Pioneer Drive disconnecting during rip?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
evandy

Pioneer Drive disconnecting during rip?

Post by evandy »

Hi all, I recently got a Pioneer BDR-XD07UHD to try and speed up my blu-ray rips (it is replacing an old, now unsupported samsung blu-ray drive which maxed out at 2x speed). It is supposed to run at 6x speed on blu-ray discs. This drive a little unusual in that it has "quiet mode" "performance mode" and "standard mode" selectable via a custom driver... in quiet mode it rips fine, but at the same 2x speed I was trying to accelerate. If I switch over to performance mode or standard mode, then it rips at a faster speed (2.5x at the start of a disc, getting faster as it gets towards the edge of the disc), but around 4x speed, about 2/3 of the way through the rip, the drive suddenly disconnects from the OS, thus interrupting and trashing the rip!

The MakeMKV log file contains a million errors, but they all boil down to "the drive disconnected from the OS and I can't access it anymore." - the drive definitely does disappear from the OS, so this seems like an unusually helpful and accurate error message... the question is: why does it do this? I have the drive directly connected to a USB 3.0 port, no hubs or anything else drawing power. The drive has an input for a +5V power supply (but of course did not come with an adapter)... since they're pretty cheap I ordered one that'll be here in a few days. Is lack of power likely to be the problem here? Any other ideas on what the issue might be? I'm back to ripping at 2x speed in the meantime...