Question About Pioneer external Blue Ray Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
kultakala

Question About Pioneer external Blue Ray Drives

Post by kultakala »

Hello all,

I just started to "save" my DVD and Blue Ray discs to my hard drive.
As i am having no more optical drive in my PC i just ordered and tested two pioneer drives.
The BDR-XD07TB which does not read UHD discs and the BDR-XD07TUHD which does.
What i noticed is that the UHD version reads normal DVDs and non UHD BD a bit faster than the non UHD version.
I dont really need the UHD support but it is nice to have it.
But what i dont like is that both drives does not have a standard USB port so only the supplied cable is working.
I would prefer to have a normal USB connection.
And with the UHD drive i have the problem that the PC does not recognize the drive without installing the Cyberlink Software which i dont need and dont want to install.
So i wont keep any of the drives and intend to get either the BDR-XD08EMB-S, the BDR-XS07TUHD or the BDR-XD08TG (the TB is not available right now).
All three have a USB-C connector, the XD08TG does not support UHD, the XS07TUHD does and the XD08EMB-S i am not sure.
On the Pioneer site its not labled as UHD player but in the specifications it says it can read them.

But the questions i have are these:

1. Is there any reason i should prefer a 07 player instead of a 08 ? I assume the 08 are newer but maybe have some disadvantages ?
2. Regarding the reliability is it better to stay with a top loader or are the slot-in drives also good in long term usage ?
3. Which one will be regognized by Windows without having to install any software ? Just the non UHD version ? In some A**zon reviews its mentioned that the XS07TUHD is regognized without any software but i am not sure.

Would be great if someone could help me to decide which one to take.

Thanks a lot!
MartyMcNuts

Re: Question About Pioneer external Blue Ray Drives

Post by MartyMcNuts »

kultakala wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:10 pm
Hello all,

I just started to "save" my DVD and Blue Ray discs to my hard drive.
As i am having no more optical drive in my PC i just ordered and tested two pioneer drives.
The BDR-XD07TB which does not read UHD discs and the BDR-XD07TUHD which does.
What i noticed is that the UHD version reads normal DVDs and non UHD BD a bit faster than the non UHD version.
I dont really need the UHD support but it is nice to have it.
But what i dont like is that both drives does not have a standard USB port so only the supplied cable is working.
I would prefer to have a normal USB connection.
And with the UHD drive i have the problem that the PC does not recognize the drive without installing the Cyberlink Software which i dont need and dont want to install.
So i wont keep any of the drives and intend to get either the BDR-XD08EMB-S, the BDR-XS07TUHD or the BDR-XD08TG (the TB is not available right now).
All three have a USB-C connector, the XD08TG does not support UHD, the XS07TUHD does and the XD08EMB-S i am not sure.
On the Pioneer site its not labled as UHD player but in the specifications it says it can read them.

But the questions i have are these:

1. Is there any reason i should prefer a 07 player instead of a 08 ? I assume the 08 are newer but maybe have some disadvantages ?
2. Regarding the reliability is it better to stay with a top loader or are the slot-in drives also good in long term usage ?
3. Which one will be regognized by Windows without having to install any software ? Just the non UHD version ? In some A**zon reviews its mentioned that the XS07TUHD is regognized without any software but i am not sure.

Would be great if someone could help me to decide which one to take.

Thanks a lot!
All of them should be recognized in Windows without any other software installed. You do know that none of them will allow you to rip UHD discs unless they have older firmware (prior to Dec 2022).
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

kultakala wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:10 pm
No problems with my BDR-XD07TS external USB top loader, since I posted my @asmcom review (here) I've added an external power supply, just feel a bit happier that way. The list of successful rips you see mentioned in my review has grown, I'd estimate 30 or so UHD rips now. Had a minor glitch with one disc, nothing to do with the drive, fingerprints on the disc, so I bought a pack of those great cloths that @asmcom recommends (here). As you know ripping UHD is a lot of data to transfer so it's worth a few seconds to clean each disc beforehand.

Surprised to read that a UHD friendly drive needs PowerDVD installed, that is the Cyberlink software you mean? I do have it installed as I use it to identify correct playlist if needed (links in my sig), though I can't see it being a requirement for Windows to recognise a drive, of course I may be wrong but CBA to uninstall it to check.
Windows:
Identifying The Correct Title To Rip: Process Monitor Method - GetMPLS Method
Mux/Remux: Set A Subtitle Stream On By Default (Forced)
kultakala

Post by kultakala »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:57 am
All of them should be recognized in Windows without any other software installed. You do know that none of them will allow you to rip UHD discs unless they have older firmware (prior to Dec 2022).
Yes, i know that... but i dont really need to rip UHD disks, although i managed to do so with one UHD disk using the Pioneer BDR-XD07TUHD and makemkv.
It has Firmware 1.03, seems to work.
Nucleus wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:52 am
Surprised to read that a UHD friendly drive needs PowerDVD installed, that is the Cyberlink software you mean? I do have it installed as I use it to identify correct playlist if needed (links in my sig), though I can't see it being a requirement for Windows to recognise a drive, of course I may be wrong but CBA to uninstall it to check.
I didnt manage to get the BDR-XD07TUHD working without installing the software.
Also on my laptop it wasnt recognized...

I will go for the BDR-XD08TG now and hope it will work fine.

Thanks!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

kultakala wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:43 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:57 am
Yes, i know that... but i dont really need to rip UHD disks, although i managed to do so with one UHD disk using the Pioneer BDR-XD07TUHD and makemkv.
It has Firmware 1.03, seems to work.
Nucleus wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:52 am
I didnt manage to get the BDR-XD07TUHD working without installing the software.
Also on my laptop it wasnt recognized...

I will go for the BDR-XD08TG now and hope it will work fine.

Thanks!
I'd keep the XD07TUHD as with your current firmware can rip all disc types. Just don't ever update the firmware!!

PowerDVD is not needed for any drive to function or be recognized and unless you want direct disc playback (not recommended), shouldn't be installed.

If your laptop didn't recognize it, it more than likely isn't getting enough power from the USB port.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
kultakala

Post by kultakala »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:09 pm
I'd keep the XD07TUHD as with your current firmware can rip all disc types. Just don't ever update the firmware!!

PowerDVD is not needed for any drive to function or be recognized and unless you want direct disc playback (not recommended), shouldn't be installed.

If your laptop didn't recognize it, it more than likely isn't getting enough power from the USB port.
My laptop and my PC both did recognize the XD07TB, but both did not recognize the XD07TUHD.
After installing the Cyberlink software the drive worked fine on my PC, did not try the software on my laptop.
So at least on the PC the power can not be the reason as it works with the software.

Keeping it is too late, already sent back.
But i really dont need UHD, so... its fine.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

kultakala wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:45 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:09 pm

My laptop and my PC both did recognize the XD07TB, but both did not recognize the XD07TUHD.
After installing the Cyberlink software the drive worked fine on my PC, did not try the software on my laptop.
So at least on the PC the power can not be the reason as it works with the software.

Keeping it is too late, already sent back.
But i really dont need UHD, so... its fine.
It working with the software installed was just a coincidence. The software is not tied to the drive in any way.