Does libredrive mode allow makemkv to be more resilient when ripping?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
xenphor

Does libredrive mode allow makemkv to be more resilient when ripping?

Post by xenphor »

Makemkv seems to be particularly sensitive to discs that may not be in the best shape but that would still playback in a normal bluray player. Does libredrive help with the ripping process at all or is it only to bypass the encryption?
Landcross

Re: Does libredrive mode allow makemkv to be more resilient when ripping?

Post by Landcross »

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on optical media + I pretty much never used makemkv before (I only heard about it because of the LibreDrive which sounds pretty interesting).

Nevertheless, I think that LibreDrive does not necessarily makes MakeMkv work better with scratched discs. The reason that they play fine in a blu-ray player is because the player (and I think also the video codec) are built with smooth video-playback in mind. If the player comes across an error, it just discards it and goes in with the rest of the video. When ripping a disc however, you don't really want to discard any errors. You want to retry that error to make sure you end up with the correct data.

I did have to rip a bad blu-ray disc recently. It was a home-burned blu-ray disc with some movie someone made himself. I think the disc wasn't burned very well, causing some issues. I tried various ripping software, including MakeMkv, and they all failed (but then again: I barely used MakeMkv so far, maybe I just hadn't selected a specific setting). Then I came across IsoBuster. IsoBuster gives the user a choice when it encounters an error. I can't remember which options there are, but one of the options is to fill all the error-data with either 0's or 1's. The end result: the file was fully ripped (including the 'fake' data; the unreadable data) and played back perfectly fine in video-players. Well, it did show glitches at a few spots because of the dummy data, but that is exactly as one would see when playing the disc in a blu-ray player.

Anyway; my point is that I don't take LibreDrive is gonna make it that much more resilient with bad discs because the problem is not so much the disc access but the error-handling. But then again; I'm not an expert on this so if I'm spewing nonsense here; please let me know :wink:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The drive itself is the limiting factor - if it cannot read the disk, it will give errors with normal firmware and with unrestricted "RAMware". The optics and detection hardware don't change with LD mode.

What LD mode will do is remove limitations where the hardware can read the disk, but the firmware won't let you have the data.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
xenphor

Post by xenphor »

I see, thank you. Does this libredrive mode mean that even if they update the encryption of the bluray discs in the future, makemkv will always be able to rip them?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

xenphor wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:46 am
I see, thank you. Does this libredrive mode mean that even if they update the encryption of the bluray discs in the future, makemkv will always be able to rip them?
sure you can rip them but you cant play it back then if it cant be decrypted
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
xenphor

Post by xenphor »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:01 am
xenphor wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:46 am
sure you can rip them but you cant play it back then if it cant be decrypted
Then how are media players like mpv able to playback 4k rips right now if the encryption is only being bypassed with no key file?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Once a title key is known, that disc can always be decrypted going forward. However, one of the things that could prevent that is an updated mkb. If you put a disc in with a newer mkb it will update the drive and revoke known compromised host keys thus potentially blocking your efforts to decrypt until makemkv is updated to handle the new mkb version. Libredrive bypasses the mkb revocation allowing you to decrypt a title as long as you have the title key/s. No new version of makemkv required.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

xenphor

Post by xenphor »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:41 am
Once a title key is known, that disc can always be decrypted going forward. However, one of the things that could prevent that is an updated mkb. If you put a disc in with a newer mkb it will update the drive and revoke known compromised host keys thus potentially blocking your efforts to decrypt until makemkv is updated to handle the new mkb version. Libredrive bypasses the mkb revocation allowing you to decrypt a title as long as you have the title key/s. No new version of makemkv required.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
So the title keys are different than the Key DB file that makemkv used to need without libredrive?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

xenphor wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:16 pm

So the title keys are different than the Key DB file that makemkv used to need without libredrive?
No, they are the decrypted title keys that are used to decrypt.