Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MiKeeVid

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by MiKeeVid »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:04 am
MiKeeVid wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:39 pm
I'm getting this error message and not sure what the issue is. I'm wanting to flash to WH16NS60-1.02 MK to get rid of the sleep bug (I got the same error message when I tried that version of firmware.)
OK, if you want to flash to WH16NS60 1.02-MK, why are you trying to flash firmware WH16NS40-NS50 1.03 MK????

Your drive is on WH16NS40 1.02 so you should be able to directly flash WH16NS60 1.02-MK firmware and be done!
As I said in previous post, I received the same error message with the WH16NS60 1.02-MK firmware. I then tried a couple of “more appropriate” firmware versions (that more closely matched the drive model) and still received the same error message. All of the firmwares I tried should have worked, but none of them did.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MiKeeVid wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:32 am

As I said in previous post, I received the same error message with the WH16NS60 1.02-MK firmware. I then tried a couple of “more appropriate” firmware versions (that more closely matched the drive model) and still received the same error message. All of the firmwares I tried should have worked, but none of them did.
how is your dive hooked up?
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MiKeeVid

Post by MiKeeVid »

It’s an internal SATA connection directly to the motherboard using the Microsoft driver "Standard SATA AHCI Controller".

I powered-off and restarted my PC just because, and that didn't make any difference. I'm 99% sure this drive doesn't have an encrypted firmware, so I haven't tried selecting that option.

Do I first need to flash a modified DE firmware and then flash an MK firmware? From what I read, that is not required, but maybe I'm missing something...
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Mr, uh, McNuts... :D

I had a user last night that tried to flash with your tool. He had an NS40 on 1.05 (yuck) and needed to MK that thing. He said that his drives didn't show up in the tool. I didn't have time to troubleshoot with him last night so I sent him a private copy of my tool which seemed to work. I honestly don't know why mine worked and yours had issue. In any case, that user is all set but I thought I'd mention it here in case you get any other reports like that. Very strange, especially given that our tools are doing the exact same kind of drive enumeration on startup. I wish I had time to troubleshoot it with him last night but I was pressed for time.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Sam,

just release it as alternative to Marty's. Why not? Anything that helps helps :D .
MiKeeVid

Post by MiKeeVid »

I had to run the tool as Admin to get my drives to show up. It didn't automatically ask for Admin privileges. (But I never got it to flash the firmware, I kept getting the error message I posted above.)
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MiKeeVid wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:14 pm
I had to run the tool as Admin to get my drives to show up. It didn't automatically ask for Admin privileges. (But I never got it to flash the firmware, I kept getting the error message I posted above.)
In your case you don't need the new sdf tool you can use the old Asus or lg washer and it will work fine or use the command line if you want to do it the new way
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Admin mode wouldn't have helped in the user's case last night because he ran the tool I wrote successfully without doing so. It was weird. Anyway, I just wanted to report it.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

@SamuriHL,

Not sure what happened there. When the app is opening, it performs the following checks:

1. MakeMKV is installed (I decided to not use the registry, just looks for the directory in the usual location. Might have to change this)

If MakeMKV directory is found:

1. Checks that sdftool.exe exists in directory.
2. Checks that makemkvcon.exe exists in the directory.

I'm wondering if in this particular case, the makemkv directory could not be found. But if that was the case, then an error message should have appeared stating that "MakeMKV could not be found on the system."

Do you know which OS the user was on (32 or 64 bit)?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I don't. And I'm not sure if they have makemkv in its default location, either. I use the registry to grab the location in mine. Not sure if that's the difference or not here.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:13 am
I don't. And I'm not sure if they have makemkv in its default location, either. I use the registry to grab the location in mine. Not sure if that's the difference or not here.
That's what I was thinking. I might update it to use the registry.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Or use registry as a fall back if MakeMKV isn't found via directory? This is what I have for startup code:

Code: Select all

RegistryKey key = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\makemkvcon.exe");
            object objRegisteredValue = key.GetValue("");

string makemkvcon = objRegisteredValue.ToString();
            pathToMakeMKV = new System.IO.DirectoryInfo(makemkvcon).Parent.FullName;
            if (Environment.Is64BitOperatingSystem) pathToMakeMKV += "\\sdftool64.exe";
            else pathToMakeMKV += "\\sdftool.exe";

if (!File.Exists(pathToMakeMKV))
            {
                DialogResult res = MessageBox.Show("ERROR: SDFTool not found.  Please upgrade MakeMKV." + pathToMakeMKV, "SDFTool", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information);
                System.Windows.Forms.Application.Exit();
            }
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:51 am
Or use registry as a fall back if MakeMKV isn't found via directory? This is what I have for startup code:

Code: Select all

RegistryKey key = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\makemkvcon.exe");
            object objRegisteredValue = key.GetValue("");

string makemkvcon = objRegisteredValue.ToString();
            pathToMakeMKV = new System.IO.DirectoryInfo(makemkvcon).Parent.FullName;
            if (Environment.Is64BitOperatingSystem) pathToMakeMKV += "\\sdftool64.exe";
            else pathToMakeMKV += "\\sdftool.exe";

if (!File.Exists(pathToMakeMKV))
            {
                DialogResult res = MessageBox.Show("ERROR: SDFTool not found.  Please upgrade MakeMKV." + pathToMakeMKV, "SDFTool", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information);
                System.Windows.Forms.Application.Exit();
            }
Thanks for that!! Makes it nice and easy. I'll provide an updated version soon!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea no worries. Glad to help!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Hi guys,

I have made some minor code adjustments to the SDFtool Flasher application and added the download to the first post. Thanks @SamuriHL, I borrowed some of your code.