New BDR-XD08UMB-S with firmware 1.03

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
herocbslayer

New BDR-XD08UMB-S with firmware 1.03

Post by herocbslayer »

I bought a Pioneer BDR-XD08UMB-S for ripping UHD blu rays, it has firmware version 1.03 from 2022-12-27, am I completely screwed in terms of ripping or is there some way to downgrade the FW?
MartyMcNuts

Re: New BDR-XD08UMB-S with firmware 1.03

Post by MartyMcNuts »

herocbslayer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:17 am
I bought a Pioneer BDR-XD08UMB-S for ripping UHD blu rays, it has firmware version 1.03 from 2022-12-27, am I completely screwed in terms of ripping or is there some way to downgrade the FW?
Yep, screwed for now. No way to downgrade these at this stage.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
cL8An45

Post by cL8An45 »

I just bought this Pioneer unit (BDR-XD08UMB-S) from newegg.ca because one of the reviewers on that site said it worked out of the box with MakeMKV. When I received it the box said the manufacture date was Dec2022. When I looked at the info provided through MakeMKV it had a firmware version of 1.01

So far I've ripped four UHD 4k blu ray discs cleanly and error-free. I haven't tried FHD blu ray, DVD, or CD yet but I can't imagine they'd be an issue if the UHD blu rays worked perfectly.

A big shout-out to the contributors on this site. I've been reading through many threads to figure out how to do what you all do and decided to take a chance on this drive, even though many people said don't buy Pioneer due to the firmware released in Feb2023. newegg.ca says they still have 4 of these units left so there's a chance they could be like mine, with the older firmware. Or maybe I just lucked out and got an older one. Just thought I'd share my experience in case there are other Canadians looking for a 4k UHD drive that works with MakeMKV.
kiranmehta

Post by kiranmehta »

cL8An45 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:25 pm
I just bought this Pioneer unit (BDR-XD08UMB-S) from newegg.ca because one of the reviewers on that site said it worked out of the box with MakeMKV. When I received it the box said the manufacture date was Dec2022. When I looked at the info provided through MakeMKV it had a firmware version of 1.01

So far I've ripped four UHD 4k blu ray discs cleanly and error-free. I haven't tried FHD blu ray, DVD, or CD yet but I can't imagine they'd be an issue if the UHD blu rays worked perfectly.

A big shout-out to the contributors on this site. I've been reading through many threads to figure out how to do what you all do and decided to take a chance on this drive, even though many people said don't buy Pioneer due to the firmware released in Feb2023. newegg.ca says they still have 4 of these units left so there's a chance they could be like mine, with the older firmware. Or maybe I just lucked out and got an older one. Just thought I'd share my experience in case there are other Canadians looking for a 4k UHD drive that works with MakeMKV.
Is it still available on newegg.com ? Any update? I am planning to buy one
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

kiranmehta wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:16 am
Is it still available on newegg.com ? Any update? I am planning to buy one
Almost certainly the major online retailers like NewEgg and Amazon do not have any old stock Pioneer drives with old firmware left in stock.

Pioneer firmware update February 2023

If you want one for ripping UHDs, your best bet is to buy one from a seller in your region. Drives for sale, Flashing Services, where to buy...