Issues reading newer 4k titles - LG wp50nb40

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
jarardian

Issues reading newer 4k titles - LG wp50nb40

Post by jarardian »

Has anyone else experience read issues with the LG wp50nb40 with newer 4k titles? I've had issues with Criterion's Citizen Kane and Raging Bull 4k, as well as the new 4k release of The Man in the Iron Mask. I've tested all of these in a buddy's PS5, and all play without any problems.

The Man in the Iron Mask and Raging Bull won't show up at all, Citizen Kane rips until halfway through and then gets an 2 OS errors that the device does not exits & the volume for a file has been externally altered.

The disks and laser are perfectly clean, and I've been able to successfully scan other 4k and HD titles since. Additionally, I've only been using this drive for about 6 months, so I wouldn't expect wear and tear to be a factor at this point.

I'm also aware the Criterion 4k Citizen Kane release had manufacturing issues upon release, but I've confirmed that my disk was not one of the batches affected.

I also see now that the seller on here that I bought the drive from is no longer recommending this drive for purchase. Is there an issue with this drive I'm not aware of?

Much thanks for y'all's help!
dcoke22

Re: Issues reading newer 4k titles - LG wp50nb40

Post by dcoke22 »

The drive disappearing in the middle of a rip is a classic sign that the drive is not getting enough power. If I recall correctly, the LG wp50nb40 is a USB powered drive. Be sure to plug in both plugs (if using the USB Y-cable) to high powered USB ports. A powered USB hub or ports directly on your motherboard are likely to work best.
jarardian

Re: Issues reading newer 4k titles - LG wp50nb40

Post by jarardian »

That did fix the issue with Citzen Kane, but The Man in the Iron Mask and Raging Bull both still don't show up at all. At least that's one issue fixed, thank you!