Which UHD drive is best under Linux?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Lehmeier

Which UHD drive is best under Linux?

Post by Lehmeier »

Hello!
I am looking for a way to copy my UHD movies to an external drive or a NAS.

But unfortunately I can't find a drive that can do this. Does anyone know a drive that can do this? And since I want to use it under Linux, I would also need a way to install the new firmware under Linux. Does anyone have any ideas?

If the drive was flashed as a libredrive, do I always have to use makemkv if I want to access a CD / DVD / UHD or is this also possible without makemkv?

MfG R.Lehmeier
dcoke22

Re: Which UHD drive is best under Linux?

Post by dcoke22 »

This post is kept up to date: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide

The easiest answer is to look for a seller in your region and buy a Pioneer drive with an older, supported firmware. Unfortunately, a recent Pioneer firmware update is designed to specifically prevent the drives from being used with MakeMKV. You are very unlikely to find a Pioneer drive with old enough firmware on most retailers shelves.

Generally speaking, if a drive supports LibreDrive, it also works like a regular drive in other programs. That said, some drives with the 'best' LibreDrive firmware on them aren't very good burners, but burning optical discs isn't all that useful these days. If you do intend to burn discs, Pioneer drives are probably the best at it.