LG BH16NS55 1.05 struggling with UHD

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
R1pp3r

LG BH16NS55 1.05 struggling with UHD

Post by R1pp3r »

Hey,

months ago I somehow managed to flash my LG drive to a LibreDrive, I am able to rip Blurays with it without problems so far.
makemkvcon info -r shows this: DRV:5,2,999,12,"BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS55 1.05 SIK97G6ME460","THE_PHANTOM_MEANCE","/dev/sr8"
I am ripping on a headless linux machine with makemkv 1.17.3

I recently bought The Skywalker Saga which contains UHD discs for all movies - I tried to rip it, but other than the Title it cannot access the drive at all as it seems.
The disc keeps spinning and stopping and the drive makes some crackling noise, also the disc got pretty warm.

When I try to access a normal bluray (same movie, just HD) it lists all titles as expected with this information at top:
MakeMKV v1.17.3 linux(x64-release) started
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=EC0D0F39EDA7)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Processing BD+ code, please be patient - this may take up to few minutes
Processing BD+ code using generic SVQ from builtin/generic.svq
BD+ code processed, got 1 FUT(s) for 1 clip(s)

I used this firmware "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BH16NS55-1.05-NM00400-212004211049" from the mk-firmware-pack-20200720 back then.

Can you assist me in finding out whats wrong about the drive and how I can possibly fix the UHD support?
I am willing to pay for your help as well, if you can get the drive UHD ready.

Alternatively:
If the drive is not capable at all, feel free to suggest me a ready to use fast UHD capable drive to buy. I'll take up to 9 of them. (About Shipping: I'm located in Germany, I'd like to avoid import taxes)
MartyMcNuts

Re: LG BH16NS55 1.05 struggling with UHD

Post by MartyMcNuts »

R1pp3r wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 6:06 pm
Hey,

months ago I somehow managed to flash my LG drive to a LibreDrive, I am able to rip Blurays with it without problems so far.
makemkvcon info -r shows this: DRV:5,2,999,12,"BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS55 1.05 SIK97G6ME460","THE_PHANTOM_MEANCE","/dev/sr8"
I am ripping on a headless linux machine with makemkv 1.17.3

I recently bought The Skywalker Saga which contains UHD discs for all movies - I tried to rip it, but other than the Title it cannot access the drive at all as it seems.
The disc keeps spinning and stopping and the drive makes some crackling noise, also the disc got pretty warm.

When I try to access a normal bluray (same movie, just HD) it lists all titles as expected with this information at top:
MakeMKV v1.17.3 linux(x64-release) started
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=EC0D0F39EDA7)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Processing BD+ code, please be patient - this may take up to few minutes
Processing BD+ code using generic SVQ from builtin/generic.svq
BD+ code processed, got 1 FUT(s) for 1 clip(s)

I used this firmware "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BH16NS55-1.05-NM00400-212004211049" from the mk-firmware-pack-20200720 back then.

Can you assist me in finding out whats wrong about the drive and how I can possibly fix the UHD support?
I am willing to pay for your help as well, if you can get the drive UHD ready.

Alternatively:
If the drive is not capable at all, feel free to suggest me a ready to use fast UHD capable drive to buy. I'll take up to 9 of them. (About Shipping: I'm located in Germany, I'd like to avoid import taxes)
First thing I would do is get the drive of that absolute garbage firmware. Flash the drive to WH16NS60 1.02-MK. This firmware will assist the drive in reading better, somewhat faster and it removes the sleep bug.

Try this to start with and see if this solves your issue.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
R1pp3r

Post by R1pp3r »

Thanks for mentioning the sleep bug - I experienced it and finally noticed it as such.
I spent some time scripting and it *seems* while MakeMKV cannot access the BD currently, ddrescue can. It is reading a 60GB ISO right now at about 15 MB/s (still getting faster).
Afterwards I'll check if MakeMKV can open that ISO to check if the rip was actually successful or I just waited an hour for nothing.
Got some hope back, that this drive indeed supports UHD and I didn't fail to buy a proper device in the first place. :mrgreen:

I'll try to flash the new firmware you mentioned.... I forgot how exactly I did this before, trying to remember while scrolling through .bash_history
Thanks for the Input, I'll let you know how it works. :)
R1pp3r

Post by R1pp3r »

Just to make sure, you mean HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin ?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

R1pp3r wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 11:27 pm
Just to make sure, you mean HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin ?
Yes.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
R1pp3r

Post by R1pp3r »

The firmware works excellent!
I can now access the drive via MakeMKV as well as with ddrescue.

I noticed that with the older firmware the ISO was kinda damaged after ddrescue ripped it, makemkv complained about unknown volume keys.
I ripped the same disc again with the current firmware and now the ISO can be opened without trouble.

Also the drive reaches way higher speeds now and speeds up quicker. It peaked at 35 MB/s and averaged at about 30 MB/s.
A 60GB UHD rip took about 40 Minutes.

Thank you a lot for your help! :)