.

MiKeeVid
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:52 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by MiKeeVid » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:39 pm

I'm getting this error message and not sure what the issue is. I'm wanting to flash to WH16NS60-1.02 MK to get rid of the sleep bug (I got the same error message when I tried that version of firmware.)
tempsnip.png
tempsnip.png (17.54 KiB) Viewed 8078 times
Here's my drive info:

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: SIK9THADA***
Firmware date: 2117-03-10 16:50
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Status: Enabled
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:04 am

MiKeeVid wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:39 pm
I'm getting this error message and not sure what the issue is. I'm wanting to flash to WH16NS60-1.02 MK to get rid of the sleep bug (I got the same error message when I tried that version of firmware.)

tempsnip.png

Here's my drive info:

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: SIK9THADA***
Firmware date: 2117-03-10 16:50
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Status: Enabled
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
OK, if you want to flash to WH16NS60 1.02-MK, why are you trying to flash firmware WH16NS40-NS50 1.03 MK????

Your drive is on WH16NS40 1.02 so you should be able to directly flash WH16NS60 1.02-MK firmware and be done!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD capable drives in AUS & NZ: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747

Post Reply