BU40N Slim Drive won´t flash

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
vadanny

BU40N Slim Drive won´t flash

Post by vadanny »

Hey,
I recently got into Plex and started to get my old DVD´s on there, which worked fine with MakeMKV and my old DVD Burner in my PC.
Now I wanted to do the same with my Blue Rays.
Watched them on my PS5 but now got the "HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N" and a slim case for it to rip those Blue Rays.

MakeMKV tells me this about the Drive:

Laufwerksinformation
OS-Gerätename: J:
Produzent: HL-DT-ST
Produkt: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.04
Serienummer:
Firmware-Datum: 2120-05-06 11:42
Markierungen der Bus-Verschlüsselung: 17

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.04
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

Keine Disk eingelegt

So I read the Ultimate flashing Guide, downloaded the updated Firmware Pack and the SDFTool Flasher 1.3.5.

Now when I open the SDFTool and select the Drive and then select "write firmware" with the 1.03 firmware out of the Firmware Package and press start, it won´t do anything. Simply won´t start.
I tried to create a Firmware dump via the "read firmware" promt and it does it. Well it does something. It creates the Firmware_Dumps folder, but there is nothing in it, so it failed I guess?

Haven´t tried the powershell manual mode yet, because I´m afraid I´ll brick my drive if that fails as well.

Maybe someone could point me into the right direction here.
MartyMcNuts

Re: BU40N Slim Drive won´t flash

Post by MartyMcNuts »

vadanny wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:15 am
Hey,
I recently got into Plex and started to get my old DVD´s on there, which worked fine with MakeMKV and my old DVD Burner in my PC.
Now I wanted to do the same with my Blue Rays.
Watched them on my PS5 but now got the "HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N" and a slim case for it to rip those Blue Rays.

MakeMKV tells me this about the Drive:

Laufwerksinformation
OS-Gerätename: J:
Produzent: HL-DT-ST
Produkt: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.04
Serienummer:
Firmware-Datum: 2120-05-06 11:42
Markierungen der Bus-Verschlüsselung: 17

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.04
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

Keine Disk eingelegt

So I read the Ultimate flashing Guide, downloaded the updated Firmware Pack and the SDFTool Flasher 1.3.5.

Now when I open the SDFTool and select the Drive and then select "write firmware" with the 1.03 firmware out of the Firmware Package and press start, it won´t do anything. Simply won´t start.
I tried to create a Firmware dump via the "read firmware" promt and it does it. Well it does something. It creates the Firmware_Dumps folder, but there is nothing in it, so it failed I guess?

Haven´t tried the powershell manual mode yet, because I´m afraid I´ll brick my drive if that fails as well.

Maybe someone could point me into the right direction here.
What enclosure are you using?? It probably isn't passing through the flashing commands to the drive.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
CovertRain

Re: BU40N Slim Drive won´t flash

Post by CovertRain »

I have the USB version of this and it flashed with no issues. The only problem is this is spotty on ripping 4K discs for me so far. Blu Ray and DVD the rip rate is 99% so far (all have ripped but Back to the Future Ultimate Edition set). Have not done a ton yet but 4K discs but only 3 of 7 have ripped so far. All. Discs clean and 3 of them brand new.

I decided to give a pioneer drive (BDR-212) from Billy a try and see if it does better with 4K and ordered one.