BU40N (ANCK2N0) works with HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
s-a-g-b

BU40N (ANCK2N0) works with HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03

Post by s-a-g-b »

I just wanted to say that the MKV firmware in the "old" section called HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934 works perfectly with Model: BU40N (ANCK2N0). It allows it to playback UHD 4K disks with VLC Player directly, without loading MakeMKV. I have not experienced this with any other drives that I have purchased with the BU40N prefix in the model number so far.
"BU40N (AXJA3HB)", and "BU40N (S05JH)" do not allow playback no matter what firmware I use for them without a ridiculous method and sometimes random result.

With BU40N (AXJA3HB) here is what allows it to play back when using the same firmware:
1. Open MakeMKV
2. Open VLC and select "Open Disk..." then select "Blu-ray"
3. Go back to MakMKV and click "Open Disk" (the big button in the middle)
4. Go back to VLC and click "Play" while MakeMKV is opening the disk. VLC may start playing the video several minutes into the video. If nothing happens, press ENTER and wait. Once it starts playing, stop the video and eject the disk.
5. Put the disk back in the drive, then open the disk again in VLC player and everything works (including menus) until the computer is turned off again.
joker

Re: BU40N (ANCK2N0) works with HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03

Post by joker »

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of buying a HP rebranded BU40N (S05JH) and found your post. I will put on hold and see any experts can fix this. Or go straight to LG BU40N.