Pioneer XD08 UMB-S Not Working

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
CoffeeDrinker

Pioneer XD08 UMB-S Not Working

Post by CoffeeDrinker »

Hi, so my current UHD drive is a Pioneer XD08 UMB-S. I thought this drive would work, as I've seen people talk about using this drive on the forums before. I tried using it out of the box (it was new, unopened, but purchased through a vendor on ebay) with adding no updates. The problem is, what I thought was an older, pre-2022 drive, turned out to be a December 2022 one.
When I try to read the disc, I get
ILLEGAL REQUEST:CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT' occurred while issuing SCSI command
repeatedly.

Here's the specs

Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-XD08U
Revision: 1.02
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2022-12-27
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 68

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS9331
Firmware version: ID05

I am currently using Max OS Sonoma.

Is this problem fixable? Or am I stuck with a drive that won't work for ripping UHD for now? Ripping regular blu-ray discs works just fine. Same with playing DVDs and CDs on playback.
EDIT: I've been viewing forums and it looks like supporting later firmware is in the works, but everyone is kinda in the dark about how long it's going to be before there's a possible update? What would that look like under the scenario when it does become supported through LibreDrive? Is that as simple as--updating MakeMKV, or will it require more than that on my end? (is that still an open question too?)
Thank you for your patience, I am fairly new to this and am not much of a tech person.
bmcampjr

Re: Pioneer XD08 UMB-S Not Working

Post by bmcampjr »

I have the same drive and have the same problems. I have found another;

When I pull the result from MakeMVK and HandBrake into Vegas 21.0 I found that all the Channels of a 7.1 disk were exacting the same. This means that channel 1 is being copied to all the other channels instead of being independently copied. This needs to be looked into.
MrPenguin

Re: Pioneer XD08 UMB-S Not Working

Post by MrPenguin »

CoffeeDrinker wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:39 pm
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-XD08U
Revision: 1.02
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2022-12-27
The Pioneer firmware needs to pre-date December 2022 for the drive to be LibreDrive-compatible. In effect, that means firmware revision 1.01 whereas your drive has revision 1.02.

On the bright side, you only need LibreDrive if you plan to rip UHD disks. There are sufficient keys and certificates available online to handle non-UHD disks up to and including MKBv81 without LibreDrive.