Re: Help is my drive compatible? Wont read uhd

Post by Landcross »

M1NG15 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:48 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:05 pm
chopedvw wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:17 am

Do you have any recommendations on a external UHD and libredrive capable drive?
Yep, an internal drive in a USB external enclosure. Take your pick of drive. BU40N, WH16NS60, ASUS BW-16D1HT, WH16NS40, BH16NS55
I have a ASUS BW-16D1HT and LibreDrive is not enabled, any leads on how do I get it enabled?

I bought that drive a couple of days ago. I had to downgrade the firmware from 3.03 to 3.02 and then LibreDrive worked. Though, I believe it only goes into LibreDrive mode with UHD discs (but I haven't looked into that very much yet), which I guess makes sense since non UHD discs can be read in 'normal' mode too.
sgrice

Post by sgrice »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:39 am
How old is your drive? Does it say SVC NS50 on the label?
I got the drive a while ago. Looking at the label on the drive has a Manufactured date of July 2013. The original ROM was version 1.00, but I upgraded it some time ago to 1.02. No sign of "SVC NS50" anywhere on the drive or the external case.
FreshDumbledore

Post by FreshDumbledore »

Landcross wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:23 pm
M1NG15 wrote:
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:05 pm

Yep, an internal drive in a USB external enclosure. Take your pick of drive. BU40N, WH16NS60, ASUS BW-16D1HT, WH16NS40, BH16NS55
I have a ASUS BW-16D1HT and LibreDrive is not enabled, any leads on how do I get it enabled?

I bought that drive a couple of days ago. I had to downgrade the firmware from 3.03 to 3.02 and then LibreDrive worked. Though, I believe it only goes into LibreDrive mode with UHD discs (but I haven't looked into that very much yet), which I guess makes sense since non UHD discs can be read in 'normal' mode too.
I have the same drive downgraded to 3.02 aswell but I get no information on LibreDrive mode functionality at all.
MakeMKV just opens the disc in „direct access mode“ (normal blurays and UHD).
Sadly the UHD does not work.
How did you downgrade your drive?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

sgrice wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:46 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:39 am
How old is your drive? Does it say SVC NS50 on the label?
I got the drive a while ago. Looking at the label on the drive has a Manufactured date of July 2013. The original ROM was version 1.00, but I upgraded it some time ago to 1.02. No sign of "SVC NS50" anywhere on the drive or the external case.
That drive is too old and will not work with UHD. The newer WH16NS40 with SVC NS50 code was released around October 2015. Anything older will not work.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Landcross

Post by Landcross »

FreshDumbledore wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:10 pm
Landcross wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:23 pm
M1NG15 wrote:

I have the same drive downgraded to 3.02 aswell but I get no information on LibreDrive mode functionality at all.
MakeMKV just opens the disc in „direct access mode“ (normal blurays and UHD).
Sadly the UHD does not work.
How did you downgrade your drive?
Well, I don't think it matters very much how I downgraded. Firmware 3.02 is firmware 3.02 I think :P
But, I used a modified firmware posted on the forums here that allows the official Asus firmware updater tool 'update' the lower firmware. So, no fiddling with dosflash or whatever.
DrBazUK

Post by DrBazUK »

I have an ageing LG 10X desktop drive that I suspect will never be able to read UHD disks as it doesn't manage to display any details on MakeMKV when I put in a UHD disk... - doesn't even manage to register that there is a disk in the drive.

If I were to look at upgrading from the list of: WH16NS60, ASUS BW-16D1HT, WH16NS40, BH16NS55

Is there anything to suggest that one is more favourable than another for MakeMKV or other uses?

I know that the WH16NS60 is "officially" UHD but given the price differentials, I'm keen to save if there is nothing dramatically different in the capabilities of the others.

I can pick up a (likely latest firmware unfortunately) Asus BW-16D1HT for under £70, the LG BH16NS55 for £75, the WH16NS40 is more expensive still and if I want the WH16NS60, I can either shell out stoopid amounts for one from the UK (£225 and up) or import one from the US at around £140 including shipping and import duties...

My wallet is looking at the Asus - is there anything from the others that would make them a better bet and is "official" UHD support worth twice the initial outlay?

Thanks in advance,
Baz
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

@DrBazUK,

If you can get the ASUS BW-16D1HT cheaper than the BH16NS55 then get it. For your situation, my recommendation would be:

1. ASUS BW-16D1HT
2. BH16NS55
3. WH16NS60

The ASUS is about 20% faster than the BH16NS55. The WH16NS60 is about 1% faster than the ASUS. As you want to save money, go for the ASUS.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
craig_a4

Post by craig_a4 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:14 am
@DrBazUK,

If you can get the ASUS BW-16D1HT cheaper than the BH16NS55 then get it. For your situation, my recommendation would be:

1. ASUS BW-16D1HT
2. BH16NS55
3. WH16NS60

The ASUS is about 20% faster than the BH16NS55. The WH16NS60 is about 1% faster than the ASUS. As you want to save money, go for the ASUS.
I recommend the Asus too. Recieved mine on saturday and within half an hour I was set up and ripping my UHD blu rays. The downgrade worked flawlessly if you follow the instructions to the T.
DrBazUK

Post by DrBazUK »

Thanks folks - will be ordering the Asus shortly.

Will be back once I get stuck on the firmware downgrade :)

Baz
DrBazUK

Post by DrBazUK »

Thanks everyone!

The Asus BW-16D1HT drive arrived (from CCL computers) with 3.03 firmware.

Flashed to 3.02 using the DE firmware.

Now happily reading UHD disks.

Happy days! :D
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

You could also consider the MK 3.10 firmware for that drive. With the work Mike has done to restore UHD friendly functionality/downgradability and the bug fixes from ASUS, that's really the best UHD friendly firmware so far. If it's working and you're happy, you can just leave it alone. :)
DrBazUK

Post by DrBazUK »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:08 am
You could also consider the MK 3.10 firmware for that drive. With the work Mike has done to restore UHD friendly functionality/downgradability and the bug fixes from ASUS, that's really the best UHD friendly firmware so far.
Thanks SamuriHL - good advice. I downloaded the MK firmware from mid March and have now got it installed on my drive.

Have started backing up my disks with good effect and can now stream them to the 4k TV for less than the cost of a new 4k Bluray player...

Am actually thinking about buying some M disks now for archival purposes.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's awesome!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk