LG Electronics BP60NB10 Drives Question

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
kevin040474

LG Electronics BP60NB10 Drives Question

Post by kevin040474 »

I am thinking of getting 2 of these LG Electronics BP60NB10 drives are they good drives for ripping UHD disc
or should i get another type

I have a PIONEER BD-RW BDR-XS07U Revision: 1.03 but can rip UHD's till there is a friendly patch to fix it
rottedmood

Re: LG Electronics BP60NB10 Drives Question

Post by rottedmood »

I also messed up and got a BD-RW BDR-XS07U (and it also came with 1.03) and was looking at getting one of these drives and selling the pioneer. If any one has any thoughts on them I'd love to know as well. The Pioneer is great, with the exception of the UHD portion. I'll never buy another Pioneer product again.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

rottedmood wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:56 pm
I'll never buy another Pioneer product again.
lol… Really? :D

The expectation is, eventually, Pioneer drives with the recent firmware will eventually be supported. Pioneer firmware update February 2023 In the mean time, as you've found out, it is still useful for DVDs and regular blu-rays.

If you want to rip UHDs now, you will need a different drive.

In my experience, some drives just don't like some discs. I have 3 different optical drives. When a disc can't be read correctly in my 'main' drive, almost always one of the other drives will read it. Having multiple different drives has improved my chances of getting a clean rip. Also, MakeMKV can use more than one drive at the same time; just turn on 'Ask for single drive mode' in Preferences. I find this handy when I'm ingesting a season or 3 of a TV show.
rottedmood

Post by rottedmood »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:49 pm
rottedmood wrote:
Yes really. I should have done more research on the unit before buying so some of that is on me. But im not a huge fan of companies modifying hardware abilities after it’s in the consumers hands. Thats just a personal preference having been around computers and hardware for a few to many decades now.

I know the expectation is that it will be supported, but that’s just the expectation and it can’t be promised. I wish there was a way I could help work on the firmware but I’m not smart enough.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

rottedmood wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:26 pm
dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:49 pm
rottedmood wrote:
Yes really. I should have done more research on the unit before buying so some of that is on me. But im not a huge fan of companies modifying hardware abilities after it’s in the consumers hands. Thats just a personal preference having been around computers and hardware for a few to many decades now.

I know the expectation is that it will be supported, but that’s just the expectation and it can’t be promised. I wish there was a way I could help work on the firmware but I’m not smart enough.
On pioneers end they are patching an exploit you have to remember that the Blu-ray aacs people would not be happy with them it they don't fix it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com