Wrongly flashed BU40N

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
J0han

Wrongly flashed BU40N

Post by J0han »

Hi all,

I received a LG BU40N-FR07 yesterday, and I tried many different .bin files for flashing using terminal and sdftool (using enc and without) and everytime the flasher told me the process was succesful (no errors) but the firmware never changed/never showed as updated after starting makemkv. Not after rebooting and/or powering off the device.
UNTILL I installed a LG WH16NS60_1.00.bin, but now drive will not eject/open (it's probably the wrong firmware).

How do I fix this? Please help, quite frustrated.
J0han

Re: Wrongly flashed BU40N

Post by J0han »

This is my current information:

Drive Information
OS device name: K:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: 908HS022858
Firmware date: 2117-04-25 17:56
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 61

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Reflashing does not change anything..
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

J0han wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:22 pm
Hi all,

I received a LG BU40N-FR07 yesterday, and I tried many different .bin files for flashing using terminal and sdftool (using enc and without) and everytime the flasher told me the process was succesful (no errors) but the firmware never changed/never showed as updated after starting makemkv. Not after rebooting and/or powering off the device.
UNTILL I installed a LG WH16NS60_1.00.bin, but now drive will not eject/open (it's probably the wrong firmware).

How do I fix this? Please help, quite frustrated.
You should have just flashed it to BU40N 1.00 as the original firmware was not encrypted. Use the recovery option of SDFtool Flasher. In the popup, select the drive's current firmware then in the firmware selection drop down box, select BU40N 1.00 firmware.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
J0han

Post by J0han »

I tried the recovery option with that firmware and it did not work. The UI always tells me the process is successful but the in the mkv overview the firmware always stays the same (except for that one time when I flashed the wrong one).

I'm actually not unexperienced with flashing, I even regularly do it for work.. but the UI always telling you everything went well while nothing ever changes? How is that possible? :roll: Never seen that before.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

J0han wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:19 am
I tried the recovery option with that firmware and it did not work. The UI always tells me the process is successful but the in the mkv overview the firmware always stays the same (except for that one time when I flashed the wrong one).

I'm actually not unexperienced with flashing, I even regularly do it for work.. but the UI always telling you everything went well while nothing ever changes? How is that possible? :roll: Never seen that before.
The UI is just a front end for the MakeMKV command line flash tool so the output is the same.

If it's not working, you're not doing it correctly.

When you select recovery, a window will popup. In this window select the drive's current firmware (WH16NS60 or whatever you flashed). Now in the normal firmware drop down box select BU40N 1.00 firmware.

It's been a few years since I tested this but it should work. I did the opposite (desktop drive flashed with slim drive firmware).
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
J0han

Post by J0han »

The recovery option worked!! (when selecting the old firmware first, the drive is correctly flashed now..)

Thanks a lot. Sorry if the information was somewhere, it just gets overwhelming (need a vacation as well ;)).