Downgraded WH14NS40 to 1.04, BD/UHD discs play fine in MPC-HC but now DVDs throw up invalid Region error

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MrBonk

Downgraded WH14NS40 to 1.04, BD/UHD discs play fine in MPC-HC but now DVDs throw up invalid Region error

Post by MrBonk »

Hi there flashed my WH14NS40 to 1.04 and all discs rip just fine. (DVD/BD/UHD) BDs and UHDs playback in MPC-HC perfectly with no issues. However now DVDs refuse to play in MPC-HC saying the DVD region is invalid. Windows says my region is set to 1 and I can't change it to that obviously and i'm trying to play back region 1 discs.
MakeMKV shows that DVD region all is enabled
OS device name: E:
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH14NS40
Revision: 1.04
Serial number: KL6K35D1451
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 13:51
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.04
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
Anyone have any ideas as to what could've gone wrong or ??

Thank you.
Beast

Re: Downgraded WH14NS40 to 1.04, BD/UHD discs play fine in MPC-HC but now DVDs throw up invalid Region error

Post by Beast »

I don't have an answer, but I posted in this forum with a simular problem. I have a WH16NS40-NS50 flashed to MK 1.05 firmware. Drive works just fine untill I use Makemkv to rip a BD. After that trying to play a DVD, windows meadia player complains that drive is set to DVD region 8. Like you I looked at the region setting in device manager. It showed drive set to 1. A power cycle of the pc clears the problem for me.
SamuriHL

Re: Downgraded WH14NS40 to 1.04, BD/UHD discs play fine in MPC-HC but now DVDs throw up invalid Region error

Post by SamuriHL »

Warning: This is a THEORY ONLY

Do you have MPC-HC integration setup in MakeMKV? The reason I ask is if MakeMKV enables LibreDrive on a particular drive, it gets reported as supporting all regions, like this:

Drive (Hardware) Region: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

And I'm wondering if that's screwing something up with DVD playback.

Again, this is a theory ONLY. I do not present this as fact.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

My thinking was that the MakeMKV integration is usually discussed for making Bluray decoding work.

Does it also replace the built-in DVD decoding of other applications? Can a program that is not LD-aware deal with the "raw" interface LD provides?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I'm not suggesting they're doing anything with LD directly. I'm saying that if you have the integration enabled and MakeMKV decides to enable LD for whatever reason (in the case of UHD it needs to, in the case of BD it should, and quite frankly I've no idea what it does with DVD as I've not used one in forever) that the drive is then reporting as supporting all regions. This may confuse programs trying to decrypt a DVD. Again, it was just a theory. No idea if it's what's going on or not.

EDIT:

I just tested and MakeMKV DOES enable LD when scanning a DVD on a LD supported drive. So my theory could really be correct. If you have the integration with MPC-HC enabled in MakeMKV, when it detects a protected disc, it could very well be kicking the drive into LibreDrive mode and freaking out the program. I don't know. Just a thought.
MrBonk

Post by MrBonk »

So yeah I do have integration enabled and without it BD/UHD playback doesn't work. (Without ripping).
I thought that might be an issue so I disabled it, but I get the region error without it enabled too.
I just happened to have the trial version of DVDFab Passkey installed and running that, DVD playback works just fine. (Even with MakeMKV integration enabled).
If I quit the program while the DVD is playing, the playback stops and no longer works. I can rip the DVD just fine but I like to use my PC just for playback too as I don't have as much space or time to back absolutely everything up right now.
MrBonk

Post by MrBonk »

Sorry for the double post(My first reply wasn't posted yet so I couldn't edit it), but the person who posted about MakeMKV kicking the drive into Libre mode freaking out MPC-HC was right I think.
I overlooked that part of the replies just now. And so I thought I would try it. And low and behold it works just fine now.
So I guess that *was* it.