WH14NS40 issues. Where to buy the OPU/parts?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
puertorican

WH14NS40 issues. Where to buy the OPU/parts?

Post by puertorican »

Hi everyone,

I've been an owner of the LG WH14NS40 for about 3 to 4 months now.

Unfortunately, it seems that the OPU (Optical Pickup Unit) is dying. It will read a Blu-Ray disc but I have to wait about 5 to 10 minutes before the drive can read another one. Otherwise, it reports "No Disc". It will also make all sorts of noises, like if it can't focus the laser or is having a hard time reading. Sometimes, it will read a disc but fail to read the second or third layer (for 4K UHD discs). Waiting 5 to 10 minutes usually fixes this except for the layer switching on some discs.

Having said that, is it possible to buy the HOP-B711 OPU somewhere? I've been searching but haven't found a place that sells them. I know the WH14NS40 is a cheap drive, probably cheaper than a brand-new OPU, but I'm just wondering if it is also possible to find the OPU somewhere.

The drive reads DVDs just fine, so it seems it's the Blu-Ray diode that's dying.
Last edited by puertorican on Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: WH14NS40 issues. Where to buy the OPU/parts?

Post by Woodstock »

Besides the cost, do you have the equipment to align it after replacement?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
puertorican

Re: WH14NS40 issues. Where to buy the OPU/parts?

Post by puertorican »

I don't, but I've replaced OPUs on the past, specifically on Lite-On drives without any issues as long as the OPU is the exact same model. They read and burn fine. Are these Hitachi OPUs used on the LGs more sensitive than others when it comes to calibration?

UPDATE: Just received the replacement WH14NS40 and exchanged the OPU. It works fine now :D .