Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
dobyblue
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:21 pm

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by dobyblue » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:12 pm

Had an LG WH14NS40 that had the RoHS where the version was supposed to be (svc?) which let me know it was never going to support LibreDrive. Found the WH16NS60 with a late 2018 mnfc date on Newegg Canada for CDN$125 and downloaded the flasher, worked like a charm! LibreDrive up and running.

Thanks so much for making everything so easy gang, you are appreciated!

supersonik
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:42 am

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by supersonik » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:03 am

i'm an owner of an LG BH16NS55. i'm very new to all this kind of things so i was unsure if it really works this easy and fast.
but yea it does first attempt to flash an optical drive and it was straight success enabled libredrive.

i got a question, what does it mean in the main window of makemkv
"Highest AACS version: 66" and what are the consequences of it ?
i knew that AACS is an DRM which is present on any bluray disc in different version.
but is the higher the number is the newer is the movie/series etc. ?
or is what ?

also i'm not that familiar with the phpbb search engine, maybe there ar already a thread about it, how could i enable "Unrestricted read speed" ?
hex manipulating in the firmware image or something more easier ?

jonghotti
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by jonghotti » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:51 am

Hardisk wrote:Hey Everyone!

Finally diving into the Libre Drive world with my new OWC Pro BH16NS40 MT1959. I downloaded the firmware pack and see two folders for the BH16NS40, but one is empty! Does the NS50 work for the MT1959 model too?

John
Yes you want to use the bh16ns40-ns50 and the service code on your drive should read NS50 as well.

So which model of OWC did you buy to receive a BH16NS40? I was under the impression they only shipped WH16NS40s.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Krawk
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:10 am

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by Krawk » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:10 pm

I just downloaded the MK pack, noticed the 24B1ST (ASUS) missing. Maybe I am not understanding the Libre function. Does this drive work on the BD16 architecture or does it get flashed to an LG model?

ddeconin@gmail.com
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:14 am

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by ddeconin@gmail.com » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:06 am

Hi,
Is there a reason to choose one type ( DM/MK) over the other? Drive is BW-16D1HT.
Thx,
D.

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by MartyMcNuts » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:56 am

ddeconin@gmail.com wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:06 am
Hi,
Is there a reason to choose one type ( DM/MK) over the other? Drive is BW-16D1HT.
Thx,
D.
MK's are specifically designed to work with libredrive (and some only work with MakeMKV). The DE is friendly firmware for libredrive and any other software.

RibShark
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by RibShark » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Is it possible that you can modify this firmware to allow overreading into the lead-out of CDs? Currently these drives can only read the lead-in, but modifying them to read the lead-out also would be useful for Redump and DAE. I tried myself but I wasn't able to locate anything in the code.

spl147
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by spl147 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:14 pm

RibShark wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:06 pm
Is it possible that you can modify this firmware to allow overreading into the lead-out of CDs? Currently these drives can only read the lead-in, but modifying them to read the lead-out also would be useful for Redump and DAE. I tried myself but I wasn't able to locate anything in the code.
What relevance does ripping game discs have to MakeMKV?

RibShark
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by RibShark » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:43 pm

spl147 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:14 pm
RibShark wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:06 pm
Is it possible that you can modify this firmware to allow overreading into the lead-out of CDs? Currently these drives can only read the lead-in, but modifying them to read the lead-out also would be useful for Redump and DAE. I tried myself but I wasn't able to locate anything in the code.
What relevance does ripping game discs have to MakeMKV?
Audio CDs too. It doesn't have much relevance but much more progress is being made into firmware modification here than anywhere else. Anyway, I think I located the area of code I need to edit, but I can't work out how the checksum formula works. If anyone here knows, that would be nice.

m-p-h
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 pm

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by m-p-h » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:05 pm

Anyone know when this flasher app is coming for BU40N drives?
mike admin wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:37 pm
example - there are three different BU40 models - Taiwan, USA and Europe. If unsure, do not flash, and wait for LibreDrive flasher app to be released.

Billycar11
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by Billycar11 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:25 pm

m-p-h wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:05 pm
Anyone know when this flasher app is coming for BU40N drives?
mike admin wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:37 pm
example - there are three different BU40 models - Taiwan, USA and Europe. If unsure, do not flash, and wait for LibreDrive flasher app to be released.
The community versions have been available since February look here for more info https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634

m-p-h
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 pm

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by m-p-h » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:36 pm

Yeah I looked at that thread which prompted me to buy the Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD.
It's a nice drive.

I get this from makemkv:

Code: Select all

Current profile: DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.01
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2117-12-22 12:21
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 23

LibreDrive Information
Status: Possible (with patched firmware)
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.01
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)
When I stick a disc in I get this:

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.14.4 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
LibreDrive firmware support is not yet available for this drive (id=B58DD4A112EE)
So I downloaded mk-firmware-pack-20190319 and have 3 folders for the BU40N [N,R,U]
Is one of these files the "LibreDrive firmware" that the above message says is not yet available?

Since that post said "If unsure, do not flash and wait for LibreDrive flasher app to be released" I was looking for this app.

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by MartyMcNuts » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:02 am

m-p-h wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:36 pm
Yeah I looked at that thread which prompted me to buy the Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD.
It's a nice drive.

I get this from makemkv:

Code: Select all

Current profile: DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.01
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2117-12-22 12:21
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 23

LibreDrive Information
Status: Possible (with patched firmware)
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.01
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)
When I stick a disc in I get this:

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.14.4 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
LibreDrive firmware support is not yet available for this drive (id=B58DD4A112EE)
So I downloaded mk-firmware-pack-20190319 and have 3 folders for the BU40N [N,R,U]
Is one of these files the "LibreDrive firmware" that the above message says is not yet available?

Since that post said "If unsure, do not flash and wait for LibreDrive flasher app to be released" I was looking for this app.
All MK & UHD friendly firmwares are libredrive compatible.

Billycar11
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by Billycar11 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:22 am

m-p-h wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:36 pm
Yeah I looked at that thread which prompted me to buy the Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD.
It's a nice drive.

Since that post said "If unsure, do not flash and wait for LibreDrive flasher app to be released" I was looking for this app.
there is no makemkv app yet thats why i said there are community versions. i do offer remote flashing if you dont want to do this see my page https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
but i encourage you to watch my how to video for the post i linked the idea is the same for both flashers just pick the right firmware flash and done.

audiochris
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:39 pm

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by audiochris » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Is the BH16NS40 folder empty because the drive is incompatible or because the firmware just hasn't been patched yet?

Post Reply