BDR-X13U-S Dead

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
ObviouslyAce

BDR-X13U-S Dead

Post by ObviouslyAce »

Hi all, this is my first post on the forum but I've been going on here for a while!

A little over a year ago I got into ripping and bought a BDR-X13U-S. It worked pretty much out of the box with MakeMKV so it's been a great year, however, I noticed a few days ago that MakeMKV could not finish reading a disk. I thought it might just be a problem with windows as I'm currently on a decently slow computer. Anyways, I restarted my computer today, and decided to also unplug the drive from power and then plug it in. To my dismay, upon plugging the power back in to the drive, the blue status indicator, that usually lit up as it was powered on, didn't light. I've played around with it, unplugging it for 15 minutes and plugging it back in to see if a longer powercycle would do anything, but still no dice. I haven't seen a post about my specific model, but I figured I'd leave a post as a hail mary to see if anyone else had this issue and was able to fix it at all.

I checked the warranty I found on the site and it looks like it's over after a year, so I'm out of coverage. In case it doesn't get to working, I'd also like some suggestions for drives to get(guess I'll get myself one as a Christmas gift :lol: )
MartyMcNuts

Re: BDR-X13U-S Dead

Post by MartyMcNuts »

ObviouslyAce wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:32 pm
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum but I've been going on here for a while!

A little over a year ago I got into ripping and bought a BDR-X13U-S. It worked pretty much out of the box with MakeMKV so it's been a great year, however, I noticed a few days ago that MakeMKV could not finish reading a disk. I thought it might just be a problem with windows as I'm currently on a decently slow computer. Anyways, I restarted my computer today, and decided to also unplug the drive from power and then plug it in. To my dismay, upon plugging the power back in to the drive, the blue status indicator, that usually lit up as it was powered on, didn't light. I've played around with it, unplugging it for 15 minutes and plugging it back in to see if a longer powercycle would do anything, but still no dice. I haven't seen a post about my specific model, but I figured I'd leave a post as a hail mary to see if anyone else had this issue and was able to fix it at all.

I checked the warranty I found on the site and it looks like it's over after a year, so I'm out of coverage. In case it doesn't get to working, I'd also like some suggestions for drives to get(guess I'll get myself one as a Christmas gift :lol: )
Sounds like the power supply may be dead. Can you try a different one or take the drive out of the enclosure (should have a SATA connection) and connect it directly to the computer? These should help you determine if the power supply is the issue or if the drive is dead.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
ObviouslyAce

Re: BDR-X13U-S Dead

Post by ObviouslyAce »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:11 am
Sounds like the power supply may be dead. Can you try a different one or take the drive out of the enclosure (should have a SATA connection) and connect it directly to the computer? These should help you determine if the power supply is the issue or if the drive is dead.
I just tried this, took it apart and it did have a SATA connection. Sadly the blue status indicator did not light up, and it also did not show up on my computer. Welp, I guess onto buying a new one, let me know if you have any recommendations!