Out of the Box Optical Drive?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
CovertRain

Out of the Box Optical Drive?

Post by CovertRain »

Hi all. I just bought a Q-NAP TS-464 and looking to get an external drive. I have tried reading through some of these forums but man there is so many options. I plan on ripping 4K,3D and older DVD's (lossless in some cases). Looking for a recommended drive that is not too expensive but reliable (and evidently flashable). Back in the day it seemed it was possible to get something out of the box on Amazon but not so much now? Is there anything out there on Amazon (US) that actually works out of the box?
blind-s33r

Re: Out of the Box Optical Drive?

Post by blind-s33r »

The Archgon is a bu40n that is easily flashable, I've been using a bu40n for quite awhile and its great for bluray and dvd's, I only have a few double layer uhd's and it ripped them fine but apparently it doesn't like triple layer uhd's much... and it also has some issues with some dvd copy protections but its overall been a very reliable drive. It does need to be downgraded to 1.03 or 1.00 with the flash tool though.

A Pioneer drive is obviously better but unless you grab one from one of the forum sellers its almost impossible to get a pre2022 working drive at this point sadly.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

CovertRain wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:17 pm
Hi all. I just bought a Q-NAP TS-464 and looking to get an external drive. I have tried reading through some of these forums but man there is so many options. I plan on ripping 4K,3D and older DVD's (lossless in some cases). Looking for a recommended drive that is not too expensive but reliable (and evidently flashable). Back in the day it seemed it was possible to get something out of the box on Amazon but not so much now? Is there anything out there on Amazon (US) that actually works out of the box?
The only drive I know of that doesn't require flashing is the Verbatim 43888. It contains a Pioneer BDR-UD04 inside and should work out of the box.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:56 am
CovertRain wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:17 pm
The only drive I know of that doesn't require flashing is the Verbatim 43888. It contains a Pioneer BDR-UD04 inside and should work out of the box.
Not available in the US. Contact me by PM.